Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright

Red Riding Hood (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright, David Leslie Johnson

Member:alsvidur
Title:Red Riding Hood
Authors:Sarah Blakley-Cartwright
Other authors:David Leslie Johnson
Info:Poppy (2011), Edition: Mti, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*
Tags:fantasy, fairy tales, folklore, media tie-in, made into movie, YA

Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright (2011)

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (Kerian)
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (16AnnabelleC)
    The Swan Kingdom by Zoe Marriott (Kerian)
    Kerian: A retelling of another great fairytale.
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (Kerian)
    Kerian: I think teens who like Red Riding Hood will love this, especially ones who can't get enough of werewolves. Adults and/or classic literature fans, I recommend to you Little Women & Werewolves.

English (41)  Spanish (2)  All languages (43)
So now that I'm done, I decided to start over with my review. Part one was indeed different, like a prologue to the story, in the movie Peter is always part of Valerie's life but in the book he was absent for so long.

But when we enter part two, you could see that the book follows the movie to a fault! But the author seems to dislike Peter and Valerie, when she describes some feeling or event, I feel I disagree with her analyze. She omitted so many beautiful lines and the whole ending of the movie.

Still I expected more than that or at least something a bit different. I didn't like this book. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Intriguing premise to retell the story of Little Red Riding Hood! This book follows the original closely, even down to filling the belly of the wolf's body with heavy stones. The back stories of the characters are nice additions and very plausible in a story that has wolves talking.

It was a nice, easy read, which I needed after finishing my last (rather intense) book. I read this one in a few hours.

Recommended as a great "palate cleanser" between books. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
THIS BOOK HAD ME ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT THE WHOLE TIME. IT WAS AN GREAT READ. YOU TY TO FIGURE OUT WHO THE WOLF IS AND THE TRUTH JUST BLOWS YOU AWAY. i NEVER GUESSED THAT EXPLOSIVE ENDING!!!!! ( )
  silverdshay123 | Jun 23, 2015 |
Good to read after watching the movie! ( )
  sgcastellini | Feb 6, 2015 |
Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright presents a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood.

Valerie is loved by two men in a town plagued by a wolf who comes at the blood moon to kill. The town and the wolf have had a treaty of sorts for many years. Each family--at their time--sacrifices one of their animals during the blood moon to feed the Wolf. It's been this way Valerie's entire life, but things change when the Wolf kills a beautiful girl of the village whom Valerie loves. As the novel progresses, every character is suspected as being the Wolf, so no one can be trusted. As the reader vacillates between the two men who love Valerie (yes, one is named Peter), the reader questions if one is the Wolf--obviously, is Peter the Wolf?

This novel is a simply written novel--it seems like a first novel. It's better than anything I can write, but it's far from well-written. It's almost too silly in its attempts to keep you guessing as to who the Wolf is. Will she pick the obviously choice or go for some character you don't expect? Therefore, you guess almost everyone so that you won't be wrong in the end. It's very much a fluffy novel that has a very different ending than I've ever seen before that I recall. ( )
  acargile | Oct 4, 2014 |

Moon, ErinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pfleiderer, ReinerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Phillips, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Catherine, Lauren, Laurie, and Renee, four incredible women
From the towering heights of the tree, the little girl could see everything.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316190853, Paperback)

Valerie's sister was beautiful, kind, and sweet. Now she is dead. Henri, the handsome son of the blacksmith, tries to console Valerie, but her wild heart beats fast for another: the outcast woodcutter, Peter, who offers Valerie another life far from home.

After her sister's violent death, Valerie's world begins to spiral out of control. For generations, the werewolf has been kept at bay with a monthly sacrifice. But no one is safe. When an expert wolf hunter arrives, the villagers learn that the creature lives among them - it could be anyone in town.

It soon becomes clear that Valerie is the only one who can hear the voice of creature. The Wolf says she must surrender herself before the Blood Moon wanes . . . or everyone she loves will die.

This is a dangerous new vision of a classic fairy tale, and for readers who want even more of Valerie's riveting story, a bonus chapter that extends the drama is available at http://www.redridinghoodbook.com/.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:00 -0400)

The body of a young girl is discovered in a field of wheat. Her flesh mutilated by telltale claw marks. The Wolf has broken the peace. When Valerie learns that her sister has been killed by the legendary creature, she finds herself at the center of a dark mystery, one that has plagued her village for generations. It is revealed that the werewolf lives among them, and everyone in the village immediately becomes a suspect. Could her secret love Peter be behind the attacks on her town? Is it her betrothed, Henry? Or someone even closer to her? As the men in the village hunt for the beast, Valerie turns to her grandmother for help. She gives Valerie a handmade red riding cloak, and guides her through the web of lies and deception that has held her town together for so long. Will Valerie discover the werewolf's identity before the town is ripped apart? This is a dangerous new vision of a classic fairy tale, the happy ending could be hard to find.--Amazon.com.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible