The Twelve (Book Two of The Passage…

The Twelve (Book Two of The Passage Trilogy): A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Justin Cronin

Member:amybclarke
Title:The Twelve (Book Two of The Passage Trilogy): A Novel
Authors:Justin Cronin
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), Kindle Edition, 592 pages

The Twelve by Justin Cronin (2012)

English (115)  German (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (119)
Not quite as gripping as the first one, but that was probably good for my blood pressure. I'll take a break before reading the third in the trilogy. There are only so many viral/vamp/deaths one can take in a book. I think he could have tightened this up just a bit to move things along. ( )
  jpnygard | Aug 2, 2018 |
The Twelve is the follow up to the superb The Passage, and once again it was an absolute pleasure to read, following a similar format going between past and present we're introduced to more characters as well as continuing the adventure from The Passage.

Whilst The Twelve could be read as a standalone book I would definitely recommend reading The Passage first, it seems like a long book however it really draws you in and you'll be at the end before you know it allowing you to get the most out of The Twelve where the backstories do add to the immersion of the world you're reading about.

Excellent book, looking forward to the next. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Mar 29, 2018 |
I think I waited too long between reading this and it's prequel The Passage. I was lost from the start, couldn't keep up with all the timelines, all the characters, and their not-so-interconnected storylines. ( )
  knp4597 | Mar 26, 2018 |
So dark. So very very dark. But, so good. So very, very good. ( )
  grouchygrammarian | Mar 19, 2018 |
It feels like I've been waiting for this book for so long. Unfortunately in that time, I have forgotten most of the characters. I think I would have loved this right after The Passage, and I loved the first half, but when the story picks up where it left off, there were a lot of pockets of boredom for me. A decent read, but I don't think I'll rush out to buy the third.
  rosechimera | Mar 16, 2018 |
She stood beside me for years, or was it a moment? I cannot remember. Maybe I loved her, maybe I didn’t. There was a house, and then no house. There were trees, but none remain. When no one remembers, what is there? You, whose moments are gone, who drift like smoke in the afterlife, tell me something, tell me anything. - Mark Strand, "In the Afterlife"
For Leslie, foot-to-foot
For it came to pass that the world had grown wicked, and men had taken war into their hearts, and committed great defilements upon every living thing, so that the world was a dream of death;
Watch the clock. Know the location of the nearest hardbox.  When in doubt, run.
Hence the major problem with immortality, apart from the peculiar diet: everything began to bore you.
Give people hope, and you could make them do just about anything. And not just your average, everyday kind of hope--for food or clothes or the absence of pain or good suburban schools or low down payments with easy financing. What people needed was a hope beyond the visible world, the world of the body and its trials, of life's endless dull parade of things. A hope that all was not as it appeared.
They became their enemy, as all must do; they ceased to be slaves, and so became alive.
"Because that's what heaven is," said Amy. "It's opening the door of a house in twilight and everyone you love is there."
This "Work" contains copies without enough information. The title might refer to a book by Justin Cronin, by William Gladstone, by Stuart Neville, or by Nick McDowell. This "Work" should not be combined with any of these. If you are an owner of one of these copies, please add information such as author name or ISBN that can help identify its rightful home. After editing your copy, it might still need further separation and recombination work. Feel free to ask in the Combiners! group if you have questions or need help. Thanks.

Survivors of a government-induced apocalypse endure their violent and disease-stricken world while protecting their loved ones; while a century into the future, members of a transformed society determinedly search for the original twelve virals.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,010,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible