Ascend by Amanda Hocking

English (33)  Italian (1)  All languages (34)
I received a copy of this book in return for a review.

The book itself is not marked as being part three of a series. That it is indeed part 3 is something I found disconcerting. So much has happened in previous books I haven't read that I don't understand most of the references made. I was several chapters in before I realized that 'Trylle' meant 'Troll' and I still don't understand why they talk about the United States right alongside their Fairyland. Or why it is that trylle look so much like humans that they can apparently successfully pass as them and yet are afraid of discovery. Why haven't they simply integrated? Why haven't the humans discovered them?

These unanswered questions make the book that much harder to read, even though the prose is easy to follow and the heroine somewhat sympathetic. (And somewhat ditzy. We're all but at war with Teh Enemy. Let's go visit! And fickle. She's married to one guy and in love with two others. At the same time.) Another example of the princess' good judgment -- the villain is immortal, so she'll just cut off his head. Now, if she was planning on sealing it in cement, I might call that a plan, but to me, it just raises the question of what kind of immortal is someone who dies from cutting off their head? (Shut up, Highlander.)

It ended well, but I think that the solution was overly simplistic and the deeper problems with the society brushed over. Still, it made me *care* about those problems, so it wasn't bad, not at all. ( )
  deshanya | Nov 22, 2014 |
With Elora declining fast, changeling Wendy knows it's only a matter of time before she becomes Queen of the Trylle and her father the King of an opposing faction of trolls called the Vittra, will attack her people. Then Loki - one of the Vittra that Wendy met when she was imprisoned - suddenly shows up looking for amnesty. Can she trust him? And can she defeat her father with the help of her friends?

The third book in the Trylle trilogy comes together for a satisfying conclusion in this fast-paced read. Nothing was truly surprising, but it's a solid read for fans of YA fantasy and paranormal romance. Wendy narrates her story, and we follow everything through her eyes and she starts to see Elora and Loki more clearly, and as she struggles to do what's right for the kingdom or for herself, personally. ( )
1 vote bell7 | Oct 27, 2014 |
I have really enjoyed this series and I am sad to see it end! I thought Ascend was a perfect conclusion, especially with the bonus short story at the end. The world that was created was so interwoven with our own that it made it hard not to believe in the possibilities!
Wendy is a different person in this book than in the first. She grew so much as she accepted her destiny and made it her own. This is one of the things that I loved about her. She accepted her destiny, but she also refused to accept those things about her new society that she felt were wrong. Instead, she strives to make change, to make a rather stagnant society grow with her. She has met with a lot of opposition from those traditionalists, but she stays true to herself. The message there is inspiring.

There is a lot more action in this book, lots of twists and turns. There were also some deeply emotional moments that truly tugged at the heart strings. My feelings for various characters constantly changed throughout the book... loving them one moment and annoyed by them the next!

My Recommendation: I loved this series and its premise and I am sad to see it end! I gave it 4.5 mugs! ( )
  Kiki870 | Aug 22, 2014 |
A good conclusion to a fun series. ( )
  WiseYoungFools | Mar 3, 2014 |
Some books you can read as a stand alone even when part of a trilogy but don't attempt this one. It makes very little sense and the setting is totally omitted in this book. Had no idea where I was or what era I was in. Series may be enjoyable but not as a stand alone. ( )
  lislilbet | Jul 22, 2013 |

Duty-bound to marry her friend Tove in order to give the Trylle people their strongest king and queen in history, Wendy, a changeling troll princess, is torn between two other suitors, Finn and Loki.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,394,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible