Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 Volume 8:…

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 Volume 8: Last Gleaming

by Joss Whedon, Scott Allie (Author), Georges Jeanty (Illustrator)

First of all, let me be clear - I love Willow, Angel, Xander, Buffy, Giles, Spike, and Faith . . . generally, depending upon my mood, in that order. I was a huge fan of both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel when they were on TV, passing up dates, missing appointments, and blowing off family gatherings to catch each new episode. I was a bit too old to have grown up on the Whedonverse, but it definitely shaped much of my teenage years.

I cried like a baby when both shows ended. Buffy, I thought, ended very well, wrapping up 7 years of television with an ending that was every bit as empowering as the show itself. Angel, I thought, ended even better (even if it was sadly before it's time), with a final few moments that still take my breath away.

So, you can imagine my insane delight when I first heard that not only would each show be getting another "official" season, but that Joss himself would be at the helm. It wasn't a new season of televised glory, and it wasn't the movie we all wanted, but it was something - and it was to be "canon" (rather than just somebody else playing in then Whedonverse).

Season 8 definitely had its moments but, sadly, they were in the first 3 volumes (Long Way Home, No Future For You, and Wolves at the Gate). From there, it's been an uneven ride that began going downhill with Twilight (Volume 7) and has mercifully ended with Last Gleaming (Volume 8).

Okay, if you haven't read Last Gleaming, then stop reading now because SPOILERS ABOUND!

Still here? You've been warned . . .

Let me sum up what was wrong with this final chapter:

1. Superhero powers, for both Buffy and Angel. Nope, sorry, just too much.
2. The failure to correct the mistake of revealing Angel as the Big Bad. Come on, really? It was an absolute cheat to have Twilight turn out to be Angel . . . with a twist that ridiculous, I'm sure another could have been manufactured to counter it.
3. Faith being wasted. This girl has potential! If you're not going to exploit it, then at least give her a great exit . . . don't just leave her on the sidelines.
4. The senseless death of Giles. Yeah, Xander and I both saw it coming, but it was still an unnecessary bit of drama. Giles is . . . well, Giles! If he had to die, then it should have meant something.
5. On that note, Xander being wasted. He had his shot at being a hero. He could have stopped Giles, taken his place, and turned a senseless death into a noble sacrifice. Instead, he stands by and watches.
6. Resurrecting The Master, only to neuter him by making him a pawn of some other force, and then giving him a quick death that accomplishes nothing.
7. Buffy saving the world by destroying the magic in it. This was huge. This was the classic no-win situation she faced so many times on TV . . . except she always found a way to create a third choice, one that usually involved her own sacrifice. Here, she picks the easy out, betraying Willow in the process, and does it without a moment of thought. Where's the angst? Where's the internal debate? Where's sense of sorrow and helplessness that have always accompanied those choices? This was lazy and it was wrong (even if it does erase a lot of mistakes and set us up for a return to normalcy in season 9).
8. Giles rewriting his will, leaving everything to Faith. Excuse me? WTF? Yeah, we know he's kind of taken Faith under his wing, but this reeks of just another betrayal. This whole season seemed to be about dividing him from his Slayer, and I don't like the implication that he's lost faith in Buffy.

As for what was right about it:

1. Spike was awesome. He looked like Spike, he talked like Spike, and he acted like Spike. He played a significant role and, despite all the hints, never did betray Buffy.
2. Um . . . really, that's about it.

At this point, I'm not really interested in a Season 9, but I suspect I'll give it a shot - if only because Joss himself owned up to some of the failings in Season 8, and admitted he has already changed his direction for Season 9 because of what we, the fans, have said.

All I can say is it better be good . . . at least Angel good, if not better.
1 vote bibrarybookslut | Jul 5, 2017 |
*Book source ~ Library

Last Gleaming ~ Buffy and Angel have created a shitstorm on Earth and now they have to help clean it up.

Ok, I just don’t get this whole seed of wonder thing or the creation of a new universe and again with the hell dimensions. Gah! I’m totally lost and once again I’ve read this twice. And when the hell did Spike get a ship? A ship manned by giant bugs no less. I guess I missed some shit by not reading the Angel or Spike graphic novels. That ending? Yeah, not getting it and that death? Why?! So not happy with this season finale because I’m completely confused and lost. Best part? Spike! Spike, Spike, Spike. 

Commitment through Distance, Virtue through Sin ~ Riley’s story about joining Twilight.

Eh, it’s a Riley and his wife Sam story, essentially telling how Riley ended up working with Twilight AKA Angel. I still don’t understand how the whole storyline came about, but it was nice to see Whistler. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Jul 8, 2015 |
Started and could not keep going. I figure I should stop reading the series before it completely ruins the Buffyverse for me with this stupid crap. ( )
  DanielleMD | Jun 20, 2015 |
Buffy Season 8 Volume 8: Last Gleaming is like a big season finale – or a season finale and the couple of episodes that lead up to it and really introduce what’s going to happen.

Spike’s back in the picture and has knowledge of another evil facing the world that Buffy and company will have to deal with. Or face possibly world ending badness. Or maybe even something worse than that.

Of course, he shows up on a ship piloted by bugs . . . Spike’s sort of the insect-y Doctor Who here (especially after you see his arrival on Earth).

It wouldn’t be “Buffy” without some sort of a betrayal and this one’s big. Can Buffy get past it and manage to save both the world and all her friends and Slayers?

You’ll just have to see.

This was a good finale while still leaving quite a few things open for the Season Nine comics that are coming (soon, it seems). It brings Buffy, Angel, and Spike back together for the first time since BtVS Season Three – for better or for worse. Buffy’s reaction to Spike being back in the picture did seem a little strange given where they were at the end of Season Seven. A lot of relationships (especially those involving Buffy) have had their own life in the comics, though. (Her feelings – or even attitude – towards Spike do seem to fluctuate for seemingly no reason. I’m hoping that changes for Season Nine.)

The Xander/Dawn relationship isn’t as squicky as I would have thought. It’s been developed well throughout this season and progressed slowly enough that it doesn’t seem sudden or out of nowhere at all. It will still seem strange to some people, I’m sure, but it’s been done well and I kind of like it. (It’s growing on me.)

I liked the art in this volume. The baddies were really unique and the colors were great. Except for I think two instances the characters were easily discernable (but I figured one out). The main few characters – Buffy, Dawn, Xander, and Spike, especially looked great.

I’m still not sure how much I love this way of doing Buffy, but I still love the characters and the Big Bads. There were seasons of Buffy I didn’t like (not the same ones most people didn’t like!), too, and I still adore the show. I think I’ll still read Season Nine to see where it all goes.

8/10

read thanks to NetGalley and Dark Horse
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
Okay. This one took me a second to get into since they started back in the Season a bit so we could catch up with Angel and Spike.

Then we're back to superpowered heroes and an army of slayers. Not to mention some seriously messed up not from our world monsters.

From there we get reaquainted with some characters and some big changes take palce.

It was a solid 'Season 8 Finale', some wrap up, some cliffhanger. I enjoyed it.

Honestly I think my only problem with Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8 was a general one. Just as I watched Season 7 with the hope, I've read every volume of season eight with the same hope that we'd really (and not just a drive by) get to see Tara. *sigh* Alas, still. A very good continuation of the TV season 7. ( )
  DanieXJ | Sep 26, 2014 |

Whedon, JossAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Allie, ScottAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jeanty, GeorgesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Chen, JoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Buffy and the gang defend reality itself from an onslaught of demons.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,734,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible