The Borrower: A Novel by Rebecca Makkai

The Borrower: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Rebecca Makkai

Collections:Have read this book
Rating:***
Tags:A Library Book Read

The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai

English (87)  Dutch (4)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All languages (97)
I wanted to like this more than I did. I think I needed to be able to suspend disbelief just a bit more than I was able to. ( )
  CydMelcher | Feb 5, 2016 |
Lucy is a 26-year-old unstereotypical librarian. She lives alone above a little theatre and although she is passionate about books and reading, her life is plodding along a bit. 10-year-old Ian spends every spare minute in the library, but his mother censors what he reads, and Lucy also finds out that she is sending him to a Pastor to make him less 'gay'. When she finds Ian camped out in the library one night, she finds herself unwittingly on a road trip with him, not knowing how the story will end.
I did love this book - Lucy is frustrating and Ian is annoying but it kind of works! It is a bit of a slow burner at times but you do wonder what is going to happen to this odd couple.
There is also a sub-plot about Lucy's Russian family which actually works well in contrast to the main story that unfolds. ( )
  AHouseOfBooks | Jan 27, 2016 |
I found this a truly enjoyable book with some insightful glimpses into the minds of we book-addicts. Funny; opinionated; the plot may be a tad far-fetched but it is worth suspending disbelief to go along on the ride. The last couple pages stunned me with a beautiful musing on nothing less than life itself. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
The novel bogs down for a long time in the middle with an excess of plot, but the moving final chapters affirm the power of books to change people’s lives even as they acknowledge the unbreakable bonds of home and family.

Smart, literate and refreshingly unsentimental.

In her bracingly tough-minded tale of a discontented librarian who hits the road with a maladjusted 10-year-old, Rebecca Makkai tips her hat to a shelf-load of children's literature, offering sly echoes of everything from "Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White to "Where's Spot?" By Eric Hill, while crafting her own distinctive sound in a first novel definitely not for kids. Makkai avoids almost all the pitfalls of debut fiction, including sentimentality and undigested autobiography, and though her plotting isn't as deft as her characterizations, the wonderfully nuanced closing pages more than make up for the occasional longueurs that precede them....Yet every conflicted word Lucy utters in Makkai's probing novel reminds us that literature matters because it helps us discover ourselves while exploring the worlds of others.

Rebecca Makkaiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Homedes Beutnagel, JofreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Homedes, JofreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I might be the villain of this story. Even now, it's hard to tell.

A librarian and a young boy obsessed with reading take to the road.

Lucy Hull, a young children’s librarian in Hannibal, Missouri, finds herself both kidnapper and kidnapped when her favorite patron, ten-year-old Ian Drake, runs away from home. The precocious Ian is addicted to reading, but needs Lucy’s help to smuggle books past his overbearing mother, who has enrolled Ian in weekly anti-gay classes.

Lucy, a rebel at heart beneath her librarian’s exterior, stumbles into a moral dilemma when she finds Ian camped out in the library after hours with a knapsack of provisions and an escape plan. Desperate to save him from the Drakes, Lucy allows herself to be hijacked by Ian. The odd pair embarks on an improvised road trip from Missouri to Vermont, with ferrets and an inconvenient boyfriend thrown in their path. Along the way, Lucy struggles to make peace with her Russian immigrant father and his fugitive past, and is forced to use his shady connections to escape discovery. [the author]
A librarian / kidnapped a little boy and / then sent him back home (_debbie_)
Ran from religion / Hiding out with the Russians / Reading can save you (_debbie_)

When her favorite patron, a book-loving ten-year-old, runs away from overbearing parents who force him to attend anti-gay classes with a celebrity pastor, children's librarian Lucy Hull flees with the boy and discovers that they are being pursued by an anonymous adversary.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Borrower - AUDIO EDITION by Rebecca Makkai was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,886,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible