Guilt by Association by Marcia Clark

Guilt by Association

by Marcia Clark

Series: Rachel Knight (1)

Marcia Clark's first fiction book GUILT BY ASSOCIATION. Overall I was highly pleased by this story. The main character Rachael Knight is a deputy DA in the high profile crimes division of the LA District Attorney's office. Rachael is also helped quite a bit for the purposes of our story by a homicide cop friend Bailey, and a fellow high profile DA Tony. The three ladies working together really reminded me of what I had originally hoped Patterson's Women's Murder Club would be like (only set in LA). The story is pretty good with enough twists to keep things moving at a brisk pace. We get hints about Rachael's past but not so much info that there is nothing left to discover about her in future books. Clark's LA is also very present in the story, and it is the colorful varied LA you see in a few other writers books. I almost expect Rachael to pass Mickey Haller in the halls of the court complex.

The story itself is two pronged, Rachael's coworker and friend Jake is found dead in a cheap hotel not far from the legendary Biltmore hotel where she is currently living. Rachael explains later in the book how she comes to live in the legendary hotel, and it makes a unique setting for some of the interactions with her friends. Rachael refuses to believe the simple explanation for Jake's death and snoops around some on her own. While she is snooping she also inherits a high profile rape case from Jake's files. The rape case comes with its own set of problems, the victim's father is politically connected, the prime suspect is the shot caller of a local Latin gang, and yet nothing turns out as it seems. The ultimate resolution of both cases was satisfying and not entirely expected.
I really enjoyed this book and am eager to pick up the second in this series GUILTY BY DEGREES. ( )
  crynski | Nov 26, 2016 |
I was gifted a copy of “Guilt by Association” via NetGalley. That in no way affects my opinion or this review in any way.

This book is very involved, and there are a few different things going on all at once. Rachel Knight is a DA in Los Angeles, and is assigned to the Special Trials Division. Basically, she is involved with a case from beginning to end, alongside with the police department.

When Jake, another prosecutor in Rachel’s office is found dead, Rachel takes it upon herself to find out what really happened, despite the unpleasant rumors surrounding his death and the circumstances. She is out to prove that things are not always as they appear, and her best friend, Bailey, is by her side throughout the whole thing. It wasn’t until Jake’s death did Rachel realize that she knew very little about his life, and the people in it.

Following Jake’s death, his cases are divided up among the remaining attorneys. Rachel is assigned a case about the rape of a prominent doctor’s 16 year old daughter.

Is there a connection between the rape and Jake’s death? With all the twists and turns in this novel, you will be kept guessing until the very end. Thankfully, the author does not leave us hanging, and with that, I am truly satisfied!
  annmwilson09 | Aug 9, 2016 |
Read for library mystery book group. Not a favorite.
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
Luke Daniels
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
Marcia Clark is a former LA, CA District Attorney. She was a lead prosecutor in the O J Simpson murder case. How could I possibly turn down an opportunity to read her debut novel. I cannot help but be curious about her writing ability.

Guilt By Association is the first book in the Rachel Knight series.

Rachel is part of Special Trials, an elite unit that prosecutes high profile cases. She deals with the wealthy and politically connected . When her partner dies, she can’t leave it alone.

She breaks the rules and makes no bones about it; whether its carrying an unregistered firearm or ignoring an order to cease and desist investigating a case. Sounds a bit like Brenda on The Closer.

She seems a bit high brow and condescending at times, but I feel that is just the world she lives and works in. Sometimes I liked her and sometimes I didn’t. She’s one of those people that bulls through life, not always aware of how she treats others. She does instill a sense of loyalty in her friends and coworkers.

I got well acquainted with the characters through their work, dinner conversations and nights out.

Marcia Clark includes a lot of small details in her writing. It would make a walk to her office become so vivid, I felt like I was walking with her, like watching a mother scold a child after picking up a gum wrapper off the ground. The down side to that is the story would get dogged down and the pace became slow. I like a lot of action.

Marcia’s legal experience showed in the writing, sometimes it was a bit stiff and dry. At times it was like reading a diary. A little bit of work scaling out some of the minutiae and loosening it up with a bit more action would take it up a notch.

That being said, I didn’t for one minute considered putting it down. I enjoyed the story, with all its twists and turns. I couldn’t figure out the ends of the multiple storylines and how it was going to come together. I wasn’t quitting until I did.

A bit of humor never hurts either.

COW – Criminals with Out Witnesses

Marcia Clark's debut novel, Guilt By Association, is a mystery with multiple storylines that comes together in a conclusion that left me satisfied. I would recommend her work and look forward to reading more.

I received this book from the publisher, Mulholland Books via Net Galley, in return for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
  sherry69 | Jan 25, 2016 |

Marcia Clarkprimary authorall editionscalculated
LaVoy, JanuaryReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue

He snapped his cell phone shut and slid it into the pocket of his skintight jeans.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316129518, Hardcover)

Los Angeles D.A. Rachel Knight is a tenacious, wise-cracking, and fiercely intelligent prosecutor in the city's most elite division. When her colleague, Jake, is found dead at a grisly crime scene, Rachel is shaken to the core. She must take over his toughest case: the assault of a young woman from a prominent family.

But she can't stop herself from digging deeper into Jake's death, a decision that exposes a world of power and violence and will have her risking her reputation--and her life--to find the truth.

With her tremendous expertise in the nuances of L.A. courts and crime, and with a vibrant ensemble cast of characters, Marcia Clark combines intimate detail, riotous humor, and visceral action in a debut thriller that marks the launch of a major new figure on the crime-writing scene.

Amazon Exclusive: Alafair Burke Reviews Guilt by Association
Alafair Burke

Alafair Burke is the bestselling author of six novels, including 212, Angel’s Tip, and Dead Connection in the Ellie Hatcher series. A former prosecutor, she now teaches criminal Law and lives in Manhattan. Long Gone, her first stand-alone thriller, will be published by Harper in June 2011.

Not too many years ago, an influential friend in the literary world told me, “Legal thrillers are out.” Having just published my first two novels, both featuring Portland Deputy District Attorney Samantha Kincaid, I desperately needed this death announcement to be premature. The problem, I argued, was an overabundance of bad legal thrillers that had scarred the subgenre’s once-good name. Perhaps trying to replicate the success of groundbreaking novels like Scott Turow’s Presumed Innocent and John Grisham's A Time to Kill, publishers had overpurchased and overpromoted courtroom-centric novels by lawyers who managed to turn the term “legal thriller” into an oxymoron. Evidentiary objections, jury selection, and cross-examinations might be real goose bump inducers compared to the average lawyer’s workday, but as ingredients for a page-turner? No, thank you.

Well, I’m delighted to report that, despite my friend’s death knell, law-based crime fiction is alive and well thanks to authors who focus not on blue-in-the-face litigators hollering “Objection!” at one another, but on good old fashioned storytelling about characters who just happen to be lawyers. When the industry had all but written off the so-called “legal thriller” in favor of high concept novels in the spirit of The Da Vinci Code, Linda Fairstein and Lisa Scottoline continued to dominate bestsellers’ lists because they wrote damn good books. Today, Michael Connelly has put to rest any lingering questions about the viability of the subgenre by bringing Mickey Haller to every medium -- #1 in hardback and digital, and $46 million and counting at the box office. What makes these books irresistible aren’t the bells and whistles of the technical ins and outs of the legal system, but memorable characters and solid plotting in the hands of masterful storytellers.

With Guilt By Association, Marcia Clark joins the ranks of Scottoline, Fairstein, and Connelly. Her debut novel introduces us to Los Angeles prosecutor Rachel Knight, a member of the office’s elite Special Trials Unit. In the opening pages, Knight’s friend and colleague Jake Pahlmeyer is found dead at a seedy motel under even seedier circumstances. She inherits a high-profile rape case from his desk. While the victim’s father exerts political pressure for an arrest, the investigation takes Rachel into LA’s gang world and makes her a target. As if that weren’t enough to keep a gal busy, she can’t help poking around into Jake’s death, despite strict orders to mind her own bees’ wax.

Like the finest books in the legal thriller subgenre, very few pages of Guilt By Association take place in the courtroom. Instead, we see Rachel’s interactions with cops, contacts, and witnesses. We see the action as it unfolds, not as it is summarized later in the artificially sterile courtroom setting. We see Rachel at home with her friends. We get to know--and like--her.

Much attention will certainly be paid to Clark’s former career as a prosecutor in Los Angeles, most notably as the head prosecutor in OJ Simpson’s criminal trial. That platform will also undoubtedly bring extraordinary attention to a debut novel. But an unfortunate consequence of any emphasis upon her significant legal career might be an inaccurate perception of the book itself. Clark’s expertise about the criminal justice system leaps from the pages of Guilt By Association, but not because she shows off her knowledge of the law, rules of evidence, or courtroom procedure. Rather, her experience allows her to write with confidence rarely seen in a first novel--about Los Angeles, about Rachel Knight, about the secondary characters who occupy Knight’s world and become a part of ours. Guilt By Association succeeds because of Clark’s gifts as a writer, not as a lawyer. With those gifts, she has created a true legal thriller--emphasis on the thrill.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:20 -0400)

A Deputy DA specializing in high-profile cases, Rachel Knight is addicted to her work and fiercely loyal to her friends. But when her colleague Jake is found dead in a seedy Los Angeles hotel room next to the body of a teenage male prostitute, Rachel realizes she might not know those around her as well as she thinks.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marcia Clark's book Guilt By Association was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,078,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible