Curiosity Thrilled The Cat by Sofie Kelly

Curiosity Thrilled The Cat (2011)

by Sofie Kelly

3111935,843 (3.79)16

English (18)  Piratical (1)  All (19)
Curiosity Thrilled the Cat: A Magical Cats Mystery by Sofie Kelly is a 2011 NAL publication.

Cats, libraries and books are a winning trifecta, and they tend to complement each other, especially well when these three elements apply to mystery novels. So, it’s no surprise that there is no shortage of mystery series, especially in the cozy genre, featuring cats, books, and libraries, in one combination or another.

I wasn’t sure about this series when it was recommended to me, because, although I love it when pets and animals have a role in a story, I’m not especially fond of the magical or paranormal elements, since, well, it’s just too silly for me. But, in this case, I found the entire story very charming. The mystery is solid, well plotted, with quick pacing, strong dialogue, with a little humor sprinkled in along the way.

Hercules and Owen, Kathleen Paulson’s adopted cats, are ‘special’, and they do help Kathleen find clues, in small ways, but I found myself caught up in the spirt of the book, and enjoyed the pure whimsy of it. In fact, the cats are what made the book so utterly charming.

Kathleen is a likeable character who is licking her wounds after a bad break up, and adjusting to small town life, as well as her decision to try a super short hairdo, which is driving her nuts. (I can relate!) Her new job as the town’s librarian is fraught with a plethora of issues due to a major renovation, which is not going so well.

But, when Kathleen finds the body of a famous, and difficult, musical conductor, things get a whole lot worse when she discovers she is suspect number one.

Things get dicey from there as she copes with Marcus, the detective working the case, and a string of ‘accidents’, as well as feeling as though someone doesn’t want the library renovated, for some reason.

This first book in a series, sets the stage for future installments, giving it a nice foundation to build on, so overall, this one turned out to be an unexpected pleasure, so I’ll be adding yet another series to my enormous TBR pile.

3.5 stars ( )
  gpangel | Jun 15, 2017 |
Cats, librarian, murder mystery in a small village ... what's not to Love! Planning to read the entire series ... these are what I call "popcorn" books ...just nomnomnom quick and fun! ( )
1 vote GeetuM | Nov 1, 2016 |
I love the humor in the two books of this series that I've read--it's not "wacky." Usually I don't like books with magical elements, but the main protagonist in this series reacts to her cats' magical powers the way I think I might react--that they're weird, and no one would believe her if she told the people about them. The cats have very specific powers, and it's interesting to see how they play into the plot. I had a hard time keeping track of all the characters...not all the significant characters were well-drawn. ( )
  Beth3511 | Jun 22, 2016 |
Our heroine is a librarian who is new to town and here to help refurbish the library and work as the new head librarian. She has two magnificent cats that she rescued from a abandoned field when they where kittens. They seem to be more that the average cats however. The cats steal the story with their abilities and general cuteness. Owen, one of the cats suffers from a terrible cat nip addiction. it's so cute. : ) She has this bit where she bakes goodies for everyone for almost any reason. (my kind of girl !) Everything is going fairly well, till our librarian finds a body and then the twists and turns delve into the darker side of the town's people. There is and attractive detective, several shifty towns folk, a lie long thought buried.
It was a nice cozy mystery. Low on the violence, language and very low on the smut scale. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I was skeptical about the magic cats portion of this book but it wasn't over the top and they mystery was interesting although not that surprising. I'll try out the next books in the series since I already have them before I can say I enjoy the series. ( )
  jvizza | Jan 18, 2016 |
The body was smack in the middle of my freshly scrubbed kitchen floor.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451232496, Mass Market Paperback)

When librarian Kathleen Paulson moved to Mayville Heights, Minnesota, she had no idea that two strays would nuzzle their way into her life. Owen is a tabby with a catnip addiction and Hercules is a stocky tuxedo cat who shares Kathleen's fondness for Barry Manilow. But beyond all the fur and purrs, there's something more to these felines.

When murder interrupts Mayville's Music Festival, Kathleen finds herself the prime suspect. More stunning is her realization that Owen and Hercules are magical-and she's relying on their skills to solve a purr-fect murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:44 -0400)

Small-town librarian Kathleen Paulson had no idea two stray cats could nuzzle their way into her life. But when murder interrupts Maryville Heights' music festival, Kathleen finds herself the prime suspect. She's relying on Owen and Hercules to solve a purr-fect murder.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,195,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible