The Ghost Road by Pat Barker

The Ghost Road (original 1995; edition 1995)

by Pat Barker

Member:lilianboerboom
Title:The Ghost Road
Authors:Pat Barker
Info:

The Ghost Road by Pat Barker (1995)

English (34)  Dutch (1)  All languages (35)
The last of the Regeneration trilogy. I'm not sure why this won the Booker award in 1995. In this last in the trilogy, we learn the history of Dr Rivers and brings the life of Billy Prior up to date. I'd recommend reading this trilogy without much time lapsed between each book because otherwise one would be at risk of forgetting the issues faced by some of the characters that play cameo roles or are mere mentions in the later books. I think Regeneration is by the far the best of the three, and The Ghost Road the weakest of the three. It was still good, but by no means as brilliantly written as the Regeneration. ( )
  cameling | Oct 15, 2013 |
Don't make the mistake I did, read the last one first read them in order. Sucked in by the Booker prize! ( )
  IanMPindar | May 16, 2013 |
Brilliant. Enthralling. The story swapping between Captain River's hospital life and Melanesian reminiscences, and Billy Prior's return to the front kept me absolutely captivated. I read much longer than I intended to each night, wanting to know what would happen to these characters who are so beautifully and sympathetically drawn by Pat Barker. My affection for and understanding of them has built and built over the course of the three novels.

I'm sad to have finished the Regeneration trilogy. Time to seek out the rest of Pat Barker's books. ( )
  Vivl | Apr 19, 2013 |
re-read (audiobook) ( )
  koeeoaddi | Mar 30, 2013 |
This is the perfect ending to the Regeneration trilogy. Barker manages perfectly to tie together Rivers' anthropological studies of Malaysian headhunters, for whom the ban on warring with neighboring tribes was a debilitating blow to their culture, with soldiers fighting WWI. The premise in the first book, advanced by Siegfried Sassoon,was that the government was unnecessarily prolonging a war that could be ended with diplomacy. By the end of Ghost Road the war is almost over, but soldiers are forbidden to talk of peace. They are told that the only just end to the war would be the complete destruction of Germany. So, the government is enjoying the war that the headhunters would like to engage in, but the soldiers just do their duty. This is an excellent study of war and psychology with Billy Prior, the lusty, shameless officer representing what? The life wish in opposition to the government's promotion of the death wish? I'm not entirely sure, but this is a trilogy that must be read in its entirety. Then think about the wars that continue, the made up reasons for continuing them, and the effects on the people who fight them and the people who love those fighters. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Jul 14, 2012 |
Pat Barker has incorporated many of the actual words of the war's most eloquent narrators in her complex and ambitious work . . . too striking as hybrids of fact and possibility, easy humor and passionate social argument to be classified as anything but the masterwork to date of a singular and ever-evolving novelist who has consistently made up her own rules.

Barker, Patprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dijk, Edith vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Now all roads lead to France
And heavy is the tread
Of the living; but the dead
Returning lightly dance

~ 'Roads', Edward Thomas
For David
In the deck-chairs all along the front the bald pink knees of Bradford businessmen nuzzled the sun.

This book challenges our assumptions about relationships between the classes, doctors and patients, men and women, and men and men. It completes the author's exploration of the First World War, and is a timeless depiction of humanity in extremis Originally published: London: Viking, 1995.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014103095X, 0141399376

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,416,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible