Knowing God by J. I. Packer

Knowing God (original 1973; edition 1993)

by J. I. Packer

Member:MRPClibrary
Title:Knowing God
Authors:J. I. Packer
Info:IVP Books (1993), Edition: 20th Anniversary Edition, Hardcover, 312 pages
Tags:Theology

Knowing God by J. I. Packer (1973)

Going to read with my small group on Sunday mornings, 10:30. Anyone can join us! ( )
  Graceenough | Jul 12, 2015 |
Life changer. I had a sensation in Ch 3 or 4 that I was drilling a well into 500 feet of rock, way down, and had just struck the most amazing water ever. After Packer, God is not small anymore. ( )
  ted_newell | Jun 20, 2015 |
I didn't read this book in college, like you and everyone else did. At some point, we ended up with two copies of this in our house, one of which was sent by a friend. So, it really needed to be read.
It's a great Scripture-rich read, but it's also quite readable with short chapters. Packer is simply focusing on the attributes of God, how we should respond to those attributes, and really just focusing on the sufficiency of God. He is a Reformed pastor who isn't making an apologetic case to non-believers, but instead encouraging believers to trust in God's Word. So, good familiarity with the Scripture is required before reading this book.

I got a good bit out of this book, it reads like a Piper book but not as deep. My only criticisms are that sometimes he ignores or is ignorant of scriptural context (I think he misinterprets Revelation 3:14-16 and others). The book is acclaimed by everyone, but many people who acclaim it probably still have crosses and other such imagery in their churches, which Packer clearly frowns on in the very first chapter. He also seems open to gifts of the Spirit including tongues, healings, etc. which is a view not widely shared by people who frequently quote him.

However, I could be wrong since I've not read any of his other works.

I give this 4.5 stars out of 5. ( )
  justindtapp | Jun 3, 2015 |
This is a classic for a reason. Clear and accessible but goes deep. This is one of those books that it might be worth revisiting every couple of years.

Enjoyed it. Benefited from it. Will come back to it again. ( )
  joshrskinner | Jul 30, 2014 |
This book, probably more than any other in the 20th century, has impacted Christians around the globe turning them back to an understanding of God that inspires awe and worship. It is a book you simply must read.
  Stormrev1 | Jul 20, 2014 |
For Kit
On January 7th, 1855, the minister of New York Park Street Chapel, Southwark, opened his morning sermon as follows: It has been said by someone that 'the proper study of mankind is man.'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 083081650X, Paperback)

A lifelong pursuit of knowing God should embody the Christian's existence. According to eminent theologian J.I. Packer, however, Christians have become enchanted by modern skepticism and have joined the "gigantic conspiracy of misdirection" by failing to put first things first. Knowing God aims to redirect our attention to the simple, deep truth that to know God is to love His Word. What began as a number of consecutive articles angled for "honest, no-nonsense readers who were fed up with facile Christian verbiage" in 1973, Knowing God has become a contemporary classic by creating "small studies out of great subjects." Each chapter is so specific in focus (covering topics such as the trinity, election, God's wrath, and God's sovereignty), that each succeeding chapter's theology seems to rival the next, until one's mind is so expanded that one's entire view of God has changed. Author Elizabeth Eliot wrote that amid the lofty content Packer "puts the hay where the sheep can reach it--plainly shows us ordinary folks what it means to know God." Having rescued us from the individual hunches of our ultra-tolerant theological age, Packer points the reader to the true character of God with his theological competence and compassionate heart. The lazy and faint-hearted should be warned about this timeless work--God is magnified, the sinner is humbled, and the saint encouraged. --Jill Heatherly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:01 -0400)

This book will aid you in actually knowing God, in building our relationship with Him, in drawing us closer to Him in love and worship.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,394,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible