Black Dawn by Rachel Caine
213None54,419 (3.89)2

Here we are back for another installment of the YA Morganville Vampires series. This latest is book 12 of a planned 15 book series that centers on Claire Danvers, a teen who attends college in Morganville, a Texas town where vampires and humans co-exist openly. Once you move to Morganville and find out their secret, good luck getting out. Rachel Caine sure knows how to feed my addiction to this series by releasing new books twice a year. Life is never dull in Morganville and each book introduces a new challenge for the gang. I miss the series already, even though there are still three books left to go. The latest book is still keeping me guessing on what the end game of the series will be as circumstances in Morganville become more and more dire.

In the 12th Morganville Vampires book Black Dawn, the action picks up right after Last Breath took off. In fact, many of the same problems exist from that book so this is more of a continuation of that story. The icky mysterious draug creatures are still creating havoc in Morganville and have the vampires running scared. The draug hide out wherever the water is and feed off of any available vampire or human they can find. They are fiendish creatures that can multiply in water – they made me recall the monsters of Gremlins or CHUD. They have a deadly leader too named Magnus but he doesn’t have a stripe like in Gremlins, in fact it’s almost impossible to tell him apart. Time is running out to destroy them before they take over completely. And with Founder Amelie infected, wannabe vampire leaders come out of the woodwork to try and take over. Claire, Shane, Michael and Eve have their work cut out for them once again.

The book again continues the recent trend of multiple POV, with Claire, Shane, Michael, Eve, and Oliver taking turns with the narration. And Shane in particular takes the reader on quite a journey with one of his chapters that had me holding my breath. I like following different characters around, and learning their secrets and thoughts about the craziness of Morganville. So I’m glad that the multiple POV has become a regular thing now.

This book is moody, dark and intense and has a bigger sense of hopelessness than other installments. With Morganville under attack basically it felt like anything could happen. The stress and tension of the crisis brings out some interesting reactions from the characters.

One thing that sets the vampires of Morganville apart is that they are so unpredictable, and for the most part very dangerous. And with Morganville in flux, the relationship between vampires and humans is extremely fragile. That relationship continues to intrigue me and I’m so curious to see where it’s all heading.

In Black Dawn important events occur that set the stage for the next book in the series. Emotions run high and glimpses inside the minds of different characters show how much they care about one another. This installment was a little uneven for me though, and I can’t quite put my finger on why. I think I was ready to move on from the draug story, or maybe they just creep me out. Regardless, this book ends on such an ominous tone that has me concerned for the fate of my favorite characters. I look forward to visiting Morganville again soon to see how Claire and the gang are managing to survive in the next book, Bitter Blood. ( )
  readingdate | Jan 7, 2014 |
This was a decent read but I don't have any overwhelming feelings about it. Just a feeling of OMG, what else could possibly happen. Guess I'll just have to wait patiently for the next installment to find out. 3.5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 7, 2013 |
Full review will come later, right now, I'm sure I'd only sound like a gushing fangirl! OMGILOVETHIS!! :P ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
I love The Morganville Vampires series with all my heart. I've read all the books to date a few times and I only do that with absolute all-time favourites. I tend to complain when a series just goes on and on but seriously? I don't want this one to end, ever. I don't know how I can ever let go of these wonderfully developed characters and their scarily addictive story. Everything about these books just draw me in and refuses to let go. They're so incredibly gripping and entertaining. The only bad thing is that I get so caught up in them I finish them in no time and then I'm left waiting impatiently for the next book. I try to pace myself but it's just not possible.

Black Dawn picks up right where book eleven left off. Morganville is in serious danger as the draug (the only thing that really terrifies vampires) are in town and threatening to ruin everything! We see humans and vampires somewhat reluctantly joining together to fight a common enemy. This whole book was so insanely intense. I had to put it down several times because it was freaking me out so much! It really messes with your emotions and I was so terrified for my favourite characters because they have to face some awful situations. Yet they do it with courage and never really think about not fighting. They're all seriously brave and I love how, as always, Michael, Eve, Shane and Claire look out for each other even when they're not getting on.

Shane gets a lot of focus in this book- something I'm sure many fans won't mind at all! Of course, as always where Shane is concerned, it's not always good focus and will probably make your heart freak out and have you refusing to believe what you've just read. Shane has a way of always getting into sticky situations (not always his fault, really) and terrifying both the characters and the readers! Claire is awesome and has gotten even tougher, something I didn't think was even possible. She's so selfless and smart, it's hard not to like her. Their relationship faces some problems but neither of them run away from the problems and it's interesting watching them try to deal.

Myrnin is as awesome (and wacky) as ever and made me laugh out loud so many times. He's also getting really sweet and at times was seemed to be becoming a bit of a softie! Michael and Eve are still reeling from the events of book eleven. This book is told from many POVs, which works sometimes and doesn't work other times. I like seeing things from Shane and Claires perspective, but I'm really wasn't too crazy about the times it switched to Eve. I really love her as a character but her POVs just don't work for me. Overall, this is book is amazing and I have no idea how I'm going to handle the wait until book 13, which isn't out until November of this year. I can't recommend this series enough, even though new-comers will certainly have a lot to catch up on! ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |
4.5 stars

So I was looking forward to reading this book for two reasons: one, it was the first book I'd get to read in AT LEAST a month. I kid you not. Two, it's Rachel Caine. And Morganville. After her last book upped the notch even further, I awaited this book with eager anticipation. It didn't disappoint.

Rachel Caine has a rare talent with her ability to make a series this long, yet one that never fails to keep you reading in suspense. Black Dawn is action-packed, filled with fast-paced scenes that keep you on the edge of your seat. Friends Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael have to battle the draug once more with the help of a few others. Amelie has been bitten by the master draug and Morganville's future looks bleak unless something can be done to defeat the vampires' deadliest enemy. Caine narrates the story from a variety of POVs, not only those of the four MCs, but also several others. Each narrator has their own unique voice, distinguished from every other, nicely establishing a relationship between the reader and each of the characters. In between the action Caine integrates some sweet scenes between Michael and Eve and, of course, Shane and Clare.

Something that particularly stood out for me about this book was the way in which you got to see our four friends all notably develop. You'd think that this many books into the series, there wouldn't be more to add. But there is. The changes in these characters make you appreciate them all the more and even those who seem cold on the exterior - namely Oliver and Monica - are allowed some vulnerable moments. And really, could I write this review without dedicating just a little time to Shane? I think not. ;) Without giving too much away, I will say that Shane goes through an especially difficult time. There's one chapter (you'll know when you read it) which is beautifully written, and the effects of his experience are brilliantly woven into the rest of the story. Shane remains the sweet heartthrob that we've come to know and love.

Overall, Black Dawn (isn't that such a cool name??) is wonderfully written with alternating POVs that don't jump too quickly, allowing you to get to know the characters even more and help with the pace of the story. For all you Shane fans out there, I promise you that however much you love him already, you love him more in this one! If you haven't read this already, do so as soon as you can! :) ( )
  AaIshah | Dec 21, 2012 |

"Ever since the draug--mysterious creatures that prey on vampires--took over Morganville, the lives of Claire Danvers and her friends have been thrown into turmoil. Most of the residents have evacuated, but Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael have chosen to stay and fight."--Front jacket flap.… (more)

317 wanted2 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible