Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright

Red Riding Hood (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright, David Leslie Johnson

Member:alsvidur
Title:Red Riding Hood
Authors:Sarah Blakley-Cartwright
Other authors:David Leslie Johnson
Info:Poppy (2011), Edition: Mti, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*
Tags:fantasy, fairy tales, folk tales, media tie-in, made into movie

Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright (2011)

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (Kerian)
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (16AnnabelleC)
    The Swan Kingdom by Zoe Marriott (Kerian)
    Kerian: A retelling of another great fairytale.
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (Kerian)
    Kerian: I think teens who like Red Riding Hood will love this, especially ones who can't get enough of werewolves. Adults and/or classic literature fans, I recommend to you Little Women & Werewolves.

English (36)  Spanish (2)  All languages (38)
Torn between two and three stars on this one, but I'll be a kinder, gentler reader and give it three. The story was ok - I did like some of the characters, in particular Valerie, Peter, Grandmother and Claude - but the story has no sense of closure.

The townspeople are at one moment scared and the next fearless, at one moment cruel and heartless, and the next united against the obvious evil in their midst. Sounds interesting, right, and full of drama and mystery? The problem is, I just didn't buy it. Where were their motivations? They never really became clear other than at the most basic, surface-level.

And what of the over-hyped "love triangle?" Basically, it is non-existant. Valerie is constant in her affections for one man only, and I never felt any real tension in her character on that score.

The thing that bugged so many other reviewers - the complete lack of an ending or of any catharsis at all - also bothered me. I get it, you don't want us to know who the wolf is. But let me tell you something, I better find out when I go see the movie next month! If there is one thing I hate more than books with no endings, it is movies with no endings!

Ugh! I'm resisting the urge to scroll up and give this book 2 stars instead of 3 now. I'm just not sure it was worth my time. Hopefully it will pay off in a big way once I've seen the movie. Stay tuned... ( )
  susanbevans | Jul 1, 2014 |
Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost.

Valerie was not who she had been. She felt parts of herself softly crumbling off, like a cliff falling into the sea.

Looking back at this book, I didn't find it to be very memorable at all. I couldn't connect with any of the characters, Valerie included, and to be downright honest with you? I actually think that I liked the movie more. And that never happens. It was a pretty big disappointment, storywise. I was expecting some big twist, with a terrifying take on an old fairytale - which unfortunately didn't happen. It was kind of blegh.

Valerie's character was like cardboard. I feel like she didn't think through any of her decisions, and really she just had no pizzazz. Even her feelings of "love" were flat and underdeveloped. Not to mention the fact that the poor girl is an idiot. I'm not even being mean. But really, she is. It seemed like every five minutes, her opinion on who the wolf was changed... and she stabbed her boyfriend. Real smart, sweetie. (Don't worry, he still "loves" her.)

You know what? Now is the perfect time to talk about the feelings of instalove! Blegh! Let us all fall madly in love with each other over nothing! Grrr. Not only did Red Riding Hood have a terrible case of instalove, it also had a love triangle. A badly done love triangle, that basically made me want to eat my ball cap or something. No romance! No feelings! But don't forget, we're madly in love! (Also, I don't remember if this happens in the book - if it did, I rolled my eyes - but in the movie, he tells her that he'll "eat her up". SERIOUSLY.)

The point of view switched several times without warning, and while it wasn't very confusing, it was pretty annoying. It killed me. And let's not even mention how open the ending was - like really bad open. AND THE LAST CHAPTER IS ON THE INTERNET. *RAGE FACE* I'm not even going to pretend that it was a good ending. It was predictable, dumb, and everything I don't want in an ending.

All in all, Red Riding Hood was okay... but I have many rants on it. So it wasn't great - only read it if you like the movie, I guess. Because everything that happened in the book was in the movie - and the book was written to "give more life" to the screenplay. Fail. ( )
  MVTheBookBabe | Mar 4, 2014 |
Well, I was intrigued to finally learn which character was really the wolf. Three stars, because minor characters weren't developed more and the main character flip-flopped between the two love interests way too easily. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm interested enough to rent it. ( )
  vonze | Feb 6, 2014 |
Did quite make 3-1/2 to get rounded up but pretty close. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |
I'm not sure what to say, other than that I didn't care about the book, the characters in the books, or what happened. I hadn't seen the movie before I read the book and after reading the author's intro I was interested to see how much detail the book went into. (I plan to compare it with the movie.) I guess I expected more knowing the director's thoughts on the book.

It was a fast read, I didn't realized how many pages had passed as I read. I finished it, though I was a bit annoyed I had to go online to get the last chapter. I guess I cared enough to go find the last chapter. Maybe it was just that I was unsatisfied with 'end' of the book. ( )
  sailorfigment | Apr 25, 2013 |

Sarah Blakley-Cartwrightprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Casal, LizCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hardwicke, CatherineIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hermoso Oliveras, Julio IgnacioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moon, ErinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Phillips, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Catherine, Lauren, Laurie, and Renee, four incredible women
From the towering heights of the tree, the little girl could see everything.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316190853, Paperback)

Valerie's sister was beautiful, kind, and sweet. Now she is dead. Henri, the handsome son of the blacksmith, tries to console Valerie, but her wild heart beats fast for another: the outcast woodcutter, Peter, who offers Valerie another life far from home.

After her sister's violent death, Valerie's world begins to spiral out of control. For generations, the werewolf has been kept at bay with a monthly sacrifice. But no one is safe. When an expert wolf hunter arrives, the villagers learn that the creature lives among them - it could be anyone in town.

It soon becomes clear that Valerie is the only one who can hear the voice of creature. The Wolf says she must surrender herself before the Blood Moon wanes . . . or everyone she loves will die.

This is a dangerous new vision of a classic fairy tale, and for readers who want even more of Valerie's riveting story, a bonus chapter that extends the drama is available at http://www.redridinghoodbook.com/.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:54 -0400)

The body of a young girl is discovered in a field of wheat. Her flesh mutilated by telltale claw marks. The Wolf has broken the peace. When Valerie learns that her sister has been killed by the legendary creature, she finds herself at the center of a dark mystery, one that has plagued her village for generations. It is revealed that the werewolf lives among them, and everyone in the village immediately becomes a suspect. Could her secret love Peter be behind the attacks on her town? Is it her betrothed, Henry? Or someone even closer to her? As the men in the village hunt for the beast, Valerie turns to her grandmother for help. She gives Valerie a handmade red riding cloak, and guides her through the web of lies and deception that has held her town together for so long. Will Valerie discover the werewolf's identity before the town is ripped apart? This is a dangerous new vision of a classic fairy tale, the happy ending could be hard to find.--Amazon.com.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,795,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible