As I Wake by Elizabeth Scott

Authors:Elizabeth Scott
Info:Speak (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***

As I Wake by Elizabeth Scott

I read this book in a fairly short amount of time and found it interesting. It certainly took the story to a place I didn’t event think of.

Plot: The plot is a little confusing yet intriguing in the beginning. We meet a girl who has no idea who she is. Yet she is surrounded by people who seem to know her. She finds friends immediately who know her past and began to piece together her memory. The plot moves at a good pace that has me wanting to know more and more as I turn the pages. With each memory that is return to Ava, I began to wonder what is Ava? Who is she really? The plot leads on to such a more interesting plot twist that in the end, I was taken back.

Time-travel: This book has a bit to do with time travel or rather time jumping. There are still parts of the book that left me a bit confused but overall I was able to piece it together in the end. I think I would of like this story a bit more had there been more history on Ava and where she came from intially. There really isn’t much information on who or what Ava and the people are so it left me compelled to know more.

Ending: The ending is bittersweet to what Ava has been fighting all along and didn’t even realize it. LOVE. It’s all about soul mates and the fight to be with one another. In the end, this story is like lovers who never got the chance because the timing just sucked. Still, I’m anxious to know what could have been.

The story is pretty interesting for a short story. It does pack in a lot of information but lacks on history of the characters. In the end it’s good and I would picked up the next book should there be one. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Jun 19, 2014 |

I don't think this book quite deserves the low average rating it currently has (3.07 the last time I checked) but I can sort of see why it got it. To fully appreciate this novel you would have to be a very specific type of reader, one that it's going to be difficult to find. You would have to be a fan of dystopia that is more about the characters than the world building, you would also have to like a bit of starcrossed romancing but minus the happy endings, and you'd have to be okay with not knowing what the hell is going on for about 80% of the book.

That last thing I mentioned didn't bother me too much, in fact it was the 20% where I did understand what was happening where the story became tedious and highly repetitive. Whilst the mystery of Ava's sudden amnesia and the mysterious memories that don't quite fit with the life she's been introduced to is ongoing, I was glued to the pages in wonder. People repeatedly call the book confusing, well, I get where they're coming from but - trust me - if I can wrap my head around it then anyone can. I don't think the accurate term is "confusing", it's weird, unexpected and mysterious but there's nothing particularly difficult to understand. What people mean when they say "confusing" is that they didn't know why certain things were happening - but that's all part of the story's mystery!

The book's writing style didn't do it any favours, though. It was odd and disjointed, perhaps this is Elizabeth Scott's preferred style as she also uses it in the only other book I've read by her: Living Dead Girl. The difference was that the narrator in Living Dead Girl was very young when she was kidnapped which would allow for her short, simplistic sentences, whereas Ava should sound like someone in their late teens (but doesn't).

I also didn't care for the way Scott kept repeating the same things over and over, it was like an endless circle and it happened with different matters throughout the novel. How many times were we told that Jane was her mother, and yet not her mother, that she recognised her but at the same time not her, a different her, in a different time? Perhaps this sounds weirdly interesting to you, but after reading it for the twentieth time it's nothing but an annoyance. Also Morgan, she loves him but they could never be together, but she can't live without him, but if she really loves him then she'll have to let him go... and on... and on.

It feels somewhat like a waste of an idea that was very original. The story is a whole new take on dystopia, told from a new and interesting angle, but there were just too many things that kept me from loving it. Still, I did like it.
  emleemay | Mar 30, 2013 |
This was certainly an unusual book to read, to say the least. It centres on Ava, a 17 year old who remembers nothing about her life until now. Her memories slowly surface, but they're memories of another world; a world where every move is scrutinised and trust is thin on the ground. She sees some of the faces that are present in this life, but they have very different lives. And then there's Morgan. Ava's job in her previous world was to watch him closely, having been trained to watch for anything that might pose a threat to the government. A forbidden romance starts between them, which, if discovered, will cost both their lives. Then he unexpectedly appears in her new life, and she starts to get some answers about who she is and why she's suddenly in a whole new world living a brand new life.

I liked this book to an extent, but I have to say that it was very disappointing at the same time. The cover and synopsis looked and sounded really interesting, but when I started reading, my enjoyment at the novel was marred by the huge sense of confusion that I felt. I carried on reading, hoping that things would become clearer later on. They did, but only by a small amount. Mystery's all well and good, but when you don't even understand what's happening more than half the time, it kind of loses its purpose. I felt there were too many loose ends, and I was left to figure a lot of stuff out for myself. As well as that, Ava's memories and current life were mixed up, with no clear line between them. The two different times seemed to overlap, and mix, so it was a little overwhelming. Also, the language is somewhat broken up. It doesn't read like you'd expect it to, or like you'd expect a 17 year old girl to talk or think.

Overall, I both liked and disliked this book. It's an interesting mix of genre, and for me, there was just something about it that kept me going. But it wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be. I would have liked more explanations and more clarity - and a better ending. It was a little anti-climatic. So, very much a mixed opinion on my part. ( )
  AaIshah | Dec 21, 2012 |
As I Wake is a confusing read, but it still draws you in. Problem is in the end you are still left with unanswered questions. The writing has a repetitive feel to it, and at first it's frustrating but after awhile I got use to it. It's a very quick read at a little over 250 pages, it just left me thinking WTF in the end. I'm a fan of Elizabeth Scott's writing, sadly I just didn't enjoy this one. It's basically about parallel worlds. Interesting concept, just not executed very well, I think. ( )
  jjameli | Nov 20, 2012 |
I couldn’t wait to finish this book! I knew things were gonna be bad when the first few chapters were nothing more than the main character, Ava saying Who Am I? Where Am I? over and over, and over, AND over. The one thing this book had going for it was the mystery, the only reason I kept on reading. I forced myself through it in hopes of gaining some answers, answers that unfortunately, never came.

Ava wakes up in a bed, in a house, she doesn’t remember. The doctors say she has amnesia but Ava doesn’t believe them. That’s because she remembers her life, just not this one. She remembers the people around her, they just aren’t the same versions of them that she remembers. This book was way more Sci Fi than I was expecting considering it wasn’t labeled Sci Fi at all. It has to do with alternate universes and people traveling from one to another. This aspect is never really explained and just leaves you confused and wondering.

Even though Ava remembers some things from her other life, she doesn’t remember much else. This leaves for a very simple and boring thought cycle/dialogue that makes it impossible to get to know Ava on a deeper level and actually connect with her at all. All the characters were this way: simple, boring. Her three friends, Sophie, Greer, and Olivia were so bizarre, I couldn’t really understand why any of them were even friends. All their conversations were stupid and pointless, I couldn’t stand the parts they were in and constantly wondered why Ava even stayed friends with them since she didn’t like them much herself.

The relationship between Ava and Morgan is one we learn about mostly through memories. The whole thing is awkward and vague. For a love that is so strong it transcends universes and memory loss I just wasn’t seeing it, or feeling it.

All I can think of is all the other books I could have read instead of this one. I wish I had. ( )
  BornBookish | May 18, 2012 |

Seventeen-year-old Ava awakens with amnesia and a feeling that something is wrong with her life, her mother, and her friends but when the mysterious Morgan appears, her flashbacks of life as a spy for a shady government agency begin to make sense.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,690,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible