Ascend by Amanda Hocking

by Amanda Hocking

Other authors: Jason Letts (Editor)

Series: Trylle Trilogy (3)

English (49)  Italian (1)  All languages (50)
I enjoyed the way this series reframed our ideas about "trolls," which offered a refreshing change from the vampires and werewolves that can get a little old. I'm torn between three and four stars because I wouldn't say I "loved" the series, but I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who listens to this genre. So I'll leave it at four.

I particularly like the way the author brought the series to an end. I'm sure she was under some pressure to come up with a fourth in the series, but the story ends exactly where it should have. ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
As a Harry Potter fan, (which is unusual for me, i like romances) i thought i'd give this a go - i was not dissapointed. I really liked Wendy, and Amanda's style of writing, so much so that i have read all the Trylle books. Highly recommended. ( )
  RomancingAmy | Sep 3, 2015 |
I wasn't super invested in this series. I mean, I liked it, but I wasn't DYING to read it, I was just interested. The beginning was a turn off. There was so much backstory and regurgitation of old events that I might as well not have read them. (Seriously, does anyone start a series in the middle? If so, they should be left lacking rather than me having to reread the same thing a third time.)

Then, things got good, REALLY good. The whole Loki/Finn thing felt a little convenient, but I liked it in a guilty-pleasure sort of way. Wendy seemed to cry and have someone tell her to stop crying in every scene, which made me not like her as much. But Loki made up for it. He's one of the best characters I've read in a long time. I couldn't put it down and actually read the whole thing in one day. ( )
  rachelmccoy | Aug 30, 2015 |
.. ( )
  Wolf_xo101 | Jul 3, 2015 |
I don't want to spoil your reading so all I will say is ... the final book of this series is absolutely captivating!

I enjoyed this series and I was pleasantly surprised that the book went beyond the 'expected story plot' that is usually found in today's young adult books.

The one major drawback for me with this series is it's view on marriage. It presents marriage in a rather flippant light and one that I feel could have been better addressed while still keeping with the flow of the story. ( )
  mrsrenee | Jun 29, 2015 |

Amanda Hockingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Letts, JasonEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Duty-bound to marry her friend Tove in order to give the Trylle people their strongest king and queen in history, Wendy, a changeling troll princess, is torn between two other suitors, Finn and Loki.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible