The Twelve (Book Two of The Passage…

The Twelve (Book Two of The Passage Trilogy): A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Justin Cronin

Member:mjscott
Title:The Twelve (Book Two of The Passage Trilogy): A Novel
Authors:Justin Cronin
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 592 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Back Stories, Work Camp in Iowa, Horror, Thriller, 2012

The Twelve by Justin Cronin (2012)

English (83)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (86)
not as strong as the passage but interesting. for a book that started in a sort of plausible reality it is getting a bit too spiritually weird to me. ( )
  lushrain | Sep 29, 2014 |
Running parallel to and continuing The Passage, Cronin presents new characters and places while tying those to the original characters to continue to the plot. The vampires seem to be getting smarter and massacre a large group out for a garden picnic. The loss of women and children lead more men to join the fight against the vampires. But, the true heart of the stories follows the women including Amy and Alicia who sacrifice to save others. I can't wait to see how he wraps everything up. I just wish the books (which are quite detailed) weren't so far apart. ( )
  4leschats | Sep 18, 2014 |
I wish there were half stars as I would give this a 3.5. ( )
  kwbridge | Sep 6, 2014 |
Who dropped a turd in Janet Maslin's cereal when she wrote her review of Justin Cronin's "The Twelve"?
It suffers a little from second book of a trilogy syndrome, but it continues the story line of "The Passage" flawlessly. Can't wait for the next one.
  HenryKrinkle | Jul 23, 2014 |
OK. I really, really loved the first book, so much so it's one of my top favorites ever.

However, the second book left me a little confused and constantly flipping back to see where I was and who was who.

I should have done several things before reading this book -- one, reread "The Passage" immediately before "The Twelve". Two, NOT bought this on Kindle so I would have a place to write things down and keep up with the flow of characters. And three, not try to read it when I was on heavy pain killers AND Valium.

That being said, I can say that while I occasionally got lost, and sometimes wondered who was on what side, and what the point was on a few thing (like why DID the government want to get rid of the Last Stand in Denver dude????) I truly enjoyed it. I needed that suspension of belief and I like a post-apocalyptic story. I'm going to blame my confusion on my reading circumstances on on the "2nd book in a trilogy" syndrome -- it doesn't quite tie things up while it introduces things the author can't dig into QUITE yet.

Over the holidays I'll probably reread both books again. He's a heck of a writer.

Lori Anderson

Blog
Shop
Facebook
Book Blog ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
For the early years of his career as a writer, Justin Cronin won awards and got teaching posts for the sort of book that is described as sensitive and evocative; then he decided to do something else, but to do it with the same seriousness and competence. The first novel of his vampire trilogy, The Passage, was a canny combination of disparate elements – he had learned from Stephen King how to tear the world apart and set monsters loose in it, and from Tolkien how to set a new innocent generation on a quest for the cure to the world's pain. What is impressive about that book, and now its sequel The Twelve, is that there is nothing contemptuous about Cronin's approach; this is a formal exercise based on study and thought, but it has also a serious commitment to the virtues he has found in genre fiction – well-paced flurries of action and a deepened portrayal of the conventional emotions that too often become clichés.
added by marq | editThe Guardian, Roz Kaveney (Oct 25, 2012)

She stood beside me for years, or was it a moment? I cannot remember. Maybe I loved her, maybe I didn’t. There was a house, and then no house. There were trees, but none remain. When no one remembers, what is there? You, whose moments are gone, who drift like smoke in the afterlife, tell me something, tell me anything. - Mark Strand, "In the Afterlife"
For Leslie, foot-to-foot
For it came to pass that the world had grown wicked, and men had taken war into their hearts, and committed great defilements upon every living thing, so that the world was a dream of death;
Watch the clock. Know the location of the nearest hardbox.  When in doubt, run.
Hence the major problem with immortality, apart from the peculiar diet: everything began to bore you.
Give people hope, and you could make them do just about anything. And not just your average, everyday kind of hope--for food or clothes or the absence of pain or good suburban schools or low down payments with easy financing. What people needed was a hope beyond the visible world, the world of the body and its trials, of life's endless dull parade of things. A hope that all was not as it appeared.
They became their enemy, as all must do; they ceased to be slaves, and so became alive.
"Because that's what heaven is," said Amy. "It's opening the door of a house in twilight and everyone you love is there."

Survivors of a government-induced apocalypse endure their violent and disease-stricken world while protecting their loved ones; while a century into the future, members of a transformed society determinedly search for the original twelve virals.

974 wanted4 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,987,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible