Black Dawn by Rachel Caine

The twelfth installment in Caine's thrilling Morganville Vampire series, Black Dawn, does an excellent job at maintaining a high standard of storytelling and overall excitement.

This time around, Morganville has properly gone to shit and Claire and co. must find a solution to the Draug problem and save the town they actually pretty much hate? They address the irony so I don't have to side-eye anyone.

Anyone who has been reading from book one is very familiar with the characters by now, so we certainly don't need major developments at this stage, but Caine is the gift that just keeps on giving. Michael and Eve take more of a central role than they have in the past few books and I really appreciated seeing their relationship problems as opposed to the events of the previous book just being brushed under the carpet.

Shane's parts of the books honestly frustrated me a little bit. I found myself wishing for his hallucination part to end so we could get back to the story. I have to say I'm not overly keen on the shifting perspectives since I like seeing everything from Claire's point of view, but I accept that after so many books, there's only so much the author can get from one character.

Myrnin is still my favourite sans none. I understand that his behaviour can be cruel and benevolent at times but he undoubtedly cares about Claire. I honestly never suspected his feelings for her before this book, and maybe in another time, with no Shane around, I could wish for that ending, but Shane is just too perfect for Claire. I love that Caine has spent so many books with Claire and Shane together. She doesn't unnecessarily pull them apart every five seconds in order to fill pages. It's much more heartfelt and realistic as far as I'm concerned.

The draug plot line is one of the best arcs Caine has explored throughout the series. This enemy brought hopelessness and suffering to a whole new level in Morganville and it really had me wondering if they could find a way out this time.

I'm highly anticipating the last three books and hope they can keep with the momentum of this installment. Hopefully the series will go out with a bang, but after so many excellent books, I have every faith in Rachel Caine pulling it off wonderfully. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
Loved it. It amazes me how after 11 books Rachel Caine can keep the story fresh but she does. Book 12 does not disappoint!! ( )
  BookLoversLife | Apr 24, 2014 |
Here we are back for another installment of the YA Morganville Vampires series. This latest is book 12 of a planned 15 book series that centers on Claire Danvers, a teen who attends college in Morganville, a Texas town where vampires and humans co-exist openly. Once you move to Morganville and find out their secret, good luck getting out. Rachel Caine sure knows how to feed my addiction to this series by releasing new books twice a year. Life is never dull in Morganville and each book introduces a new challenge for the gang. I miss the series already, even though there are still three books left to go. The latest book is still keeping me guessing on what the end game of the series will be as circumstances in Morganville become more and more dire.

In the 12th Morganville Vampires book Black Dawn, the action picks up right after Last Breath took off. In fact, many of the same problems exist from that book so this is more of a continuation of that story. The icky mysterious draug creatures are still creating havoc in Morganville and have the vampires running scared. The draug hide out wherever the water is and feed off of any available vampire or human they can find. They are fiendish creatures that can multiply in water – they made me recall the monsters of Gremlins or CHUD. They have a deadly leader too named Magnus but he doesn’t have a stripe like in Gremlins, in fact it’s almost impossible to tell him apart. Time is running out to destroy them before they take over completely. And with Founder Amelie infected, wannabe vampire leaders come out of the woodwork to try and take over. Claire, Shane, Michael and Eve have their work cut out for them once again.

The book again continues the recent trend of multiple POV, with Claire, Shane, Michael, Eve, and Oliver taking turns with the narration. And Shane in particular takes the reader on quite a journey with one of his chapters that had me holding my breath. I like following different characters around, and learning their secrets and thoughts about the craziness of Morganville. So I’m glad that the multiple POV has become a regular thing now.

This book is moody, dark and intense and has a bigger sense of hopelessness than other installments. With Morganville under attack basically it felt like anything could happen. The stress and tension of the crisis brings out some interesting reactions from the characters.

One thing that sets the vampires of Morganville apart is that they are so unpredictable, and for the most part very dangerous. And with Morganville in flux, the relationship between vampires and humans is extremely fragile. That relationship continues to intrigue me and I’m so curious to see where it’s all heading.

In Black Dawn important events occur that set the stage for the next book in the series. Emotions run high and glimpses inside the minds of different characters show how much they care about one another. This installment was a little uneven for me though, and I can’t quite put my finger on why. I think I was ready to move on from the draug story, or maybe they just creep me out. Regardless, this book ends on such an ominous tone that has me concerned for the fate of my favorite characters. I look forward to visiting Morganville again soon to see how Claire and the gang are managing to survive in the next book, Bitter Blood. ( )
  readingdate | Jan 7, 2014 |
This was a decent read but I don't have any overwhelming feelings about it. Just a feeling of OMG, what else could possibly happen. Guess I'll just have to wait patiently for the next installment to find out. 3.5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 7, 2013 |
Full review will come later, right now, I'm sure I'd only sound like a gushing fangirl! OMGILOVETHIS!! :P ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |

"Ever since the draug--mysterious creatures that prey on vampires--took over Morganville, the lives of Claire Danvers and her friends have been thrown into turmoil. Most of the residents have evacuated, but Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael have chosen to stay and fight."--Front jacket flap.… (more)

317 wanted2 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,462,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible