He's So Not Worth It (He's So/She's So…

He's So Not Worth It (He's So/She's So Trilogy) (edition 2011)

by Kieran Scott

83None144,295 (3.95)None
Member:Bookswithbite
Title:He's So Not Worth It (He's So/She's So Trilogy)
Authors:Kieran Scott
Info:Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (2011), Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:*****

He's So Not Worth It by Kieran Scott

Mrs. Beamer's Review:
I was looking forward to reading this trilogy...the book covers drew me in (loved them!)... and I wasn't disappointed. I read all three books in four days :) While nothing earth-shattering happened, the books managed to hold my interest. Honestly, while reading into the early hours of the morning I kept asking myself "why can't I put these books down?"...and I truly couldn't come up with a better answer other than "I want to keep reading them."

I enjoyed the settings and characters. Ms. Scott does a wonderful job describing the different settings...I especially liked the beach house. However, I had a really hard time picturing the characters. Crazy, right?! I think Ally was a brunette? And Jake was model-gorgeous. Other than that, I don't remember anything too specific about the other characters. I love Lincoln and Annie...probably because Ms. Scott does a good job developing them. Or, it could be because they are oddballs and I love oddballs :) Also, my favorite part of the books are Annie's journal entries - HILARIOUS!

I highly recommend these books to female teens. They remind me of the Sweet Valley High books, in a way. I'm sure they will circulate well in my library. These books are a nice escape from reality that don't require deep thinking - sometimes just what you need! I look forward to reading more books by this author.

My Favorite Quote (from book #3): "He turned and looked me directly in the eye. 'If you were my girl, I'd thank anyone who kept you from going splat'."

Mrs. Beamer’s advisory rating: 0-5 (0=none, 5=lots) click here for more info
Language: 3
Violence: 0
Sexual Content: 2
Drugs/Alcohol: 1
Potential Controversial Topics: I will not list any due to potential spoilers. ( )
  AmieBeamer | Dec 20, 2012 |
10th to 12th grade. Captivating and fast-paced, Kieran Scott delivers a Young Adult sequel worthy of She's So Dead to Us as He's So Not Worth It is worth the wait. Now Ally is reunited with her father, but has to continue to process how she feels after having been abandoned by him for two years. She also has to now watch her mother remain estranged from him and pursue her new relationship instead. She and her ex- almost- boyfriend Jake continue to try to repair their relationship amidst fallout from infighting of their affluent, yet imploding, social group called the Cresties. The book is just as fast paced and gripping as the first. Readers will guffaw at a whole new 'crest' of trashy social mistakes. Yet librarians be warned, characters do drink and have sex, although the book though it is not explicit about sexual details past kissing and touching through clothes. Also Scott is careful to have these experiences within a structure of evaluating the characters' choices. For example a character gets a hangover, but accepts her mother's authority the next day. However more seriously, one character sleeps with two guys in one night and then finds out she is pregnant. This book is highly recommended to public libraries. With books like He's So Not Worth It and the Non-Blonde Cheerleader series, readers will avidly look for Kieran Scott books. ( )
  JeneenNammar | Oct 24, 2011 |
Note: This review does not contain any spoilers.

This is Book Two of the “She’s So Dead To Us” trilogy. At the end of Book One, I had one of those GAAAAHHH moments upon realizing the book “ended” [loosely speaking] with a cliffhanger. Ergo, not only did I have to RE-READ Book One before starting on Book Two, but Book Two does THE SAME THING. GAAAAHHH!

These are fun books though, even though in Book Two, Ally, the main character, morphs into a sullen, surly, self-absorbed version of the sweet, spunky girl of the first book. In She’s So Dead to Us, one wonders how anyone could resist this appealing character. In He’s So Not Worth It however, one wonders why the title wasn’t “SHE’s So Not Worth It.”

Brief summary of Book One: Ally Ryan’s world is turned upside down when her family must abruptly leave “The Crest” in Orchard Hill, New Jersey - a small neighborhood where the rich people live - and escape to her grandparents’ house in Maryland. Ally’s father, an investor, has lost all their money, as well as most of the savings of all of their friends on The Crest. As if that weren't devastating enough, after two weeks in Maryland, the father abandons them and doesn’t return. Eighteen months pass before Ally’s mother saves to return to Orchard Hill (albeit in the poorer section), but Ally and her mother are shunned by their old friends. Nevertheless, Ally, now seventeen, begins a surreptitious relationship with same-aged Jake Graydon, the “hot” boy who now occupies her room in her former house. But Ally’s old friends are determined to destroy her as thoroughly as Ally’s father destroyed their lives.

On to Book Two:

This book is interspersed with the notebook observations of Ally’s new friend Annie, who takes over the job of being fun and genuine, since Ally clearly is no longer in those categories.

Ally’s mother is now dating, and Ally resents her for it, and hates the new guy, Gray, who has the nerve to try to be nice to her when he is not her father! They all head off with other “Cresties” to spend the summer at Gray’s place at the New Jersey shore, but Ally is determined to be as antagonistic and unpleasant as possible.

She is so self-absorbed and grouchy that even other characters get sick of it (along with the readers, one might add). As one character shouts: "‘I am so sick of hearing about you and your problems with your mother and how your dad bailed on you and wah, wah, wah,’ he said, his eyes blazing. ‘News flash, Crestie Girl, everyone’s lives suck! The only difference between you and the rest of us is that we don’t spend every waking second whining about it.'”

Alas, this does not produce an epiphany for Ally. It only makes her feel hostile toward the speaker, Cooper, a “hot” boy Ally meets at the shore.

Eventually, Ally’s rebelliousness gets her into trouble, and she finds out who her real friends are. Maybe. There’s that cliffhanger at the end…

Discussion: Both books are told in alternating chapters narrated by Jake and Ally. Book Two adds frequent interludes by Annie’s “Daily Field Journal,” injecting much-needed humor and warmth to mitigate all the melt-downs in Book Two. And almost everybody is having melt-downs (or personality changes).

Interestingly, much of the Sturm and Drang comes from a puzzling lack of introspection by all of the characters, who each make at least one bad choice in behavior. After the mistake, the character is then punished and/or shunned, and is crushed by the repercussions of having made just one mistake. And yet, when the next character comes along and makes a mistake, all the previous mistake-makers join in with the punishment and shunning. These Orchard Hill people are not much for reflection and self-examination.

But that’s part of their characters, which are really quite well drawn. Scott has great instincts for limning the thought-patterns of both teenagers and adults. You may want to send everyone to his or her room, and yet you’ll be admiring the profiles that made you feel this way. Further, the characters manage to stay likeable and real in all their permutations.

Evaluation: Entertaining teen trauma, but personally, I’d wait for the third book since the first two don’t actually end. Note for Moms: no explicit sex and no drugs, but there is drinking, implied sex, and lots of the F word. ( )
  nbmars | Aug 4, 2011 |
This book was absolutely AMAZING!!! Anyone who thinks any less of it is insane! Even though it took a while for this book to come out after She's So Dead to Us, it was TOTALLY worth the wait. The characters were as crazy, lovable, and annoying as ever (in a good way) that I found myself talking about them as if they were actually real people. The plot was incredible and ended with an INSANE cliffhanger that made my eyes literally bulge out of their sockets. Kieran Scott is one of my absolute favorite authors, so it's no surprise that this book was so good, but I still love the feeling of reading a book that I can't put down for anything (I was literally reading all day). I actually felt like I was part of the story and there were always twists and turns in the plot that made it not boring, yet not too jumpy. I love everything about this series and CANNOT wait for the next book to come out. I will be counting down the days just so I can figure out what happens next to my new favorite characters (even if their relationship is so up and down), Ally and Jake! So seriously, if you haven't read any of Kieran Scott's books, you need to! You're missing out on some of the best books I have ever read! So read it now!! ( )
  Jessica5 | Jun 30, 2011 |
He's So Not Worth It is the second book in Kieran Scott's contemporary series She's So Dead To Us. I ended up starting this series sort of backwards, because I read an E-ARC of He's So Not Worth It that I mananged to snag from S&S Galley Grab last month before I realized it was the second book. I still read it anyway and really enjoyed it. It was the perfect light fun read that I needed. Even though I have still yet to read the first novel (which, I now own a copy of and will be reading at some point over the summer) I was able to follow along with the story and figure out who the character's where in relation to one another and whether or not they were friends, frenemies, or a couple.

I enjoyed Annie and her field journals the most, I think. They had a very Veronica-esque (Mars that is) feeling to them, plus it was fun seeing her all super-sleuthing it up like she was studying the Cresties as if it was all some huge social project or something. To her, it probably was. Observe A in their natural habitat, but what happens to B when C slips them a little something something that's not so natural? Tune in next time...it was hilarious. Plus, she was just a really good friend to Ally, even though Ally said some pretty horrible things to her out on the beach that one night.

Speaking of Ally, I was frustrated with her but I also sort of felt a small bit of sympathy for as well. I mean, I can understand acting out a little bit when you're dealing with the kind of crap that she's having to deal with and being publically humiliated like that by people who are supposed to be your friends, but to just spiral down like that and act like a bitca on an one or two occassions just isn't cool at all.

Overall, though, in the end I'm kind of glad that she ended up with Jake even though I felt like that was a bit too happy ending-ish for me. I mean, it was a little too easy after the summer that they'd both had and I kind of wish that Jake would have just been like, look let's take it slow, build on our friendship, and then just go from there. But, I suppose I can be okay with it, since I was essentially rooting for the two of them the whole entire book and loved that he just sort of went on a break from his job, drove down to the shore, and like risked house arrest just for her.

So, all in all, pretty fun book. Definitely read it, it gets three and a half stars from me of course. Here's to hoping the first book is as good as the second. ( )
  suz.haugland | Jun 16, 2011 |
For Matt and Brady

Told in two voices, Allie and Jake continue to be bombarded by family issues and pressures from the "Cresties" and their poorer counterparts as they spend a summer dealing with the fallout of their breakup.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,428,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible