South of superior by Ellen Airgood

South of superior (edition 2011)

by Ellen Airgood

2094256,261 (3.74)13
Member:jneedham
Title:South of superior
Authors:Ellen Airgood
Info:

South of Superior by Ellen Airgood

Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani (tangledthread)
    tangledthread: The books are very similar in theme and format. Big Stone Gap takes place in the remote southwestern mountains of Virginia.

Have so enjoyed our travels into UP (almost starting to feel like Yoopers!) and read a couple books last year about life on Lake Superior. With no disloyalty to "Michigan Lake", there is a uniqueness to Superior, also and perhaps the "Iowa farmer" background I grew up with is just a tiny bit similar to a harder lifestyle in Upper Michigan along the Lake.
Not an exciting read, rather an unfolding of the people - - who survive and help each other here and 'accept' that which can't always be controlled.
I enjoyed it. ( )
  CasaBooks | Apr 28, 2013 |
I thought this would be a good beach read as it was set in Michigan and found it much more thought provoking with memorable characters and a look at the life of simple people in a simple life always living on the edge and how much do we really need beyond loyal, loving friends and neighbors. ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
Awesome… another book that sat on my shelf for too long, but, nice to find surprises and end the day having read a good book! I immediately went to check how many other books Ellen had out, hoping I had missed a sequel ,not yet but I hope she writes more about the hotel on Lake Superior. ( )
  mchwest | Mar 18, 2013 |
While the ending was predictable, as another reviewer mentioned, the progress toward it was interesting. Maybe as someone else with Scandinavian background, I am familiar with people who are close-mouthed about what's going on in their lives--tho I think Gladys went overboard with her secrets. And I could identify with how hot-headed Madeleine was, even if I never blow up as she does. Airgood did an excellent job of showing us (rather than flatly telling us!) how Madeleine's childhood affects her opinions & relations with Randi & Greyson.
I don't see Madeleine as irresponsible as another reviewer said. She is a bit lost and directionless in her life, but has a good deal of respect and caring for the people she meets. While she doesn't have a full time job at the time of the novel, it is obviously due to the depressed local economy. Having cared for elderly invalids myself, I know that they do not need, or often want, 24 hr vigilance. Arbutus is in full use of her mind and any accidents she may have while alone are not due to any irresponsibility on Madeleine's part.
The depiction of the Lake as expanding one's horizons, giving a sense of freedom, is inspiring. As much as I love my wooded interior, I may just have to plan a visit to the shore soon. ( )
  juniperSun | Nov 14, 2012 |
This was a good book, but was very predictable. ( )
  sjurban | Jun 18, 2012 |
The letter from Gladys Hansen was written in blue ink in an angular hand, on one sheet of plain white paper.

When Madeline Stone walks away from her Chicago life and moves five hundred miles north to the coast of Lake Superior, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, she isn't prepared for how much her life will change. Charged with caring for an aging family friend, Madeline finds herself in themiddle of beautiful nowhere with Gladys and Arbutus, two octogenarian sisters-one sharp and stubborn, the other sweeter than sunshine. As she is drawn into the dramas of the small, tight-knit town, Madeline learns that it's a place were times are tough and debts run deep, but where friendship, community, and compassion run deeper. A debut novel full of heart, South of Superior shows that there is a deep reward in caring for others, that one who is poor in pocket can be rich in many other ways, and that happiness often comes from the smallest gestures. (ARC)

Moving to Michigan's Upper Peninsula to care for an aging family friend, Madeline Stone becomes involved in the lives of the small community and two octogenarian sisters who teach her valuable lessons about love and goodwill.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

South of Superior by Ellen Airgood was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,379,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible