Ascend: A Trylle Novel by Amanda Hocking

Ascend: A Trylle Novel (edition 2012)

by Amanda Hocking

Member:eliselb
Title:Ascend: A Trylle Novel
Authors:Amanda Hocking
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 326 pages

Ascend by Amanda Hocking

English (45)  Italian (1)  All languages (46)
I don't want to spoil your reading so all I will say is ... the final book of this series is absolutely captivating!

I enjoyed this series and I was pleasantly surprised that the book went beyond the 'expected story plot' that is usually found in today's young adult books.

The one major drawback for me with this series is it's view on marriage. It presents marriage in a rather flippant light and one that I feel could have been better addressed while still keeping with the flow of the story. ( )
  mrsrenee | Jun 29, 2015 |
I typically do not write anyting with spoilers and this still will not include big ones but it will include a few hints and pieces of information you might not want to know...so stop now if you haven't read the series yet.

I have to admit that this book left me a bit fustrated after really enjoying the first two books in this series so much. The beginning of this book confused me a bit since rather than picking up where Switched left off it went back in time about a week. I also found it strange that all of a sudden Wendy's had control over her powers and needed very little training when she could barely use them at the end of Switched.

I thought Wendy's final relationship developed a bit to fast...in fact I litterally yelled at my book a couple of times. There were a few areas that were predictable and others that I didn't see coming and thought "why didn't she do it this way?"

Despite these things I still really liked the overall idea of the story. I know Amanda Hocking has said that this will be the end of the series...but I would love to see here write additional stories set in this world for some of the other characters (if I mentioned who, I would give away the end of the book)! She could even expand it to some of the other Troll Villages!
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
(Spoilers!)

I prefer the first two books in this series to the last one. There was all of this built up anticipation for the so-called "war" that was supposed to happen and it ended so abruptly that I was left, mouth agape, trying to figure out why I read over 250 pages to get to, "I swung the sword down, slicing through his neck. I turned away so I didn't have to see it, but I heard his head fall to the floor." It was like I was on a rollercoaster looking forward to the huge drop in front of me, but instead the ride completely stopped.

There was no excitement in that "war," and I was disappointed. Where did the Amanda Hocking that I love go? There were a few other quotes that stuck out to me as being poorly written and left me screaming, "WHAT?!" in my head. For example, ""I don't know Wendy." Tove shook his head. "I don't want you to die, but I don't know what else to tell you."" Huh? That lacks so much compassion that I literally wanted to punch Tove in the face. Who cares if he's gay? I still think he should have been more upset about the fact that Wendy, at that point in the story, was most likely facing death.

Don't get me wrong, I do recommend this series and I do plan on reading more of her books but this one was just a letdown in more ways than one and to me it seems that Hocking may have rushed the ending to this series without putting as much thought into it as she did the first two books. ( )
  Wonderland_Books | May 2, 2015 |
I knew it would end with me totally pissed. And I am. The story is as riveting as the others and a complete nail biter/page turner that I raced through. I like the overall story but I won't pretend for a second that I even remotely like the ending. Amanda is a talented writer and this is the second series from her that I have latched onto and loved the characters. She writes these so that you find yourself wrapped up and feeling a part of the story. I completely recommend the Trylle trilogy to everyone but in my head I am rewriting the ending. ( )
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
Okay, so I am going to try to do this without spoilers but it is going to be hard!

I read the first book in this series a while back, though I did not review it at the time as I was not posting reviews at that point. I will try to reread it in the near future and post a review for you folks.

I posted my review of the second book in the series earlier today and was extremely grateful that I got Barnes and Noble gift cards for my birthday on the 18th so that I could get the next one immediately. I had to sit down and start reading, and have now finished it in under 12 hours. Yes, it is that good. The editing issues I mentioned in my review of Torn are not a problem here, as it would appear that this work was just edited better. I was unable to put it down, and that is high praise from me as I am not afraid to walk away from a book if it sucks.

The character development throughout the series as a whole was just absolutely amazing. You feel yourself drawn to the characters and sucked into the story. This series really does have it all. There is drama, action, adventure and romance all rolled into one. The forbidden love from the first book has morphed and changed, but you will not find yourself disappointed at all. The ending is absolutely perfect, and I especially loved the little short story that was included at the end of this one. A lot of books leave you hanging, wishing you could know what happened down the line, but this author did a good job of tying up loose ends in a short story she includes for her readers to enjoy.

Overall, this was an excellent book and I feel everyone needs to read this one! ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

Amanda Hockingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Letts, JasonEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Duty-bound to marry her friend Tove in order to give the Trylle people their strongest king and queen in history, Wendy, a changeling troll princess, is torn between two other suitors, Finn and Loki.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,929,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible