Elif by Paulo Coelho

Elif (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Paulo Coelho, Saadet Özen (Translator)

385None27,892 (3.19)None
Member:Cagatay
Title:Elif
Authors:Paulo Coelho
Other authors:Saadet Özen (Translator)
Info:Can Yayınları
Collections:Okundu
Rating:*1/2
Tags:Roman

Aleph by Paulo Coelho (2010)

English (9)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (15)
This novel marks the beginning/continuation of the journey we all need to venture. ( )
  bposinger | Nov 4, 2013 |
I held out a lot of hope in finding some profound thoughts in this book based on the sample I read. It seemed deeply philosophical, but conveyed in a very normal, understandable way. Unfortunately, that ended with the sample- as I was afraid it might. It went from deep and insightful to rambling and dull. I debated a long time before paying £7.99 for the Kindle edition, and now I'm just angry that I talked myself into it. The story is essentially about an older man and a very insistent female groupie that take a long train journey across Russia. It's styled as an auto-biographical work, which if true, well...it was rubbish, really. [a:Paulo Coelho|566|Paulo Coelho|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1201840056p2/566.jpg][bc:Aleph|11439593|Aleph|Paulo Coelho|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41reC88GYVL._SL75_.jpg|13965275] ( )
  Twikpet | Mar 29, 2013 |
  Twikpet | Mar 29, 2013 |
Yargılama grubu içinde yer alarak cadı suçlamasıyla yakılmalarında dolaylı olarak payı bulunan anlatıcı, önceki yaşamında haksızlık ettiği kadınlar tarafından affedilmek üzere çıktığı yolda sıra Türk kızı Hilal'dedir. Bunu bilen eşi onu bu kararında desteklemekte ve yüreklendirmektedir.
Bu amaçla Asya'yı bir baştan bir başa geçen Sibirya ekspresi ile uzun bir yolculuğa çıkar.

Paulo Coelho imzası nedeniyle okunabilecek, sıradan reenkarnasyon konulu romanlardan farkı olmayan bir eser. ( )
  Cagatay | Nov 6, 2012 |
Once again Coelho provides another modern day parable. The tale begins with a midlife crisis heading into adventure to renew his sense of self. As the journey starts it is filled with a plethora of aphorisms and platitudes that begin to exude the smell of cheddar. My advice is to push through this because what happens in the second half is the deep, inner work of learning how to forgive yourself.
Here's some good one-liners:
"Go and reconquer your kingdom, which has grown corrupted by routine."

"To live is to experience things, not sit around pondering the meaning of life."

"Travel is never a matter of money but of courage."

"I remember the many occasions on which help has come from precisely those people whom I though had nothing to add to my life."

"When faced by any loss, there's no point in trying to recover what has been; it's best to take advantage of the large space that opens up before us and fill it with something new."

"Hell is when we look back during that fraction of a second [at the end of life] and know that we wasted an opportunity to dignify the miracle of life. Paradise is being able to say at that moment: I made some mistakes but I wasn't a coward. I lived my life and did what I had to do."

"That is what marks out the warrior: the knowledge that willpower and courage are not the same things. Courage can attract fear and adulation, but willpower requires patience and commitment."

"When a sense of dissatisfaction persists, that means it was placed there by God for one reason only: you need to change everything and move forward."

"No life is complete without a touch of madness..." ( )
  revslick | Jul 30, 2012 |
O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for those who turn to you.  Amen.

A certain nobleman went into a far country, to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.
- Luke 19:12
The Aleph was about two to three centimeters in diameter, but all of cosmic space was there, with no diminution in size.  Each thing was infinite, because I could clearly see it from every point on the universe.
-Jorge Luis Borges, The Aleph

Thou knowest all--I cannot see.
I trust I shall not live in vain,
I know that we shall meet again,
in some divine eternity.

- Oscar Wilde, "The True Knowledge"
For J, who keeps me walking,
S.J., who continues to protect me,
Hilal, for her words of forgiveness in the church in Novosibirsk.
Oh, No, Not another ritual!

Aleph marks a return to the author's beginnings. In a frank and surprising personal story, one of the world's most beloved authors embarks on a remarkable and transformative journey of self discovery. Facing a grave crisis of faith, and seeking a path of spiritual renewal and growth, he decides to start over: to travel, to experiment, to reconnect with people and the world. On this journey through Europe, Africa, and Asia, he will again meet Hilal, the woman he loved 500 years before, an encounter that will initiate a mystical voyage through time and space, through past and present, in search of himself. Aleph is an encounter with our fears and our sins; a search for love and forgiveness, and the courage to confront the inevitable challenges of life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible