Ascend by Amanda Hocking

English (30)  Italian (1)  All languages (31)
A good conclusion to a fun series. ( )
  WiseYoungFools | Mar 3, 2014 |
Some books you can read as a stand alone even when part of a trilogy but don't attempt this one. It makes very little sense and the setting is totally omitted in this book. Had no idea where I was or what era I was in. Series may be enjoyable but not as a stand alone. ( )
  lislilbet | Jul 22, 2013 |
I'm not a fan of the teen mother happy ending. But this was a fun series of books to read, and I think I'll give some more the author's books a try. ( )
  __Lindsey__ | Apr 17, 2013 |
I had dramatically mixed feeling about this book. I say dramatic because there were things that I absolutely loved and found to be unique and things that I felt a little disappointed in.

I know that not everyone would agree about how easy Wendy is to connect with but I felt she matured in this book. Or seemed more mature, she has the weight of the kingdom on her shoulders and even though her first instinct is to make risky decisions. It seems that people can talk her down from the cliff now, where before she would just jump.

What really had me with these books is the character of Loki. He didn't how up until book two and I loved him from the minute we met him. We get a better look at his character in this book, we found out more about his past and see a different side of him. Loki is that character that doesn't hold anything back and that is what makes him so great in my eyes.

Finn is his usual, duty comes first, self. He was always just okay for me and he continued to be that way in this book. I wanted to smack him and tell him to go find something better to do.

The way the love story worked itself out in this book was made me find it unique. I also liked the bonus story that rounded the whole thing out. We didn't have any awkward third wheel leftover like we normally would.

The thing that disappointed me was the epic battle that wasn't. The build up in the story was great but I felt like the turn of events toward the end fell a little flat. I had hoped to see a little bit more from that.

The book did go well with the other two books. We see a lot more from some of the characters that we didn't really see. Some characters took a back seat when they had been more prominent. I think as far as tying up the series this book did a good job of it. So it's still a good read.
1 vote JenWitch | Apr 4, 2013 |

JenWitch | Apr 4, 2013 |

Duty-bound to marry her friend Tove in order to give the Trylle people their strongest king and queen in history, Wendy, a changeling troll princess, is torn between two other suitors, Finn and Loki.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,626,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible