From Notting Hill with Love...Actually by…

From Notting Hill with Love...Actually (edition 2012)

by Ali McNamara

Member:lbradf
Title:From Notting Hill with Love...Actually
Authors:Ali McNamara
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2012), Paperback, 448 pages
Tags:Fiction, nook

From Notting Hill with Love...Actually by Ali McNamara

I know some people really enjoyed this (including a good friend of mine!), but I couldn't do it. I understand the concept was that the main character is obsessed w/ movies, but McNamara took it too far and made too little story up herself. The characters are flatter than 2-dimensional, and if the ooooooobvious love interest grins one more time.......... argh. ( )
  avanders | Jul 17, 2015 |
A breezy, feel-good British romantic comedy about a young woman who sees movie situations in her real life—though not always in a good way! I loved this little gem, and I'm looking forward to the second book. ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
Scarlett O'Brien dreams that her life will one day become just like a romantic comedy. Her friends and family worry about her because she seems to be dissatisfied with the life she has because of her obsession with the movies. She's engaged to be married in a couple of months but she just doesn't seem to be very excited at the prospect.

When the opportunity to house-sit in Notting Hill comes along, everybody, including Scarlett, thinks it's a great idea. Those who care about her think it will give her time away from her fiance to think about what's really important to her. Scarlett is excited because it's the setting of her favorite movie. And what better place to live scenes from a movie and prove to her loved ones that life really can be like the movies?

This was cute but the underlying premise felt weak. I would be rocking right along, enjoying all Scarlett's misadventures and then something like, "Yet another movie moment for my collection! I knew I'd show everyone!" would come up. It was unnecessary and because of that, it kept pulling me out of the story. I think this could have been slightly re-worked to change that foundation and made into a stronger book.

That aside, I really did enjoy it.

I liked Scarlett a lot when she wasn't trying to orchestrate a scene from Pretty Woman or Sleepless in Seattle. She is an insecure dreamer who feels like she's missed out on something by never knowing her mom. She has a great group of friends and she actually knows it. And I mostly like her taste in movies. Luckily, there was an index at the end that listed them all. I'm in the mood to watch a lot of them again after reading this. My poor husband...

There's another character that I really like but I'm afraid talking about him/her would be a spoiler, so I'll skip it.

The situations that Scarlett gets herself into just cracked me up! A Star Wars wedding, a Disney wedding, being escorted home by the police, hanging from a balcony... Yes, it's a little goofy, but I'm grinning just thinking about it.

Fans of romantic comedies will definitely like this one. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
While I may at some point revisit this book and attempt to finish it that is unlikely to happen any time soon. Over 100 pages in and I still have a bored sense of waiting for the story to begin. The premise sounded interesting but at least for this reader falls woefully short despite a few very funny scenes. ( )
  VirginiaGill | Jan 5, 2013 |
(167) Bibliophiles who secretly love romantic comedy films will be richly satisfied by this cinematic story of a struggling woman who nabs a housesitting job in a tony London neighborhood and, as a result, new friends, new confidence, and a hopeful new romance. ( )
  activelearning | Dec 2, 2012 |
For those who wished on shooting stars...
I didn't feel much like Julia Roberts as I emerged from the hot and crowded London underground.

She was just a girl, standing in front of a boy ...wishing he looked more like Hugh Grant. Scarlett loves the movies. But does she love sensible fiance David just as much? With a big white wedding on the horizon, Scarlett really should have decided by now ...When she has the chance to house-sit in Notting Hill - the setting of one of her favourite movies - Scarlett jumps at the chance. But living life like a movie is trickier than it seems, especially when her new neighbour Sean is so irritating. And so irritatingly handsome, too. Scarlett soon finds herself starring in a romantic comedy of her very own: but who will end up as the leading man?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

Scarlett O'Brien is in love with the movies. Utterly hooked on Hugh Grant, crazy about Richard Curtis, dying with lust for Johnny Depp, Scarlett spends her days with her head in the clouds and her nights with her hand in a tub of popcorn. Which is not exactly what her sensible, DIY-obsessed fiance David has in mind for their future.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,464,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible