Black Dawn by Rachel Caine

This was a decent read but I don't have any overwhelming feelings about it. Just a feeling of OMG, what else could possibly happen. Guess I'll just have to wait patiently for the next installment to find out. 3.5 Stars

Read With Me: Black Dawn ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
I wanted to read Black Dawn because I had to know what was going to happen with Amelie, and I am loving this series in general. I have raced through them and can't stop making moments to read it.

It was hard seeing Eve and Michael having a hard time after the events in the last book, but I am so rooting for them to somehow make it work. But some of the comments and being in M's head makes me think that maybe it won't. I hope so hard that I am misreading it though, because even though Eve has such a vulnerability she is also very strong and knows how to handle herself.

Claire is coming even more into her own, and less afraid to speak up. She had a confrontation with Oliver, and I was so proud of her. I sincerely hope that some cure can be found for Amelie, but it was looking pretty grim, and I wondered just how Morganville would continue to exist and how the humans would fare if Oliver did take over.

It was neat though, to see humans and vamps working side by side and growing a bit more appreciation for the other in fighting the powerful draugh. They are water dwellers, and can move and multiply. Though they prefer vamps, they will go after humans too, and it was very action filled as they were fighting them. I was worried by the tone that the epilogue took, but I imagine it will just be another obstacle for them to overcome.

It didn't disappoint with keeping me guessing, bringing new challenges and developing the charac ters that I have come to love or at least love to hate. There is still the hint of unpredictability, and characters acting in a way that I haven't come to line up with their personalities and actions thus far.

Definitely still enjoying the series, and will continue until its over, at which point I might cry.

Bottom Line: Good installment, new enemies to fight and insights on the characters. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Jan 6, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this entry in The Morganville Vampire series. There was a lot of Myrnin, probably my favorite character, so that was a huge plus. But I have to admit, I don't like Shane. And the longer they are together, the less I see his and Claire's relationship making any sense. What bugged me in this book is that despite her intelligence, when it comes to Shane Claire is overly codependent, in my opinion. Then again, I should probably make concessions for her age and deem it an adolescent love sort of thing, lol. The plot picked up from the previous book and moved right along with plenty of action throughout. If you enjoy this series, you will definitely enjoy Black Dawn. ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 11, 2014 |
So intense... I'm so sleepy but I want to keep reading... Lovely job Ms Caine, simply lovely. :-) ( )
  CAMMD | Aug 4, 2014 |
The twelfth installment in Caine's thrilling Morganville Vampire series, Black Dawn, does an excellent job at maintaining a high standard of storytelling and overall excitement.

This time around, Morganville has properly gone to shit and Claire and co. must find a solution to the Draug problem and save the town they actually pretty much hate? They address the irony so I don't have to side-eye anyone.

Anyone who has been reading from book one is very familiar with the characters by now, so we certainly don't need major developments at this stage, but Caine is the gift that just keeps on giving. Michael and Eve take more of a central role than they have in the past few books and I really appreciated seeing their relationship problems as opposed to the events of the previous book just being brushed under the carpet.

Shane's parts of the books honestly frustrated me a little bit. I found myself wishing for his hallucination part to end so we could get back to the story. I have to say I'm not overly keen on the shifting perspectives since I like seeing everything from Claire's point of view, but I accept that after so many books, there's only so much the author can get from one character.

Myrnin is still my favourite sans none. I understand that his behaviour can be cruel and benevolent at times but he undoubtedly cares about Claire. I honestly never suspected his feelings for her before this book, and maybe in another time, with no Shane around, I could wish for that ending, but Shane is just too perfect for Claire. I love that Caine has spent so many books with Claire and Shane together. She doesn't unnecessarily pull them apart every five seconds in order to fill pages. It's much more heartfelt and realistic as far as I'm concerned.

The draug plot line is one of the best arcs Caine has explored throughout the series. This enemy brought hopelessness and suffering to a whole new level in Morganville and it really had me wondering if they could find a way out this time.

I'm highly anticipating the last three books and hope they can keep with the momentum of this installment. Hopefully the series will go out with a bang, but after so many excellent books, I have every faith in Rachel Caine pulling it off wonderfully. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |

"Ever since the draug--mysterious creatures that prey on vampires--took over Morganville, the lives of Claire Danvers and her friends have been thrown into turmoil. Most of the residents have evacuated, but Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael have chosen to stay and fight."--Front jacket flap.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,026,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible