The Borrower: A Novel by Rebecca Makkai

The Borrower: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Rebecca Makkai

Collections:Have read this book
Rating:***
Tags:A Library Book Read

The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai

English (94)  Dutch (4)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All (104)
Super sweet and funny, plus tears at the end. Loved the references to childrens lit and other American novels of travel from Twain on. A great book about the power of fiction to change lives. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Oh. A love letter to books, childrens' books, libraries and librarians. Loved the narrator's humor, the child's voice, the sweetness without being cloying. Now I want to read The Pushcart War again. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
Yes, there are plausibility issues, but I still really enjoyed this book. I thought both Lucy and Ian were well-drawn. And I really wanted to know what happened; I could barely put it down. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Abandoned. I enjoyed the library interaction with patrons and reading suggestions, but the author seemed to mainly be concerned with Christian-bashing and an LGBT agenda. I just could not continue to listen to the audiobook.
  thornton37814 | Jul 1, 2016 |
I had a hard time believing that this librarian was ok with essentially kidnapping a child. I empathised with the parents of the boy, whose child was missing for a week. Even though they were fundamentalist christians and were not likable people at all, they still loved their child. ( )
  benismydog | Jun 18, 2016 |
The novel bogs down for a long time in the middle with an excess of plot, but the moving final chapters affirm the power of books to change people’s lives even as they acknowledge the unbreakable bonds of home and family.

Smart, literate and refreshingly unsentimental.

In her bracingly tough-minded tale of a discontented librarian who hits the road with a maladjusted 10-year-old, Rebecca Makkai tips her hat to a shelf-load of children's literature, offering sly echoes of everything from "Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White to "Where's Spot?" By Eric Hill, while crafting her own distinctive sound in a first novel definitely not for kids. Makkai avoids almost all the pitfalls of debut fiction, including sentimentality and undigested autobiography, and though her plotting isn't as deft as her characterizations, the wonderfully nuanced closing pages more than make up for the occasional longueurs that precede them....Yet every conflicted word Lucy utters in Makkai's probing novel reminds us that literature matters because it helps us discover ourselves while exploring the worlds of others.

Rebecca Makkaiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Homedes Beutnagel, JofreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I might be the villain of this story. Even now, it's hard to tell.

A librarian / kidnapped a little boy and / then sent him back home (_debbie_)
Ran from religion / Hiding out with the Russians / Reading can save you (_debbie_)

When her favorite patron, a book-loving ten-year-old, runs away from overbearing parents who force him to attend anti-gay classes with a celebrity pastor, children's librarian Lucy Hull flees with the boy and discovers that they are being pursued by an anonymous adversary.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Borrower - AUDIO EDITION by Rebecca Makkai was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,834,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible