Curiosity Thrilled the Cat by Sofie Kelly

Curiosity Thrilled the Cat (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Sofie Kelly

Member:comfy_corner
Title:Curiosity Thrilled the Cat
Authors:Sofie Kelly
Info:Signet (no date), Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:Kelly - Magical Cats Mystery BOOK 1

Curiosity Thrilled the Cat by Sofie Kelly (2011)

English (23)  Piratical (1)  All languages (24)
Kathleen Paulson has left Boston to accept a position as head librarian at the Mayville Heights, Minnesota library. She's also overseeing the renovation of said library, and that's not without its problems. On this morning Kathleen hears a commotion in the library and goes to check it out, only to find one of her employees trying to explain to Gregor Easton, a visiting conductor, that the library is under renovation and the Internet is not yet connected. Easton, however, is having none of it. Since he was informed they did indeed have Internet, he wants to use it, and can't seem to understand that even if computers are available, the Internet might not be (not very tech savvy at all?).

But someone doesn't like the arguing - Owen, one of Kathleen's two cats, suddenly appears on Easton's head, and what follows is disaster. After Easton is calmed down, Kathleen offers to have breakfast sent to his hotel room the next morning by way of apology. Mollified, Easton leaves. Kathleen, though, has no idea how Owen got into the library in the first place.

The next morning Kathleen needs to find Oren, a local handyman, and she thinks he might be at the theater working, so heads over there. But Oren's truck isn't in the parking lot, and even so, she enters the theater but instead finds Easton, slumped over the piano - dead. After calling the police and answering questions, she returns to the library.

Then things start getting strange. The lead detective, Marcus Gordon, is questioning her and she thinks that she's probably the prime suspect, even though she only met Easton one time and managed to find his body. Her work crew at the library arrives sporadically; accidents keep happening to her that manage to cause minor injuries; and her cats - Owen and Hercules - well, that's a story: She found them as kittens on the grounds of Wisteria Hill, the abandoned estate of her employer, Everett Henderson. They followed her home and she adopted them. But she's now noticing that they have very special magical powers.

Kathleen realizes that in order to get herself out of hot water with the police, she'll need to figure out who had the best motive to kill Easton. Unfortunately, it could be any one of her friends, and while she doesn't want to believe it, she knows that someone out there is framing her for a murder she didn't commit...

This is the first book in the series, and I thought it was a very good beginning indeed. Our protagonist has her hands full with library renovations when Easton shows up, and when he's killed she suddenly moves to the top of the list as a person of interest. But since she had no reason to kill him, she figures out that someone in town knew things she'd said to Easton and used them to draw him to a death trap.

I thought the book was written well, although I also thought it was a little heavy on non-essential things to the plot. We really don't need to know about her Tai Chi class, nothing happens there that makes a whit of difference, and it certainly didn't matter to me. Yes, it introduced other characters, but they could have been introduced at a cafe or the library just as well. It bogged down the tale a tad.

The only other thing that bothered me is when one character tells Kathleen that she "wouldn't understand because she's from away." This is not a phrase they use in Minnesota (I know because I grew up there). When someone moves to town, we don't say they're 'from away.' That's strictly an east coast phrase (and since the author is from the east coast, I would have expected her to know this). Minor, but it bothered me, since when someone moves to town we merely say that 'you're new here'. I was also a bit surprised not a single person spoke as if they actually grew up in the state. But hey...

Anyway, I absolutely loved Owen and Hercules. They've decided to adopt Kathleen, and they help her in her investigation, and she reacts much as the way anyone would when they find out the truth. They point her in the right direction by bringing her clues, and even act as her protectors when need be. Without them, the story wouldn't be half as interesting as it is.

When the ending comes and we discover the murderer it came as rather a surprise, yet I didn't feel that the reason for the murder was enough of one to kill for; but that's my own opinion. There was also another surprise in store, and that was an interesting red herring. Still, the climax was done well and everything was explained in a satisfying manner.

All in all, I enjoyed the book and the introduction to Owen and Hercules, and look forward to reading the next in the series. Recommended. ( )
  joannefm2 | Mar 28, 2019 |
Kathleen Paulson took on the job of head librarian in Mayville Heights, Minnisota. While out walking, exploring the area around her rented house, she met two cats who followed her home. Within a short time, Kathleen learned neither cat was your everyday normal variety of feline. Owen disappeared when he wanted to be sneaky and Hercules passed through solid doors when he didn't want to stay home. Then Kathleen found a body on stage at the Stratton. By the end of the day everyone in Mayville seemed to be on the suspect list with Kathleen in the number one position.

Overall the book is a good read. It
held my attention from the beginning, but that isn't unusual. Very few material clues scattered throughout the story and clues picked up while listening to the women talk keeps the reader guessing until the end who the killer is. Description of the town was either minimal or well hidden amongst all the calm action because once I had finished the book, I seemed to have had a good image of the whole town in my mind. I liked what I saw in that image. Not much romance entered into the happenings, but since Curiosity Thrilled the Cat is Book 1 a series, perhaps romance will develop and grow solid between the detective and Kathleen. Reach for the second book in the Magical Cats Mystery Series: SLEIGHT OF PAW. Check it out here: http://sofiekelly.com

SassyBrit | Nov 27, 2018 |
Or maybe just 2*... I thought the idea of the "magical" cats was forced and unnecessary. ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 13, 2018 |
Really cute book. I appreciated the way the cats actually were magical in this book -- it's appropriate for the series title. Also, it's a refreshing change to have real magical cats instead of the special-but-normal cats in the cat mysteries I've been reading lately.

About mid-way through the book, the heroine witnessed her cats being magic and seemed to be in denial; once she got out of that phase, I enjoyed her a lot more. The secondary characters were fun, too. One issue I have is that there seems to be an attempt to force a relationship coming in future books, so I'm not sure I will continue with the series. (Luckily that part didn't start until the very end of this book.) I may try the next one and see how the possible relationship is handled, but it's made me wary of the series.

(I might give 3.5 stars if that was an option, but since it's not I'm choosing to round up.) ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 26, 2018 |
Being a library assistant, I initially picked up "Curiosity Thrilled the Cat" because the main character, Kathleen, is a librarian that moves to a small Minnesotan town after her life in Boston throws her a curveball. Add in two adorable cats that remind me of my own, and I was hooked. This cozy mystery is packed with characters you instantly love, including Kathleen and her new-found friends in town who all scramble to solve a sudden murder that threatens Mayville’s Music Festival, and her quirky cats who have a mystery of their own.

Sarah M. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
The body was smack in the middle of my freshly scrubbed kitchen floor.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451232496, Mass Market Paperback)

When librarian Kathleen Paulson moved to Mayville Heights, Minnesota, she had no idea that two strays would nuzzle their way into her life. Owen is a tabby with a catnip addiction and Hercules is a stocky tuxedo cat who shares Kathleen's fondness for Barry Manilow. But beyond all the fur and purrs, there's something more to these felines.

When murder interrupts Mayville's Music Festival, Kathleen finds herself the prime suspect. More stunning is her realization that Owen and Hercules are magical-and she's relying on their skills to solve a purr-fect murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:44 -0400)

Small-town librarian Kathleen Paulson had no idea two stray cats could nuzzle their way into her life. But when murder interrupts Maryville Heights' music festival, Kathleen finds herself the prime suspect. She's relying on Owen and Hercules to solve a purr-fect murder.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,086,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible