Darker After Midnight: A Midnight Breed…

Darker After Midnight: A Midnight Breed Novel (edition 2012)

by Lara Adrian

Member:DarkFaerieTales
Title:Darker After Midnight: A Midnight Breed Novel
Authors:Lara Adrian
Info:Delacorte Press (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:*****

Darker After Midnight by Lara Adrian

I have finally come to the end of the Dragos story arc in the Midnight Breed series. First off I was very happy that a Breedmate helped in the destruction of Dragos. I think that is fate finally coming to rest on the man that has abused so many Breedmates. Secondly I wish that Dragos had suffered a little longer the Breed deserve so much more pain that what he received. I have mixed feeling about the end of this arc of the series. There are some questions that aren't answered and I am sure after a year there would have been more than a little investigation in the fathers of the Order’s Breedmates. Ms. Adrian put so much effort into setting of the memories of the Ancient and the attacks on Atlantis. Is there a connection between surviving Atlantean males and the daughters that can become mates to the Breed? I am hoping that there will be an answer in the future books. Was the Order able to save any of the younger Hunters? They were able to find GPS locations of all the Hunters surely some of them could be saved. It would be such a waste to have to kill all those Gen One warriors. I am sure the Order is going to need the all the help that they can get now that the world knows about the Breed.

I have been very worried about Sterling Chase through the last several books. There were times in the story that I wasn't certain that he was going to be able to save himself. I am glad that he found the strength to overcome his addiction and find the love that he need so badly. I was also glad to see that he is such a doting mate. All his interaction with Tavia had something that made with see the wonderful man that he is. It is too bad that love can’t heal as well in the real world.

Tavia Fairchild was a surprise. I am not sure anyone saw that development coming in any of the books. I am hoping that she is able to find the other young women that are like her. I was more than a little disappointed though that Tavia would think that she would have any hope of killing Dragos on her own. She had seen what one assassin was capable of; she had to know that Dragos would have more around him as guards. She isn't unintelligent. Plus Dragos is a trained Breed male that is hundreds of years old. She was no match of him in training of experience. She was lucky to get off as easily as she did. Other than this little flaw I like Tavia very much. She has a practical side that appeals to me. I liked that she quickly learned to accept what was happening to her and made the best of it.

It was great to see more of the daily life of the Order. Mira is always a source of laughter. Ms. Adrian captures the innocence and bluntness of child so well. Mira’s joy of having a Christmas tree and her excitement for the holiday was wonderful in all the struggle and death that was in the book.

There is not a great deal of interaction between Chase and Tavia. With all the other things that are going on they really don’t have much time to get to know each other, even less time to make love. The scenes that do happen are spicy and well written much as I have come to expect from the author.

This was a wonderful end to Dragos. I just wish so many hadn't died to bring him to his end. ( )
  LadyIsis | Feb 24, 2014 |
Darker After Midnight by Lara Adrian Midnight Breed Series book 10
  Chantelle713 | Sep 25, 2013 |
Another great installment in this series. I've been waiting to read Chase's story since he was first introduced. He was such an intriguing character to me, and I'm glad that his story was told well.

We saw a lot more action in this book than we've seen in past ones, which was very welcome. The story finally moved forward -- and holy hell, did it.

I'm a little confused if this is the last book or not. I'm not sure where else she would go with it, but I thought that this plot point wrapped up fairly quickly in the book and could have been stretched out a bit more. It was a lot of build up for a very fast and perfect ending (complete with babies! From freaking EVERYONE! I found it odd (and convenient) that so many of the couples wanted children after less than a year together, especially when their time is measured in such huge increments.). ( )
  CreativeJunkie | Sep 23, 2013 |
This is the latest of the series and I believe that it is the best. We have spent a long time getting to know the backstory and the lead-in to Chase's slide down. Lucan we see approaching bloodlust and Tegan we hear how he did fall in the past. But here we see the tipping point that Chase faces.

Adrian has done and excellent job throughout the series in foreshadowing and plot development. She is an excellent writer and this novel is no exception. ( )
  Bea_writer | Sep 21, 2013 |
I am deeply satisfied. For now. Yet, I am dying to see where the author goes now.
  LisaT131 | Sep 21, 2013 |
To my amazing readers and online communities both in the United States and abroad, with deep appreciation and humbled thanks for all the enthusiasm and support you've given my books. I hope you enjoy the rest of the adventures still to come! And to John, always, for more than any words could say.
'The charges are set, Lucan. Detonators are ready whenever you say the word. On your go, it all ends right here.'

In the dark of night, a blood war escalates within the hidden world of the Breed. After existing in secret for many long centuries, maintaining a fragile peace with the humans who walk beside them unaware, a single act of retaliation has put the entire vampire nation at risk of discovery. It falls to the Order—a cadre of Breed warriors pledged to protect their own and humankind alike—to stop Dragos, the power-mad vampire at the center of the conflict, before his push for domination can explode into catastrophe.

At the center of the Order’s quest is Sterling Chase, once a morally rigid enforcer of Breed law, now a warrior fallen from grace, whose biggest battle is the one he wages against his own savage nature. With addiction beckoning him toward eternal darkness, Chase’s path to redemption has never seemed more out of reach. But when his eyes meet those of Tavia Fairchild, a beautiful witness who identifies him at the scene of a mission gone terribly wrong, Chase finds himself drawn to the woman—and convinced she is something much more than she seems.

Pulled into a vortex of intrigue and danger she can neither resist nor understand, Tavia is uncertain whom to trust. And while everything sane and logical warns her against getting close to Chase, she cannot deny that the handsome, deeply haunted male stirs something primal and ravenous within her. But even as she surrenders to her cravings, nothing can prepare her for the shattering truth of who—and what—she truly is.

As the Order’s enemy mobilizes for the battle of the ages, Dragos and his Minions unleashing a hell on Earth like nothing ever seen before, Chase and Tavia are thrust into the heart of the violence. With time running out and the streets running red with the blood of innocent lives, both Breed and human, together Chase and Tavia must find a way to defeat Dragos once and for all—or die trying.

"The tenth and final novel in Lara Adrian's New York Times bestselling Midnight Breed vampire romance series is a thrilling conclusion to the series that reveals secrets that fans will be dying to know!"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,487,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible