Ascend by Amanda Hocking

Ascend

by Amanda Hocking

Other authors: Jason Letts (Editor)

Series: Trylle Trilogy (3)

7205213,063 (3.89)8

English (51)  Italian (1)  All languages (52)
Well I finished this trilogy. I found it stereotypical, bland, and highly dull.

The writing was so simplistic, even for a young adult book, and it was just all around disappointing, with one-dimensional characters and plot. ( )
  GwenMcGinty | May 13, 2016 |
I really wanted to like this book. The book was still diverting, but its flaws prevented me from getting anything of value from the book.

From the beginning I have not liked Loki, which is probably a big reason why the ending of this book was so unsatisfying. I felt that his only role was to fulfill the Twilight/Hunger Games romance plot device (the second perfect guy that tries to fight for the heart of the female lead), which really irritated me. It was fun to pick teams for a while (I was Team Edward and Team Gale all the way—I always root for the guys who got there first), but I am so tired of reading about the same love triangle over and over again. Let's move on to something else, please.

I would have been less annoyed by the whole Wendy/Loki affair if it at least felt believable. Their relationship still seemed forced, and I have a hard time believing that Wendy would jump in bed with a guy she was "head over heels" for mere days after being in love with someone else.

The battle at the end was also unsatisfying because it all felt, once again, forced. Everything worked out just perfectly so that the only people who actually died were the bad guys and the nameless characters.

The switch to present tense in the epilogue also bugged me, but at least it was relatively short.

By the end of the book, the only characters I liked were Willa, Tove, and Elora.

Again, I wish I could have got caught up in the hype that surrounds this series, but there are just too many glaring problems that bother me. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 3, 2016 |
I enjoyed the way this series reframed our ideas about "trolls," which offered a refreshing change from the vampires and werewolves that can get a little old. I'm torn between three and four stars because I wouldn't say I "loved" the series, but I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who listens to this genre. So I'll leave it at four.

I particularly like the way the author brought the series to an end. I'm sure she was under some pressure to come up with a fourth in the series, but the story ends exactly where it should have. ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
As a Harry Potter fan, (which is unusual for me, i like romances) i thought i'd give this a go - i was not dissapointed. I really liked Wendy, and Amanda's style of writing, so much so that i have read all the Trylle books. Highly recommended. ( )
  RomancingAmy | Sep 3, 2015 |
I wasn't super invested in this series. I mean, I liked it, but I wasn't DYING to read it, I was just interested. The beginning was a turn off. There was so much backstory and regurgitation of old events that I might as well not have read them. (Seriously, does anyone start a series in the middle? If so, they should be left lacking rather than me having to reread the same thing a third time.)

Then, things got good, REALLY good. The whole Loki/Finn thing felt a little convenient, but I liked it in a guilty-pleasure sort of way. Wendy seemed to cry and have someone tell her to stop crying in every scene, which made me not like her as much. But Loki made up for it. He's one of the best characters I've read in a long time. I couldn't put it down and actually read the whole thing in one day. ( )
  rachelmccoy | Aug 30, 2015 |

Amanda Hockingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Letts, JasonEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Duty-bound to marry her friend Tove in order to give the Trylle people their strongest king and queen in history, Wendy, a changeling troll princess, is torn between two other suitors, Finn and Loki.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,955,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible