The Devil's Feather by Minette Walters

The Devil's Feather (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Minette Walters

Member:Spudd
Title:The Devil's Feather
Authors:Minette Walters
Info:Knopf (2006), Hardcover, 368 pages
Tags:paper

The Devil's Feather by Minette Walters (2005)

Recently added byTWLNewtown, private library, HancockPoint, recrawfo

English (21)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (24)
This book is described as ‘electrifying’, I can’t really agree with that. It moved along rather slowly, more character development then plot, a side plot that was detracting and unnecessary and an unsatisfying ending. Connie states she doesn’t remember exactly what happened, but her statements (Her mother mentions a conversation Connie had with her father, one you never heard of till then) make you wonder if that is true and as the reader, I was left with more questions then answers. For a true crime book, that is often the case, when I read a novel, I like more answers and less questions. I would hesitate before reading another of her books. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Apr 5, 2013 |
Two plots. 1.A journalist's abduction in a war zone and 2. inheritance- I was looking for a connection - there was none other than the journalist had rented a house where the inheritance plot occurs. I kept thinking that a woman hiding out from an abductor would not be getting so involved in the lives & dramas of people who owned the house she was renting. Aside from that it was fast paced (mostly) - the email formated sections worked but it annoyed me no end. ( )
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
Not one of her best - but good ednough by anyone elses standards. ( )
  richardgarside | Jul 21, 2011 |
The Devil’s Feather focuses on the ease with which serious crimes can go virtually unnoticed when committed in war zones. Connie Burns, a British reporter who works in warzones, begins to notice a pattern of crimes in Iraq which echo similar crimes committed in Sierra Leone many years previously. Connie tracks down the killer in Iraq, only to have the tables turned on her. After her return to England, Connie is a broken, terrified woman with the killer still on her trail. Very scary, very suspenseful. ( )
  joannalongbourne | Feb 27, 2011 |
The Devil's Feather delivers the tale of war correspondent Connie Burns and her face-off against a vicious mercenary she suspects of being a serial rapist/murderer. Very soon, she is the prey rather than the hunter. The scene quickly shifts from Sierra Leone to Iraq and then, for the bulk of the tale, to the west of England, and our heroine is dropped into a second intriguing mystery that adds a nice complexity to the narrative. The plot bogs down somewhat in exposition about a quarter of the way through but picks up quite nicely at around the halfway mark. Overall, the characters are interesting and fun, the tension is very strong and the plot is sound. I consider this a very good, gripping mystery/thriller. ( )
  rocketjk | Nov 27, 2010 |
«Djevelens fjær» (et tyrkisk begrep som betegner kvinner som ubevisst vekker en manns begjær) utvikler seg ganske annerledes enn forventet - den legger opp til å bli en paranoid og klaustrofobisk psykothriller, hadde det ikke vært for at Walters foretar en del vendinger underveis som snur opp ned på det inntrykket. Et parti blir såpass rotete at det knapt kan kalles vellykket, men i det store og hele er dette en av Walters' bedre bøker.
added by annek49 | editDagbladet, KURT HANSSEN (Mar 13, 2006)

'The secret of happiness is freedom; the secret of freedom, courage'
~ Thucydides (Greek historian, 5th century BC)
Devil's Feather (derivation Turkish) - a woman who stirs a man's interest without realizing it; the unwitting cause of sexual arousal
To Mick, Peggy and Liz
for all the good times we've had together

My particular thanks to Liz
for giving me The Devil's Feather as a title
I don't know if that story was picked up in the West.

A blistering new thriller about the horrors of war and the struggle to survive in the face of pure evil.

Foreign correspondent Connie Burns is hunting a British mercenary that she believes is responsible for the rape and murder of five women in Sierra Leone in 2002. Two years later she finds him training Iraqi police in Baghdad. Connie is determined to expose his crimes, but then she is kidnapped and released after three days of unspeakable torture. Silently, she returns to England and attempts to isolate herself, but it soon becomes apparent that the horrors of the world and her own nightmarish past aren’t so easy to escape from.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:52 -0400)

With private security firms supplying bodyguards in every theatre of war, who will notice the emergence of a sexual psychopath from the ranks of the mercenaries?

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,157,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible