The Twelve (Book Two of The Passage…

The Twelve (Book Two of The Passage Trilogy): A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Justin Cronin

Member:LisaMaria_C
Title:The Twelve (Book Two of The Passage Trilogy): A Novel
Authors:Justin Cronin
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), Kindle Edition, 589 pages
Collections:Reviewed, Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, novel, popular fiction, horror, thriller, suspense, fantasy, science fiction, apocalypse, dystopia, survival, vampires, virus

The Twelve by Justin Cronin (2012)

2012 (33) 2013 (22) apocalypse (21) apocalyptic (13) ARC (12) audiobook (8) dystopia (42) dystopian (11) ebook (32) fantasy (21) fiction (143) first edition (8) hardcover (8) horror (86) Kindle (24) own (10) post-apocalyptic (62) read (15) read in 2012 (19) read in 2013 (11) science fiction (82) series (21) sf (8) signed (10) survival (16) thriller (17) to-read (60) vampires (113) virus (10) wishlist (9)

English (78)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (81)
I don't know if had been too long since I read the first book or if I was just really not focused in the beginning of this one(probably a little of both) but I was a little lost. I was having problems remembering who people were and the multiple time lines through me off. Once I got into the groove of it, it was an fantastic and I couldn't put it down. I will re-read both when the third one comes out. ( )
  Tara714 | Apr 1, 2014 |
Can't do it right now, I just can't. I may return to it some day but I'm putting it off for the time being.
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
I love this book - so far I love this trilogy. I think that it's a really unique take on the end of the world/vampires/etc.

Highly recommended - but you have to start with book one 'The Passage' ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Expected this sequel to perhaps not measure up to the 1st book, The Passage; however, it exceeded my expectations. I enjoyed it more than the first. ( )
  kp9949 | Mar 16, 2014 |
Upon reading book two of The Passage trilogy, my recommendation to author Justin Cronin remains the same: get an editor, or at least seek medical help for diarrhea of the typewriter (I don't care if nobody uses typewriters anymore -- the affliction is what it is). The action at the end of The Passage left me hopeful that we hit the action phase of this story, but Cronin sends us reeling into back stories for characters we don't really care about, and in excruciating detail. I kept wanting to yell, "GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!"

I would have much rather heard more about "The Twelve", original virals, each with a following of turned former humans. What did they think? What were there goals? How did their background affect their current behavior? They are all criminals, that we know. Well, except for Amy. And she's part of the 12 only because one was killed in the first book.

After all of the slow development of the main plot, the climax seemed rushed. We know a little about some of the 12, but not all. People I had hoped perished in the final battle sadly did not, and Cronin drones on about them setting about mundane lives. But not for one of them...one character, abused during the story, is telepathically anointed as the spark to ignite book three.

I really think a good editor could have tightened up this story to make it more of a page turner. It took me several months to get through The Passage, only because I kept losing interest. This time, it was a time-limited audiobook from the library that forced me to get through it in a few weeks. Probably when book 3 comes out, I'll put myself through this torture again...after all, I've invested so much time into it. Whereas Peter Jackson took a relatively short book, The Hobbit, into three movies (and in the end with extended editions, no less), I could see a director squeeze this trilogy into a single 2 hour movie. ( )
  JeffV | Jan 28, 2014 |
For the early years of his career as a writer, Justin Cronin won awards and got teaching posts for the sort of book that is described as sensitive and evocative; then he decided to do something else, but to do it with the same seriousness and competence. The first novel of his vampire trilogy, The Passage, was a canny combination of disparate elements – he had learned from Stephen King how to tear the world apart and set monsters loose in it, and from Tolkien how to set a new innocent generation on a quest for the cure to the world's pain. What is impressive about that book, and now its sequel The Twelve, is that there is nothing contemptuous about Cronin's approach; this is a formal exercise based on study and thought, but it has also a serious commitment to the virtues he has found in genre fiction – well-paced flurries of action and a deepened portrayal of the conventional emotions that too often become clichés.
added by marq | editThe Guardian, Roz Kaveney (Oct 25, 2012)

She stood beside me for years, or was it a moment? I cannot remember. Maybe I loved her, maybe I didn’t. There was a house, and then no house. There were trees, but none remain. When no one remembers, what is there? You, whose moments are gone, who drift like smoke in the afterlife, tell me something, tell me anything. - Mark Strand, "In the Afterlife"
For Leslie, foot-to-foot
For it came to pass that the world had grown wicked, and men had taken war into their hearts, and committed great defilements upon every living thing, so that the world was a dream of death;
Watch the clock. Know the location of the nearest hardbox.  When in doubt, run.
Hence the major problem with immortality, apart from the peculiar diet: everything began to bore you.
Give people hope, and you could make them do just about anything. And not just your average, everyday kind of hope--for food or clothes or the absence of pain or good suburban schools or low down payments with easy financing. What people needed was a hope beyond the visible world, the world of the body and its trials, of life's endless dull parade of things. A hope that all was not as it appeared.
They became their enemy, as all must do; they ceased to be slaves, and so became alive.
"Because that's what heaven is," said Amy. "It's opening the door of a house in twilight and everyone you love is there."

Survivors of a government-induced apocalypse endure their violent and disease-stricken world while protecting their loved ones; while a century into the future, members of a transformed society determinedly search for the original twelve virals.

974 wanted4 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,555,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible