The Twelve by Justin Cronin

The Twelve (2012)

by Justin Cronin

English (119)  German (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (123)
Not as engaging as the first book, but still a good continuation on the first book and the characters. ( )
  Awill424 | Jun 9, 2019 |
Lost a star for me at the as it headed toward the climax, but still loved it. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
Honestly, there's something really confusing and mind-boggling about Justin Cronin's writing, yet at the same time his ability to tell a story completely hooks you in to the point where you can't put the book down until it's done.

At least, that's how I felt reading this. Admittedly, due to personal reasons, this took me far too long to read until I found the right motivation again. Then I downed the last 200 pages in a matter of days. After absolutely loving The Passage, I started off thinking how this one was even better. And, had I read it without a big break in between I probably would have given it 5 stars. But I've stuck to 4.

It surprised me that Cronin jumped back to the present time with new characters before continuing on with the way The Passage ended. I wasn't expecting it, yet found it interesting nonetheless. I felt all the characters had their own dynamic and interesting backgrounds to draw you in, and was waiting to find a connection with a future character, which eventually came.

Admittedly, I found parts of the story confusing, particularly the end where it felt a little rushed and jumped between characters too much. I don't quite understand the Amy aspect still - after two books - and am hoping in book three it will answer some questions for me.

Peter, Sara, and all the others are great and enjoyable to read and I look forward to seeing where their future takes them in the coming book. ( )
  ashooles | Feb 26, 2019 |
'The Passage' was a summer blockbuster. It overflowed with civilization-ending outbreak, prepping, vampires, and zombies; the author's literary background supported the ambition of the story's time-line, and there was immediate talk about a film franchise. All of that and immensely readable, too!

'The Twelve', as the sequel to the summer blockbuster, tries to deliver on the same formula but seems to have lost touch with what made 'The Passage' so effective in the first place. The immediacy of the outbreak itself and the secondary storyline of the survivors of the First Colony is buried under new information and characters ranging from boring to bizarre, all to set up a conflict between the forces of good and the Twelve themselves that was underwhelming. At least I didn't notice so many cliffhanger chapter jumps this time around.

Passage Trilogy

Next: 'City of Mirrors'

Previous: 'The Passage' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
In this exciting and carefully crafted second installment in the trilogy, Cronin deftly avoids the “middle book” syndrome and creates an engaging continuation of the epic apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic saga that began with The Passage.

And therein, I think, lies the reason this novel works so well—Cronin not only builds on his tale by continuing the multiple intertwined narratives of his numerous characters, but he also fills in the “back story” for a number of characters who are new to the tale and others who appeared as minor characters in the first book. Thus he builds the story’s forward momentum by reaching back into the past to create a more comprehensive vision of the post-apocalyptic universe he’s created.

While it’s almost impossible to identify a lone protagonist (another example of Cronin’s skill—he’s developed a true ensemble of main characters), Amy—aka The Girl From Nowhere—stands out as unique. Indeed, the novel’s climactic scene pivots on her (quite literal) character transformation.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jimrgill | Jan 16, 2019 |
She stood beside me for years, or was it a moment? I cannot remember. Maybe I loved her, maybe I didn’t. There was a house, and then no house. There were trees, but none remain. When no one remembers, what is there? You, whose moments are gone, who drift like smoke in the afterlife, tell me something, tell me anything. - Mark Strand, "In the Afterlife"
For Leslie, foot-to-foot
For it came to pass that the world had grown wicked, and men had taken war into their hearts, and committed great defilements upon every living thing, so that the world was a dream of death;
Watch the clock. Know the location of the nearest hardbox.  When in doubt, run.
Hence the major problem with immortality, apart from the peculiar diet: everything began to bore you.
Give people hope, and you could make them do just about anything. And not just your average, everyday kind of hope--for food or clothes or the absence of pain or good suburban schools or low down payments with easy financing. What people needed was a hope beyond the visible world, the world of the body and its trials, of life's endless dull parade of things. A hope that all was not as it appeared.
They became their enemy, as all must do; they ceased to be slaves, and so became alive.
"Because that's what heaven is," said Amy. "It's opening the door of a house in twilight and everyone you love is there."
This "Work" contains copies without enough information. The title might refer to a book by Justin Cronin, by William Gladstone, by Stuart Neville, or by Nick McDowell. This "Work" should not be combined with any of these. If you are an owner of one of these copies, please add information such as author name or ISBN that can help identify its rightful home. After editing your copy, it might still need further separation and recombination work. Feel free to ask in the Combiners! group if you have questions or need help. Thanks.

Survivors of a government-induced apocalypse endure their violent and disease-stricken world while protecting their loved ones; while a century into the future, members of a transformed society determinedly search for the original twelve virals.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,659,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible