The Passage 02 - The Twelve by Justin Cronin

The Passage 02 - The Twelve (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Justin Cronin

Member:drachenbraut23
Title:The Passage 02 - The Twelve
Authors:Justin Cronin
Info:Orion (2012), Edition: Hardback, Hardcover, 592 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012
Rating:***
Tags:Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopian, Horror

The Twelve by Justin Cronin (2012)

English (96)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (99)
This is the middle book in the trilogy and while it wasn’t my favorite, it sure was good. The Passage remains my favorite of the three. This story needed to be told so it all could come together at the end. What a writer. Cronin is so descriptive.

First off, for anyone who isn’t familiar with Justin Cronin’s trilogy, this apocalyptic literature is not told in a linear fashion. Saying that, you have to read The Passage first and this one will make sense.

In the previous book you read about life before the virus. It’s life as we know it with stores, shopping, farms, social life, going to school and….everyday life. A virus which is mishandled by the government (what do you know, the government and military had a hand in this apocalyptic catastrophe) leading to a virtual wipe-out of our civilization.

Some survive – fast forward 100 years and you have read about the First Colony in California where people are secured in a compound. It’s a back-to-basics way of life, the sort we read about for our ancestors with them making tools by hand, growing their own food – a life devoid of television, or phones, cars and office life. People have jobs such as teachers, soldiers and farmers. It begins with the year 97 A.V. (after virus).

New characters are introduced but you’ll revisit some favorites such as Peter, Amy, Michael, Alicia and many others. If you read The Passage do you remember the cliff hangers at the end? The Twelve picks 5 years after The Passage and we are introduced to communities in Iowa, Kerrville Texas and one called “The Homeland” which is pure evil.

As with the first book and the last (I have already finished City of Mirrors) this story is about survivors and the lengths they will go to protecting their loved ones and keep the human race from being eliminated.

Not too much food mentioned in The Twelve. As you can see from my Paperwhite a bowl of soup was mentioned and it was a comfort food. Soup is certainly a comfort food, anytime.

So a black bean and vegetable soup is going to be the representative meal for this book. Lots of tomatoes, corn, onions, black beans, green bell peppers and broth. We had a fresh loaf of bread too.

For what it’s worth the recipe may be found at Squirrel Head Manor. This is a toss-what-you-want-in sort of soup. Those are the best.

Happy Reading! ( )
  SquirrelHead | Aug 19, 2016 |
As with The Passage, this book was satisfyingly difficult to read.
Two thumbs up, Cronin. I look forward to the third in the series. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
As the apocalypse begins to encompass North America, the American Military struggles desperately attempts to contain the virus that it unwittingly unleashed on the population, the surviving humans attempt to escape the heartland for the coasts, only to find themselves caught between the military and the rapidly growing swarms of the monsters who used to be their fellow citizens.

Nearly a century later on a ravaged continent, the few remaining humans from the Republic of Texas search for fellow survivors and discover in Iowa an enemy more despicable than the vampires caused by the viral plague: humans who collaborate with vampires and feed their fellows to them.

Cronin has populated his apocalypse with believable characters with real emotions and motives and created an extremely moving story of fate, faith, and heroic struggle. ( )
  MaowangVater | Jun 6, 2016 |
Mind-blowing. Just mind-blowing. I can't wait for the final book and the inevitable movies. Guilder is such an interesting villan, I can imagine some excellent actor having a lot of fun with him. ( )
  Caitlin70433 | Jun 6, 2016 |
I waited SO long for this book. I had high expectations because I loved the Passage.
This was so incredibly boring and mundane. I found myself dozing off during every attempt of reading this. Too much military talk, and scientific crap. I wanted more action and more sci fi and more SOMETHING. There was nothing here. Its one of the few times I quit a book, I got halfway thru and said to myself, LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO SUFFER THRU BORING BOOKS! ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
For the early years of his career as a writer, Justin Cronin won awards and got teaching posts for the sort of book that is described as sensitive and evocative; then he decided to do something else, but to do it with the same seriousness and competence. The first novel of his vampire trilogy, The Passage, was a canny combination of disparate elements – he had learned from Stephen King how to tear the world apart and set monsters loose in it, and from Tolkien how to set a new innocent generation on a quest for the cure to the world's pain. What is impressive about that book, and now its sequel The Twelve, is that there is nothing contemptuous about Cronin's approach; this is a formal exercise based on study and thought, but it has also a serious commitment to the virtues he has found in genre fiction – well-paced flurries of action and a deepened portrayal of the conventional emotions that too often become clichés.
added by marq | editThe Guardian, Roz Kaveney (Oct 25, 2012)

She stood beside me for years, or was it a moment? I cannot remember. Maybe I loved her, maybe I didn’t. There was a house, and then no house. There were trees, but none remain. When no one remembers, what is there? You, whose moments are gone, who drift like smoke in the afterlife, tell me something, tell me anything. - Mark Strand, "In the Afterlife"
For Leslie, foot-to-foot
For it came to pass that the world had grown wicked, and men had taken war into their hearts, and committed great defilements upon every living thing, so that the world was a dream of death;
Watch the clock. Know the location of the nearest hardbox.  When in doubt, run.
Hence the major problem with immortality, apart from the peculiar diet: everything began to bore you.
Give people hope, and you could make them do just about anything. And not just your average, everyday kind of hope--for food or clothes or the absence of pain or good suburban schools or low down payments with easy financing. What people needed was a hope beyond the visible world, the world of the body and its trials, of life's endless dull parade of things. A hope that all was not as it appeared.
They became their enemy, as all must do; they ceased to be slaves, and so became alive.
"Because that's what heaven is," said Amy. "It's opening the door of a house in twilight and everyone you love is there."

Survivors of a government-induced apocalypse endure their violent and disease-stricken world while protecting their loved ones; while a century into the future, members of a transformed society determinedly search for the original twelve virals.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,377,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible