Joni by Joni Eareckson Tada

Joni (1976)

by Joni Eareckson Tada

Other authors: Joe Musser

Series: Joni (1)

This was the first adult book I ever read... I was five years old, and I pulled it out of my mom's purse and started reading it while I was supposed to be napping. Kindof heavy for a small child (Joni is an artist who is now a quadraplegic after a diving accident as a teenager) but an amazing, inspiring, and very honestly related story, right down to the details of her struggle to continue to believe in God after losing all feeling and movement below her neck. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
In a sense this isn’t a direct autobiography. We meet Joni at the start of the book when she feels as if she is drowning after bumping her head, until she is rescued by one of her sisters. It’s a huge shock to her system to find herself in hospital, unable to move anything other than her head. From dreams of college and independence, she is entirely dependent on the hospital staff, and unsure whether she will survive.

The rest of the book charts her progress, including two operations, and a great deal of pain. The emotional pain is even worse; she feels useless, deeply depressed, and determined not to survive. She becomes angry with God, then unsure whether or not He exists - when she is able to read (with assistance) she studies agnostic and atheist philosophers and gets into debate with folk around her. It’s a powerful story, and Joni’s battles with depression (and other problems) are told openly and honestly.

My only reservation with the book is the amount of ‘preaching’. It’s not that I disagree with the principles; as a Christian believer myself, I fully understand how Joni’s faith was challenged, and the importance of her dedicating her life again to Jesus. But at times it seemed there was too much direct exposition, written in rather stilted conversational form, that did not feel realistic or particularly helpful. Perhaps it’s more valuable to those who are not already aware of these principles, and yet my suspicion is that many would find them offputting, and would have preferred a bit more subtlety.

With that proviso, I found this book (on my third reading in thirty years) well-written and well-paced, and enjoyed it very much.
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
A great testimonie of a young christian who though went though a terrible accident and disabltie in her life still believed and prayed to God. ( )
  hallam | Apr 9, 2008 |
This is story has stood the test of time, and so has the person. Joni was an ordinary teenager who went through some extraordinary circumstances. This story tells of her swimming accident that left her a quadraplegic and of the years that followed of how she and those around her coped with her handicap. It is a moving story that has a moving ending, but if you have followed the life of Joni, the story still hasn't ended and it continues to get more surprising. ( )
  taterzngravy | Jan 29, 2007 |
Inspiring, heart warming, heart wrenching, truely unforgettable story of Joni Eareksons fight to recover from a diving accident at the age of 16 that left her paralised. The physical struggle to health is told along side Jonis' life and relationship with God.
This really is one book that once read you will never forget. ( )
  susan139 | Aug 21, 2006 |

Joni Eareckson Tadaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Musser, Joesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
"We are handicapped on all sides, but we are never frustrated; we are puzzled, but never in despair. We are persecuted, but we never have to stand it alone: we may be knocked down but we are never knocked out! Every day we experience something of the death of Jesus, so that we may also know the power of the life of Jesus in these bodies of ours... We wish you could see how the more grace God gives, the more thsnksgiving will redound to his glory. This is the reason we never collapse."
-- 2 Cor. 4:8-10, 15, 16, Phillips
To the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ...and lovingly dedicated to mom...through whom He has especially expressed His kindness and love. Through her patient and understanding heart, I have drawn much more than strength.
The hot July sun was setting low in the west and gave the waters of Chesapeake Bay a warm red glow.

The award-winning story of a young woman who triumphed over devastating odds to touch countless lives the world over with the healing message of Christ. Includes photos and illustrations by Joni. In a split second on a hot July afternoon, a diving accident transformed the life of Joni Eareckson Tada forever. She went from being an active young woman to facing every day in a wheelchair. In this unforgettable autobiography, Joni reveals each step of her struggle to accept her disability and discover the meaning of her life. The hard-earned truths she discovers and the special ways God reveals his love are testimonies to faith's triumph over hardship and suffering. The new 25th Anniversary edition of this award-winning story--which has more than 3,000,000 copies in print in over 40 languages--will introduce a new generation of readers to the incredible greatness of God's power and mercy at work in those who fully give their hearts and lives to him. Joni has written an afterword in which she describes the events that have occurred in her life since the book's publication in 1976, including her marriage to Ken Tada and the expansion of her worldwide ministry to families affected by disability. Joni is now available for the first time in an unabridged audio version read by the author.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:45 -0400)

The author describes how her faith in God was challenged after a diving accident left her paralyzed at the age of seventeen.

Zondervan

An edition of this book was published by Zondervan.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,548,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible