Crush Control by Jennifer Jabaley

Crush Control (edition 2011)

by Jennifer Jabaley

Member:sithereandread
Title:Crush Control
Authors:Jennifer Jabaley
Info:Razorbill (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 318 pages
Tags:YA, contemporary, Razorbill, hypnotism

Crush Control by Jennifer Jabaley

Since reading The Lipstick Apology, I thought I give her second novel a try. I had a delightful time reading this story and enjoying the characters find love.

Plot: This is about a girl who leaves her childhood friend behind after she has to move. But before she moves, she hypnotizes him into being her friend forever. Years later, she is moving back into town and in log with him. Problem? He just wants to be friends. I really love the idea of story. Two friends staying friends over years and falling in love. The little aspect of hypnotizing him and others around her, give the story a bit of supernatural drama.

Friendship: If you love friendships that carry history and develop over time, than this is the story for you. The friendships had its up and downs.When developing into love, they both dance around their feelings. They fought and dated other people just to make the other person jealous. Of course when you use others its bound to came back to you.

Hypnotizes: I never read a book that has hypnotizing in it. I have to admit that this is a very interesting aspect of the book. At first, Willow uses hypnotizing to help others, soon she started to use it for her own use. Things got crazy with the hypnotizing went to far. It’s a good thing that Willow has an amazing mother who was there for it all.

Overall, this is great story of finding love where it was all along. Crush Control is sure to please the reader with a developing love that is amazing. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Jun 19, 2014 |
What would you do if you could hypnotize people and make them do whatever you want? Or think whatever you wanted them to think?Willow and her mother are experts at hypnotizing people and making a living out of it. They moved to Las Vegas to start a new life and even had their own show. Eventually they move back to their hometown in GA and attempt to start over again. This is good news for Willow since she is secretly in love with her best friend Max since childhood. Once they are back home, things aren't exactly what she thought they would be. Max has a girlfriend and now Willow has to split her time with him and his new girlfriend. Willow knows she should take a chance, but she completely doubts herself and even though the signs are in her face, she is still so blind.She makes friends with a couple of the popular students in school who turn to Willow for help. This includes Quinton, who needed her help with sleepwalking, only Willow took it a little to far. Not only did she help him, but she made him fall in love with her to make Max jealous. Things get really crazy and she learns the hard way that playing with a persons mind isn't always fun or helpful.I found Crush Control very funny, but at the same time predictable. Which wasn't a bad thing because the story went the way I was hoping. It's a fast read and interesting enough that you will read until the very end. I really liked Max and Willow and loved their friendship. Even though they were separated when Willow was nine years old, they kept in touch and remained very close. When they finally see each other again, it was like she never left.If you're looking for something light and fast paced, Crush Control is definitely the book you need to pick up.3.5 stars out of 5! ( )
  DamarisGCR | Mar 7, 2012 |

Recommended Age: 13+

Reviewed By: Emily Tuley / AngelsCryHavoc

Blog Reviewed For: Great Minds Think Aloud Literary Community

Rating: 4 Ravens

Cute, That’s the first word that comes to mind when I think about this book. The author has found a very unique and interesting way to put the turmoil of being the new girl but not really the new girl out in the open the stresses of the character and the desire to be something that she’s not but what others think her to be. The need to be accepted and thought of more than she first might have been. It rushes through turmoil , trouble and a little bit of crazy in the end it ties up adorably and I was pleased with the ending just wish there was a little more story telling. That being said I’ll give a little synopsis of the way I viewed the book.

The story is set in Worthington , Georgia it’s Willow’s hometown , but when she was eight she and her mother had moved away to Las Vegas. Over the years she has stayed friends with her best friend Max back in Georgia and they have shared each others ups and downs always the best friends always the boy or girl the other could fall back on when things didn’t seem to go their way. Willow shortly after one of her boyfriends comes to realize that she’s in love with Max and waits for him… Finally the time has come to move back and she thinks things are going to all go her way.

Max is more than excited when his best friend has moved back to town. Things start out fine spending time with each other and enjoy the other. But as he starts to feel more for Willow he sees things going a little more out of control or what he thinks are wrong. Rifts form but not for the reasons Willow expects. Max is in love with her but due to a little hypnosis when they were young Max is struggling when he wants more than friendship all he can think about is friendship. The question is will things work out or will they just get worse.

A wonderful story by Jennifer Jabaley and I’m looking forward for more to come. ( )
  Angelscryhavoc | Feb 9, 2012 |
crush control is the perfect example of why I try to give authors a second shot of winning me over. I may not have been wowed by lipstick apology, but crush control definitely puts Jennifer Jabaley back on my TBR radar.

THE GOOD BITS
{Cute story concept} crush control reminds me of something, maybe as far as unique parents go. Whereas Elizabeth Scott goes with ex-playboy bunny, Jennifer Jabaley goes with a former Las Vegas hypnotist for Willow’s mom. Bizarre as it sounds, it definitely works for the story! All these YA contemporary books that speak of “mind control” when the mean girls rule the school, but how interesting to introduce actual hypnosis into the high school dynamics!

{Hypnotized or not hypnotized?} I think this was the main question of the story, and Willow had to determine if hypnosis was really the answer to her heart’s desire. Does she have the heart to undo the hypnosis and put her feelings out there to be possibly rejected? Especially when she hypnotized Max to be her BFF before she left for Las Vegas and he now has a super-sweet girlfriend when Willow returns to Georgia. What a dilemma!

THE BAD BITS
{Cute, but not to the power of cuteness} I think crush control could have been taken up another notch to make it beyond the comprehension of cute. The drama potential was there, but it needed a little more fuel to really burn. For instance, I think Max’s all-too-sugary girlfriend could have milked the jealousy factor and given Willow something more to untangle. It definitely would have given more reason for readers to dislike Max’s girlfriend more – or it could have really driven the sympathy card in her favor.

THE OVERALL
crush control may not have rendered me into a babbly mess like Elizabath Scott tends to do, but I feel that it has the potential to – and that gets me interested to see what Jennifer Jabaley brings to the table next! ( )
  theepicrat | Feb 3, 2012 |
Not very exciting; a girl who is friends with a boy when they are young hypnotizes him into remaining friends forever when she moves away, but then, when she moves back and rediscovers her best friend, she wants him to see her as more than just a "friend". A fluffy story that would be enjoyed by girly girls who don't demand much in a plot. ( )
  JRlibrary | Nov 20, 2011 |

Willow has spent most of her life as her mother's sidekick in a popular Las Vegas hypnotism show. So when she and her mom move back to their sleepy southern hometown to start over, she thinks she's in for a life of quiet normalcy. Except that her new life turns out to be anything but, when she kinda sorta hypnotizes Quinton, the hottest guy on the football team, to fall madly, deeply, head over heels in love with her. But what started out as an innocent way to make her best friend, Max, jealous soon gets way out of hand, and Willow begins to wonder if the mind - and more importantly, the heart - is something you can really control.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible