The Borrower: A Novel by Rebecca Makkai

The Borrower: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Rebecca Makkai

Collections:Have read this book
Rating:***
Tags:A Library Book Read

The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai

English (74)  Dutch (4)  German (3)  French (1)  All languages (82)
I really tried to love this, but in the end only found myself liking it.

I love books about books, and so this one caught my eye when I was perusing books at the latest book festival. The owner recommended this book (of course!) for its sad yet heartwarming story about a kind-of-kidnapper librarian. The premise sounded good, so I took a chance.

I really did love the characters. You have the little boy, Ian Drake, who acts more like a childish adult at times. I questioned his motivation for the series of events that happened throughout the story, and by the end you are left making assumptions about his motivations. Likewise, our classy librarian, Lucy Hall, is the unwitting kidnapper of Ian as they take a not so fantastical road trip throughout the north-east United States. I think I understood her motivation a little bit more, but only because of the endless "should-I-or-shouldn't-I?" decision making that takes place pretty much until the last page of the book. Um…I believe that it's possible for her to have made at least just a few more positive decisions. Just saying.

Honestly, the story dragged on a little bit longer than I would have liked. I was stuck on this car ride up until the very end. Just when I thought things would get interesting, we are thrown into another bad decision made by the protagonist. Seriously?

Simple twists and turns for an easy read. If you're looking for more complex plot development, however, look somewhere else. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
Beautiful, provocative, tragic, and fun. Almost perfect. My only quibbles are that the librarian could have made a difference in the child's life without the drama (but then she wouldn't have made her own personal journey of growth), and that the other librarians were caricatures and not believable. Highly recommended if you can manage a bit of suspension of disbelief. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Oh my gosh, I LOVED this! It was such a quick read for me--one of those books you can't put down, but that you hate for it to end. I really felt like I could identify with the protagonist. I especially appreciated that the author listed so many titles of books that she felt would be great for this kid to read--several were books I've read (as a kid or as an adult), and there were even more that I'm going to be adding to my To Read list!

I borrowed this from my local library, to read on my Kindle Fire. However, I'll be attending a conference next month that the author's supposed to be at--I'm thinking I'm going to buy a copy to have her sign. I really enjoyed this and would love to read it again!!! ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
Listened to the audio for first 6 discs (of 8); finished in print.

A unique story (26-year-old librarian and 10-year-old patron go on a road trip that is halfway between a runaway and a kidnapping) with common themes: the effect of family history on one's present actions, how much people can change (if at all), the power of story.

Lucy Hull works as a children's librarian in Hannibal, Missouri; Ian Drake is one of her favorite patrons, a voracious reader. Lucy helps Ian read books his religious mother wouldn't approve of (witches, wizards, etc.), and worries when she discovers that Ian is being sent to classes under the auspices of the Glad Heart Ministry (one of those pray-away-the-gay organizations). When Ian runs away to the library and Lucy discovers him there, he refuses to go home - so they run away instead.

Lucy's family is Russian, and though she thought she knew her family history, truer versions are revealed in the course of her and Ian's road trip, first at a stop at her parents' in Chicago, then at a family friends' house in Pittsburgh. It is a history of righteous anger, of false perceptions, of running away.

Quotes

But I was caught up in the cliche of it, the scripts you choose from when someone dies... (63)

It makes me wonder what kinds of fiction I'm capable of, by nature and nurture. (131)

My father, God bless him, pretended to believe me. He can believe anything he wants. (140)

...some of the dizziness and fuzzy-headedness I'd been feeling all day had to do with that realization, the idea that the rug of my family history might have just been yanked out from under me. (151)

"I think when we have false assumptions about the world, we make the wrong decisions." (186)

I felt that I needed to rewind my life to the beginning and watch it again, to see what I had missed. (188)

"This is a nation of runaways. Every person comes from somewhere else." (188)

"...but every year you see that what you thought you understood a year ago, no, wait, it is ten times worse." (225)

We actually were right. We just cared more about being right than about doing what was right. And we cared more about being right than about our own lives. (226)

I thought what a wonderful children's book that would make: a library haunted by friendly old librarians. (242)

Growing up...my younger self must have set some strange, romantic standards of adulthood: in one's twenties, one is to leave everything behind and start over. (264)

"The problem with you is you read and you read, but you don't listen to anything someone says with the mouth." (276)

I'd forgotten that all the runaway stories end like this. Everyone goes home. (281)

It was the universal revelation of adolescence, that the adults around you do not have all the answers - and like all children growing slowly and painfully into their mature selves, he'd realize it again and again over the next few years. But in Ian it was more than a simple disillusionment. It might well be what would save his life. (288)

You think you can't go home again? It's the only place you can ever go. (301)

I had failed to understand that one reason you can't change who you are is that you can't change where you're from. (301)

...all I knew were novels. It gave me pause, for a moment, that all my reference points were fiction, that all my narratives were lies. (319)

But books, on the other hand: I do still believe that books can save you. (320) ( )
  JennyArch | Jul 8, 2014 |
I liked this one a lot -- it was very sweet and slightly rebellious at the same time. I liked the characters, who never turned into clichés, and I really enjoyed the fact that each moment was a surprise -- you never knew what was coming next. Even the deus ex machina at the end was wackily perfect (I thought for sure the pastor at the end was going to become a love interest, which speaks to the book's essential kindly goofiness). Plus lots of literary references, librarians, oddball kids, expat Russians, northern Vermont. What's not to love? ( )
  lisapeet | May 16, 2014 |
The novel bogs down for a long time in the middle with an excess of plot, but the moving final chapters affirm the power of books to change people’s lives even as they acknowledge the unbreakable bonds of home and family.

Smart, literate and refreshingly unsentimental.

In her bracingly tough-minded tale of a discontented librarian who hits the road with a maladjusted 10-year-old, Rebecca Makkai tips her hat to a shelf-load of children's literature, offering sly echoes of everything from "Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White to "Where's Spot?" By Eric Hill, while crafting her own distinctive sound in a first novel definitely not for kids. Makkai avoids almost all the pitfalls of debut fiction, including sentimentality and undigested autobiography, and though her plotting isn't as deft as her characterizations, the wonderfully nuanced closing pages more than make up for the occasional longueurs that precede them....Yet every conflicted word Lucy utters in Makkai's probing novel reminds us that literature matters because it helps us discover ourselves while exploring the worlds of others.

I might be the villain of this story. Even now, it's hard to tell.

A librarian and a young boy obsessed with reading take to the road.

Lucy Hull, a young children’s librarian in Hannibal, Missouri, finds herself both kidnapper and kidnapped when her favorite patron, ten-year-old Ian Drake, runs away from home. The precocious Ian is addicted to reading, but needs Lucy’s help to smuggle books past his overbearing mother, who has enrolled Ian in weekly anti-gay classes.

Lucy, a rebel at heart beneath her librarian’s exterior, stumbles into a moral dilemma when she finds Ian camped out in the library after hours with a knapsack of provisions and an escape plan. Desperate to save him from the Drakes, Lucy allows herself to be hijacked by Ian. The odd pair embarks on an improvised road trip from Missouri to Vermont, with ferrets and an inconvenient boyfriend thrown in their path. Along the way, Lucy struggles to make peace with her Russian immigrant father and his fugitive past, and is forced to use his shady connections to escape discovery. [the author]
A librarian / kidnapped a little boy and / then sent him back home (_debbie_)
Ran from religion / Hiding out with the Russians / Reading can save you (_debbie_)

When her favorite patron, a book-loving ten-year-old, runs away from overbearing parents who force him to attend anti-gay classes with a celebrity pastor, children's librarian Lucy Hull flees with the boy and discovers that they are being pursued by an anonymous adversary.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Borrower - AUDIO EDITION by Rebecca Makkai was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,918,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible