The Angel in My Arms by Stefanie Sloane

The Angel in My Arms

by Stefanie Sloane

The Angel In My Arms is the second book in the Regency Rogues Series. After enjoying the first one, I was very excited to get started on this story. The Angel In My Arms is where we get to know the rogue "Marcus". Marcus has recently become injured so his commanding officer sends him to his country home, to investigate the smuggling operation there and that it might be related to Napoleon. In the beginning Marcus is doubtful that there is any real mission, but when a young boy ends up murdered, he ends up being drawn into a plot much bigger than himself. Sarah has settled in her life, knowing she won't marry and is content with that. When she keeps encountering Marcus, the Earl of Weston, she doesn't want to give into the visible attraction that is between them. As she becomes his partner in discovering the secrets behind the smuggling operation, she learns that the love she has for Marcus is about to be tested, and in ways she could never imagine. Will their love hold true or falter?

The Angel In My Arms is a fascinating tale of espionage and thrills and mystery. I personally love a good mystery, especially when it surprises me. So I was going into this story not expecting such a thrill as I came out finishing from. I did feel like it started a bit slow and took a little while to pick up pace, but once it did boy did I fly through this story. Espionage is one of my all time favorite sub genres to the Regency Era genre. So I love something that definitely gets me at the edge of my seat. Especially in the later half of the book did it really pick up speed and I could barely keep up with my eyes reading the pages as fast I could turn them. The romance is medium well developed, I felt like there could have been more, but I am not one to complain about a good mystery that engages the reader. Overall I would say this would be a satisfying and engaging read with heart stopping moments to put your teeth at edge, and your emotions on high alert!! Be warned you are about to embark on a thrilling adventure in the countryside of Dorset, England. ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 8, 2014 |
Oooohhhhh... right. I hate when I don't review books right after I read them. Anyway.

Okay, so at the end of the last book (not too much of a spoiler, I promise), Marcus MacInnes is injured (shot in the leg), and so in this book, he's recovering. The boss, Carmichael, knows that Marcus will go totally stir-crazy if he just lies around in bed until he's recuperated, so he sends him to investigate a smuggling rumor near Marcus's family home out in the country. I don't think Carmichael really thought much of anything was going down, but he was WRONG.

Okay, so Marcus is half Scottish (his dad) and half English (mom), and this country seat is his mom's family's. Well, the local folks don't like him because they hated his dad for SWOOPING in and STEALING his mom.... And boy, can those people hold a GUH-RUDGE.... ridiculous. Get over it, people. But I guess mob-mentality works long-term? So he has to try and overcome the people's preconceived notions of him in order to get information about the smuggling stuff (which apparently nearly EVERYONE in the area was involved in or at least knew about).

Sarah is the next-door neighbor. Next-estate neighbor? She's a feisty red-head (WHOA. BREAKING STEREOTYPES THERE! (Don't get me started.)) who always speaks her mind. Or something like that. Her mom is the LEADER of that mob I was talking about (and can I just say that mom is TSTL!), but her dad seems like a reasonable enough guy.

Anyway, Marcus and Sarah meet and he can't seem to stay away from her. He's the first eligible-type man she's met that hasn't run screaming when he got to know her a bit. AND he's good looking. AND she's REALLY attracted to him. She's kind of a pansy though... At first, she kept running away whenever he came around. I was like, "Ummmmm... Where are you going? GET BACK HERE, you doof-wad! He actually LIKES you, and you're going to screw it up!!"

I don't know what else to say except that she doesn't know he's a spy, and when her brother ends up over-his-head in the smuggling, some uncomfortable situations arise. Usually I complain that characters need to GET OVER issues, but in this case, I was like, "Really? You're not going to be upset that the guy was practically torturing your brother???? Ummmmmmm... OKAY THEN."

Overall, I thought the story was really interesting, intruiging, etc. I liked the hero and heroine a lot, and I thought they worked well together. Plus, it didn't have 50 typos like the last book did! ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
This book will keep you laughing the whole time! I loved the humor in it! In this Regency romance you meet Sarah and Marcus! Sarah is not your typical female. She is courageous, funny, intelligent and witty! She cuts past all of Marcus's defenses and makes him realize that maybe being loved for who you are isn't such a bad thing! Marcus is a half Scottish highlander and half English gentlemen.... Interesting mix huh? He is always trying to find his place. Around Sarah he can finally let down his guard but he is in the middle of a smuggling investigation so if he lets it down too much will it cost him his case? or worse Sarah? There is plenty of humor and action in this book and will keep you guessing the whole time! ( )
  mstx | May 22, 2012 |
When an injury puts Marcus MacInnes, Earl of Weston, on the sidelines he receives an assignment to return to his estranged home, Lulworth Cove, to investigate a smuggling ring involving Napoleon supporters. Quickly Marcus’ path crosses Sarah Tisdale and it becomes apparent that her brother, Nigel, is involved with the smuggling. When Nigel’s life is in danger Sarah and her family turns to Marcus for help. As he investigates Marcus finds himself reluctantly attracted to the honestly outspoken Sarah. The strength of the story is really Sarah’s character. Her awkwardness makes her stand apart from most heroines. ( )
  mlorio | Feb 4, 2012 |
The first book in this series I wasn't to sure about but after reading this one, this series has found its place in my "Will Buy and Continue" list. I am curious about this author and look forward to seeing how each story will progress and strengthen.

Pros:

There is excitement, danger and a good plot. You can relate with the characters.

On the down side:

The sex scenes are seriously lacking and unbelievable! The tension and build up is there between the characters but when it comes to follow thru and after you may as well as said "Insert plug A into slot B" and moved on.

3 1/2 STARS ( )
  historicalbooklover | Jul 15, 2011 |

While investigating a smuggling ring with ties to Napoleon, Young Corinthian agent Marcus MacInnes discovers that his case is linked to the family of Miss Sarah Tisdale, an unconventional beauty who drives him to distraction.

Stefanie Sloane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible