Knowing God by J. I. Packer

Knowing God (original 1973; edition 1993)

by J. I. Packer

A new editon of this classic devotional text, studying the nature and character of God. Brought out to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the book's first publication, this edition incorporates a study guide and a new preface.
Member:Kirk1810
Title:Knowing God
Authors:J. I. Packer
Info:InterVarsity Press (1993), Edition: 20th anniversary ed, Paperback, 286 pages
Collections:The Nature Of God, Christian Growth / Discipleship

Knowing God by J. I. Packer (1973)

Recently added byWalter, scg1510, LCPC-Library, private library, CurtMattson, gabednar, Karsten00, BrenCon, ecamhi

English (33)  Spanish (1)  All languages (34)
What more can be said about Knowing God? Perhaps Packer’s greatest written contribution to the church, this study on the attributes of God will challenge believers to probe deeper into their own thinking about the Lord. In an era where critical thinking is almost marginalized in the church, this is a book that should be read and re-read by all. ( )
1 vote mgalyon789 | May 29, 2018 |
One of the top 50 books that have shaped evangelicals (Christianity Today, 2006) Platinum Book Award, Evangelical Christian Publishing Association For over 40 years, J. I. Packer's classic has been an important tool to help Christians around the world discover the wonder, the glory and the joy of knowing God. In 2006, Christianity Today voted this title one of the top 50 books that have shaped evangelicals. This edition is updated with Americanized language and spelling and a new preface by the author. Stemming from Packer's profound theological knowledge, Knowing God brings together two important facets of the Christian faith knowing about God and also knowing God through the context of a close relationship with the person of Jesus Christ. Written in an engaging and practical tone, this thought-provoking work seeks to transform and enrich the Christian understanding of God. Explaining both who God is and how we can relate to him, Packer divides his book into three sections: The first directs our attention to how and why we know God, the second to the attributes of God and the third to the benefits enjoyed by a those who know him intimately. This guide leads readers into a greater understanding of God while providing advice to gaining a closer relationship with him as a result." ( )
  cdiemert | Jul 30, 2017 |
I initially bought and read Knowing God almost 35 years ago. I was a new Christian, young and ignorant; but as is true of many young people, I had no idea just how ignorant I really was.

I don't think I can adequately express how thankful I am for Packer's book. It was a Godsend to me. It taught me not simply how to approach theology, but how to approach God himself. It shaped my heart and my mind in ways that I'm certain saved me from making even more mistakes than I did in my exuberant, youthful ignorance.

We do ourselves a tremendous disservice, and our souls incalculable damage, if we casually dismiss the study of God. Or, as Packer put it in chapter one:

"Disregard the study of God, and you sentence yourself to stumble and blunder through life blindfolded, as it were, with no sense of direction and no understanding of what surrounds you. This way you can waste your life and lose your soul."

Another thing I realized was that theology was a two-edged sword--having on the one hand immense value, and on the other potentially damning dangers. Packer went on to issue a warning in that first chapter that probably needs to be trumpeted more often (and more loudly) than it is.

"If we pursue theological knowledge for its own sake, it is bound to go bad on us. It will make us proud and conceited. The very greatness of the subject matter will intoxicate us, and we shall come to think of ourselves as a cut above other Christians because of our interest in it and grasp of it; and we shall look down on those whose theological ideas seem to us crude and inadequate and dismiss them as very poor specimens. For, as Paul told the conceited Corinthians, "Knowledge puffs up.... The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know" (1 Cor 8:1-2).

"To be preoccupied with getting theological knowledge as an end in itself, to approach Bible study with no higher a motive than a desire to know all the answers, is the direct route to a state of self-satisfied self-deception."

By the grace of God my goal is to do everything in my power to avoid self-satisfied self-deception. I know I haven't always succeeded, but I have no intention of giving up the fight.

Those are just a few of the reasons that I'm thankful for Knowing God. If I could make it required reading for every new Christian, I would. ( )
1 vote blw777 | Oct 25, 2016 |
Very helpful.
  david__clifford | Feb 3, 2016 |
Going to read with my small group on Sunday mornings, 10:30. Anyone can join us! ( )
  Graceenough | Jul 12, 2015 |
For Kit
On January 7th, 1855, the minister of New York Park Street Chapel, Southwark, opened his morning sermon as follows: It has been said by someone that 'the proper study of mankind is man.'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,117,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible