Angelopolis by Danielle Trussoni

Angelopolis

by Danielle Trussoni

After reading the first book, Angelology, I was really excited to read Angelopolis and I wasn't disappointed. The story was filled with unexpected twists and was exciting, I do have to say that there is a lot of information to take in, from the Fagerge Eggs to Noah's medicine there is a lot for the reader to learn at a very quick pace. I wouldn't say this was an action filled novel nor would I want it to be but there is more action in Angelopolis compared to Angelogology, which brings up one of the problems I had. Humans are at a significant disadvantage fighting against angels, as one would expect, in all the years fighting and gaining experience to compete with the angels the angelogolists only came up with a stun gun, attacking the sternum, and a collar that makes the angels sleepy when trying to capture or fight them. It's a bit brave to say that these things alone would be enough to bring down the various types of angels, it's just difficult for me to believe.

Finding out what happened to the characters after the first book was a huge portion of my excitement, Verlaine becoming a strong angel hunter was unexpected but very welcome. His motivation to find Evangeline, who became a badass angel, and his journey to find her was only half of this story which I'm fine with. There is a bit of romance but its not overwhelming, you know its there but you know there is more important things going on. New characters like Vera, Yana, and Azov compliment the story and the characters we already know very well, especially Lucien who I hope in the next book we will get more time with. I think Danielle Trussoni does a good job balancing action, romance, and history throughout the story.

I really did enjoy this book and I'm very enthusiastic to read the next book in the series, Danielle Trussoni you can have my money. ( )
  Wushogun | Nov 30, 2016 |
As a sequel to Angelology, this picked up where the last left off. It would have been much smoother if I had read them closer together. The book is relatively character-heavy, and attention to lineage is a must to keep the story straight. Verlaine and Bruno, the elite angel hunters are very likable and sympathetic. Their loyalties are torn between their desire for a good and thorough job, and their infatuation (to the point of love) with the female angels they both hunt is palatable.

The angels are less sympathetic to me. They seem to be single-minded: to take over earth. I know that this is probably not exactly true, but their ruthlessness to kill humans and their disdain for all things mortal is evident in their actions and internal monologues. Because of this, it is hard to feel anything positive for the angels, with the exception of Evangeline, who is struggling with her own identity.

The book ends in a formal cliffhanger, ready to slide seamlessly into the third book. I am looking forward to the release and recommend this series. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
I recommend reading this second book in the 'Angelology' fantasy series right on the tails of finishing the first one, in order to get a better sense of flow and to capitalize on the high-momentum finish of the first novel. In some ways, this installment seems more academic compared to the more humanistic angle in the first one -- and thus, feels a little more drawn out. It didn't bore me, though. I reckon that the groundwork laid herein is necessary for the upcoming book(s).

For me, the ending was a bit of a let down, in that it ended abruptly (much like watching Part 1 of any blockbuster movie, knowing there is more but having to wait till the next release). I enjoyed it nonetheless, and admit that if I was patient enough to wait, I'd would much rather read the entire tome in one go (future installments included). ( )
  MomsterBookworm | May 14, 2015 |
Loved Trussoni's sequel to Angelology. Compelling writing. Great historical details. That said, second books in a trilogy are tough. They serve as bridges between the first and third. I'm guessing that Trussoni will finish with a third book, but who knows -- she might go on with more after that. Angelopolis brought back the characters we met in the first, but I missed Evangeline in this book - her part was so small. I needed more. Perhaps the next. ( )
  Nancy.Castaldo | Nov 3, 2014 |
3.5 stars

Verlaine continues the hunt

This is #2 in a series & the first thing I'll say is don't even think about reading this as a stand alone. Even if you've read "Angelology", because of the large gap between publications, it will be a challenge to remember all the details needed to follow this sequel.
It opens 10 years after the events chronicled in the first book. V.A. Verlaine, angel hunter extraordinaire, hasn't seen Evangeline Cacciatore since he saw her spread her new wings above NYC after the catastrophe at St. Rose Convent. He's now in Paris, working with his friend & mentor Bruno, another angelologist. They are called to the scene of the brutal murder of an angel. The ID suggests it's Evie & Verlaine is heartbroken. However, as he leaves the are he spies her on the street & catches up for a chat.
She's now a full fledged angel & beautiful to behold. He never told his colleagues about her metamorphosis & now that the secret is out, he should capture & turn her in. But he still loves her & listens to her tale.
The most elite of the angels, the Grigori, want her dead & have hired Eno for the job. Eno is a beautiful & lethal Emin angel the hunters have been after since the 1880's. Bruno almost had her a couple of times & has the scars to prove it. He catches up to Verlaine & they watch helplessly as Eno attacks Evie again.
Before she is captured & flown away, Evie manages to slip Verlaine a jewelled egg she believes holds the answers to her ancestry & why the Grigori want her dead.
Soon, Verlaine & Bruno are on their way to St. Petersburg to meet up with Vera, a researcher at the Hermitage & specialist in the Romanovs, Faberge eggs & the role of angels in Russian history.
The scope of the plot is huge and the author spends much time on histories of ancient lands, peoples & cultures. Woven into present day events are the stories of the Tsar & Tsarina, Rasputin, Noah and the flood, biblical interpretations, Peter the Great & the "real" purpose of the fabled Faberge eggs. We also learn the truth behind Evie's existence, her genealogy, who her real father is & why she was conceived.. Verlaine & Co. will travel from NYC to Paris, St. Petersburg, Siberia & back. The sections of the book are named for Dante's circles of hell & chapters are told from the viewpoint of various characters as the story lines progress on several fronts simultaneously.
At the heart of the book is the relationship between Evie & Verlaine but she appears fleetingly. It's more Verlaine's story as he struggles to understand what she is & reconcile his feelings with his duty as a hunter. There are many interesting characters here but his is the only one to undergo any appreciable development as the author spends more time on historical figures.
There are many gory battle scenes throughout & the finale is almost apocalyptic in nature, setting the stage for the next instalment. It's less character driven than the first book, instead more of a massive background & history lesson for the reader to prepare them for book #3. Don't get me wrong. I found the author's impressive research & alternate explanations for historical characters & events to be fascinating (Noah was an angel hunter? Queen Victoria had wings? Huh...who'da thunk it). But if you were waiting for a continuation of the romantic angle, you'll be disappointed.
Resolutions are few & the ending leaves the world in the precarious position of full out war between angels & humans as the angels strive to create Angelopolis, a society where civilization as we know it will cease to exist. If you make it this far, no doubt you'll pick up book #3 just to see how it all pans out. ( )
  RowingRabbit | Sep 14, 2014 |
And she began to speak to me - so gently and softly - with angelic voice.

- Dante, Inferno
For Angela
The scientist examined the girl, his fingers pressing into her skin.

"Danielle Trussoni's bestselling first novel, Angelology, wove biblical lore, the Orpheus myth, and Milton's Rebel Angels into a present-day world tinged with the divine supernatural. The novel plunged two endearing loners--art historian V. A. Verlaine and Evangeline, a beautiful young nun--into an ancient battle between a secret society and mankind's most insidious enemies: angel-human hybrids known as the Nephilim. Now a decade has passed since Verlaine saw Evangeline alight from the Brooklyn Bridge, the sight of her wings a betrayal that haunts him still. The Nephilim are again on the rise, scheming to construct their own paradise--the Angelopolis-- and ruthlessly pursued by Verlaine in his new calling as an angel hunter. But when Evangeline materializes, Verlaine is besieged by doubts that will only grow as forces more powerful than even the Nephilim draw them from Paris to Saint Petersburg and deep into the provinces of Siberia and the Black Sea coast. A high-octane tale of abduction and liberation, treasure seeking and divine warfare, Angelopolis plumbs Russia's imperial past, modern genetics, and the archangel Gabriel's famous visitations to conceive a fresh tableau of history and myth that will, once again, enthrall readers the world over"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,677,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible