The Twelve (Book Two of The Passage…

The Twelve (Book Two of The Passage Trilogy): A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Justin Cronin

Member:JediJane
Title:The Twelve (Book Two of The Passage Trilogy): A Novel
Authors:Justin Cronin
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), Kindle Edition, 589 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Twelve by Justin Cronin (2012)

English (104)  German (2)  French (1)  All (107)
I cannot wait to dive into this book. I LOVED The Passage and I have been counting the days until I could own The Twelve. :) ( )
  DebbyeC | May 24, 2017 |
Wow - I don't know how to rate this book. In a lot of ways its a mess, it meanders from crisis to crisis in an attempt to find a plot, and there are a LOT of unnecessary pages in this book. I got the impression that he wanted to write a vampire version of The Stand, and because that book had a lot of pages then so should his.

Is there some sort of spiritual "stuff" going on - Check, America devasted - Check, lots of people dead - Check, Good guys and bad guys -Check, do a couple of the main characters die - Check, scary vampire stuff - check, do all the plot lines somehow converge into one and somehow with heroic sacrifices it all turns out ok - Check.

Still, I read it, and at times couldn't put it down and I'm not quite sure why. Obviously I became interested in the characters and their road trip. And, I enjoyed reading it. Wow.

bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
Terrific follow-up to "The Passage", although I recommend that readers read "The Passage" to understand relationships in "The Twelve". The author brings back characters from the first book and rounds out an already interesting cast of characters with new ones who are tormented, driven, and completely believable if you can imagine "end-of-the-world" "survive at all cost" mentality. The story does go back and forth between the past/future which meant I had to focus so as not to miss any of the relationship connection/time sequences. When reading the book I was caught up in the desperation to get to civilization before all the borders are closed and found myself holding my breath at each crisis. Can't wait till the third book comes out, this is a book that deserves a best book of the year nomination. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
It's so funny; when I found the first book in this series, I'd not heard of Justin Cronin nor The Passage Trilogy. I actually got the book from Dollar Tree (everybody knows Dollar Tree!) So with my book that cost me one buck, I happened to see, about three weeks later, that there was a third book being released. I was panicked- I had a book that belonged in a series and I didn't know the title of book two! So I set out and purchased book two (Cost me $20!) and signed up to possibly win book three. Well guess what...

I lucked out and ended up with all three, paying a whopping $22 for three huge novels, and let me tell you: They're amazing. Justin Cronin is amazing. You should have these books in your library!

​ All three of these books are one enormous story that spans well over a millennia. The world has fallen and its only hope to carry on any semblance of humanity stems from a single girl. Amy Harper Bellafonte Book 2: The Twelve, has an epic beginning, sounding off the previous book's events like the Book of Genesis. It then dove into filler stories that told you what happened with folks in The Time Before. You find out the details on Deputy Director Horace Guilder- Walgast's boss. You even find out what happened to Lila, Walgast's wife. There are a ton of new folks to add to the list, including Zero's familiar, Grey ( the pedophile). Anyway, the story gives great backstories and tidbits here and there. The story, for me, is epic, though very dark and saddening. There's nothing but suffering, torture and death throughout the book. Gory and sickening too; it was all right up my alley when it comes to such a tale!

The Passage Trilogy
Justin Cronin
Ballantine Books & Wheeler Publishing
Nov. 1, 2012 ( )
  AReneeHunt | Jan 2, 2017 |
  This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com by express permission of this reviewer.   Title: The Twelve Series: The Passage Author: Justin Cronin Rating: 3 of 5 Stars Genre: Urban Fantasy   Synopsis: The post-apocalyptic world continues, as well as stories about the fall. All of the Twelve, along with Amy, meet up for the next step in their growth. Only this has been planned for and the rebellion takes advantage of it. Which leaves only Amy and Zero as representatives of the Vampire race.   My Thoughts: I enjoyed this a bit more than The Passage, as I didn't find the middle half boring, but I was very frustrated with Cronin's introducing large groups of characters only to throw them away a chapter later, or to write 5 chapters about them and only  make it tangentially related. Lots and lots of little side rabbit trails.   The pseudo-religiosity also got on my nerves as well. It was forced and even more damning, it FELT forced.   And like I had written in my update, I kept getting this mixed up with del Toro and Hogan's The Strain trilogy. I mean, how different can "vampires because of some plague-type thing" be anyway? It is all the same in my mind.   I'll finish the next book, but if this goes on longer than a 3rd book, then I'll be done. This just confirms that while I loved Dracula, vampires do something to authors that make their books unpalatable to me. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
She stood beside me for years, or was it a moment? I cannot remember. Maybe I loved her, maybe I didn’t. There was a house, and then no house. There were trees, but none remain. When no one remembers, what is there? You, whose moments are gone, who drift like smoke in the afterlife, tell me something, tell me anything. - Mark Strand, "In the Afterlife"
For Leslie, foot-to-foot
For it came to pass that the world had grown wicked, and men had taken war into their hearts, and committed great defilements upon every living thing, so that the world was a dream of death;
Watch the clock. Know the location of the nearest hardbox.  When in doubt, run.
Hence the major problem with immortality, apart from the peculiar diet: everything began to bore you.
Give people hope, and you could make them do just about anything. And not just your average, everyday kind of hope--for food or clothes or the absence of pain or good suburban schools or low down payments with easy financing. What people needed was a hope beyond the visible world, the world of the body and its trials, of life's endless dull parade of things. A hope that all was not as it appeared.
They became their enemy, as all must do; they ceased to be slaves, and so became alive.
"Because that's what heaven is," said Amy. "It's opening the door of a house in twilight and everyone you love is there."

Survivors of a government-induced apocalypse endure their violent and disease-stricken world while protecting their loved ones; while a century into the future, members of a transformed society determinedly search for the original twelve virals.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,464,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible