Against the Wind by Kat Martin
198959,376 (3.74)3

Against the Wind
2 Stars

Synopsis:
Following the murder of her abusive husband, Sarah Allen returns to her home town in Wyoming to start afresh. Unfortunately, trouble seems to follow, first when she rents a cottage from Jackson Raines, the man she rejected and humiliated in high school, and then when her husband’s enemies become convinced that she has something they want and are not above kidnapping Sarah’s daughter to get it.

Review:
Starts out really well but becomes exceedingly far-fetched as the book progresses. There are just too many individual storylines. In addition to the main plot, in which the heroine has not one but four men out to get her for different reasons, there are another two side stories. The first involves a tiresome romance between Sarah’s friend and Jackson’s foreman and the second centers on illegal logging, which is completely irrelevant and unrelated to the main story. Two of these various plot threads remain unresolved at the conclusion. Maybe they will come to an end in the next installment but quite frankly I’m not interested enough to find out.

The main characters are well fleshed out and have an intense chemistry but I did not feel the romance. While Jackson’s caring and sensitivity make him an especially appealing character, Sarah is annoying and distant. I found her need to keep secrets and her inability to trust Jackson with the truth irritating, and actually felt that he deserved better. I also thought that his initial resentment toward her for the way she treated him in high school was resolved far too easily with a rather weak apology.

In general, the book is well written but the flashback scenes in which Sarah remembers what happened to her husband are extremely repetitive, in fact, the author just copies them word for word each time with a few details added. There is also very little build-up of tension and suspense, and I kept waiting for the something significant to happen.

Overall, a very disappointing read and one of the few books that get my 2 star rating. I may not be reading any more in the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Good book that kept me interested to the end. Sarah has returned to Wind Canyon after the murder of her husband. She had left town in search of a better life and thought she found it, only to find that her husband was abusive and a crook. She has sold everything to pay his debts but is still being harassed by people who are looking for something he had. She has gotten a job with the local paper and rented a cottage for herself and her daughter on one of the local ranches. Then she discovers that the ranch belongs to Jackson Raines, the guy she treated so badly back in high school.

Jackson and his brothers were the local bad boys. Their parents were drunks and the boys were constantly in trouble. Jackson had left town after high school and ended up making a boatload of money. He then came home and bought a ranch. He's not at all happy to find Sarah on his ranch, as he still remembers his humiliation at her hands. She appears to have changed, but he's not inclined to trust her. However, when trouble follows her to Wyoming he steps in to help her.

I liked Jackson. He is the type of man that can't walk away from someone in trouble. Though he isn't sure whether he can fully trust her, he can see that Sarah is in bad trouble. I liked the way that he wants to help her find out who is after her and why. He is also still attracted to her which adds to his desire to help her. As he learns more about what her marriage was like he's impressed by the strength she showed to survive it. Though he hasn't had any plans to marry the more time he spends with Sarah and her daughter the more the idea appeals. I really liked the close relationship he has with his brothers.

Sarah was a little harder to like, at least at the beginning. Her treatment of Jackson in the past had been needlessly cruel which didn't set a good tone. I was a bit more sympathetic to her as more details of her marriage were revealed. It was a little hard to believe in her quick relationship with Jackson as I expected her marriage to have had more of an impact on her feelings about men. She comes to love him very much, but fears what her troubles could do to him so she tries to end things. She also has more issues from her marriage than she has told him about.

The mystery itself was pretty well done. Each time that Jackson and Sarah think that they have made progress something else is uncovered that leads them on another chase. There were a few things that went on that stretched believability a bit, but overall kept me involved. The final confrontation at the end was definitely intense and kept me wondering if everyone was going to come through it okay. There was a very interesting twist involving the identity of her husband's murderer that I really didn't see coming. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Mar 8, 2014 |
against the wind by kat martin, i am used to darker side of books by kat so when i first started reading this one
i was happily surprised to find out it's a family type novel. a woman returns home after her dead husband leaves
her in so much debt she can't recover. she brings her daughter back to where she grew up also and got a job at the local
newspaper. it's a wyoming setting which i touched on a few days ago with a different author and love the descriptions of
the scenery and nature. this appears af if it's going to be a series set in the same town, just differnt family members.
i love this type of series. just when they were what they thoughtt to be close to finding out who was at fault they uncovered
way too many more things about the companies her husband had swindled. love how this story shows how much one loves another
without words but by doing things for her and her daughter. ( )
  jbarr5 | Jul 25, 2013 |
Jackson and Sarah's story was as well-written and suspenseful as Gabe and Maddie's (Against the Fire). Martin does a good job with romantic suspense, giving readers a fun and thrilling ride. I'll be looking forward to Dev's story, Against the Law. ( )
  beckymmoe | Apr 20, 2013 |
My dominant emotion towards this book was "meh." The fourth time I checked to see if I was almost done, I decided it was time to cut things short.

This romance is supposed to have a strong suspense/mystery/action plot, centering around the criminal activities of the heroine's deceased husband. She has a strong "run away and hide" instinct, and given her history of abuse, that may be realistic. I found it much more of a stretch, however, when the hero and his brothers came on the scene and took over the investigation. While there weren't any scenes that were so over the top I didn't want to go one, there also wasn't enough plausible suspense development for this side of the story to keep things going.

As for the romance component, I didn't feel the chemistry between Jackson and Sarah. Despite the fact that the author gave them an atypical high school experience (I applaud Martin’s willingness to let the heroine be genuinely mean to someone), I never felt the plausible spark that brought them together. Sarah does plenty of “realizing” that tells us how she’s feeling, but I never had an emotional response back to her.

This book wasn’t poorly written, but the plot and chemistry just weren’t for me.
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |

Kat Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Garrett, JackReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Please do not combine this single title book with the 2-in-1 Bestselling Author book that contains the same story.

They were known as the "no-account Raines boys" but they've grown into successful, honorable men and everything they have, they've fought for tooth and nail. Now each of the three brothers has one last obstacle to overcome to claim what's eluding them: love.
Secrets don't stay buried long in cattle country. Sarah Allen, the beautiful girl who humiliated Jackson Raines in high school, is back in town. Not so long ago, she couldn't wait to leave Wind Canyon, Wyoming, in her dust. But, recently widowed, she has nowhere else to go and finds herself on Jackson's ranch. And despite everything, Jackson's finding himself reluctant to get rid of her.

Sarah brings her own kind of trouble, and he can't resist trouble. Enemies of her dead husband show up making threats, thinking she has something they're owed. They're not taking no for an answer, but what they will take is the one thing she has left—her daughter. Jackson's the only one who might be able to save little Holly and bring her home.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778329194, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:38 -0400)

When she is forced to return to the home town she hated, widow and single mother Sarah Allen turns to Jackson Raines, with whom she went to high school, for help when her late husband's criminal past comes back to haunt her.

Harlequin

An edition of this book was published by Harlequin.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,596,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible