Knowing God by J. I. Packer

Knowing God (original 1973; edition 1993)

by J. I. Packer

Member:MRPClibrary
Title:Knowing God
Authors:J. I. Packer
Info:IVP Books (1993), Edition: 20th Anniversary Edition, Hardcover, 312 pages
Tags:Theology

Knowing God by J. I. Packer (1973)

This is a classic for a reason. Clear and accessible but goes deep. This is one of those books that it might be worth revisiting every couple of years.

Enjoyed it. Benefited from it. Will come back to it again. ( )
  joshrskinner | Jul 30, 2014 |
This book, probably more than any other in the 20th century, has impacted Christians around the globe turning them back to an understanding of God that inspires awe and worship. It is a book you simply must read.
  Stormrev1 | Jul 20, 2014 |
Read along side of Tozer's A Knowledge of the Holy. ( )
  KirkLowery | Mar 4, 2014 |
I have meant to read this book for years, and before I had gotten many chapters into it, I found myself wishing I had encountered it at an earlier stage in my life. It is one of the most helpful, elegantly written, biblically reasoned books on the Christian life I have read. I found the material on images/the Second Commandment, the Holy Spirit, and God's guidance to be especially helpful. I would unhesitatingly recommend this book to any new or seasoned Christian, or to someone curious what it's all about. ( )
  LudieGrace | Dec 4, 2013 |
Probably the very first book I read that drew my attention to our magnificent God and wouldn't let me turn away. It was the beginning of a joyous journey. ( )
  Garrett_Lee | Jun 3, 2013 |
For Kit
On January 7th, 1855, the minister of New York Park Street Chapel, Southwark, opened his morning sermon as follows: It has been said by someone that 'the proper study of mankind is man.'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 083081650X, Paperback)

A lifelong pursuit of knowing God should embody the Christian's existence. According to eminent theologian J.I. Packer, however, Christians have become enchanted by modern skepticism and have joined the "gigantic conspiracy of misdirection" by failing to put first things first. Knowing God aims to redirect our attention to the simple, deep truth that to know God is to love His Word. What began as a number of consecutive articles angled for "honest, no-nonsense readers who were fed up with facile Christian verbiage" in 1973, Knowing God has become a contemporary classic by creating "small studies out of great subjects." Each chapter is so specific in focus (covering topics such as the trinity, election, God's wrath, and God's sovereignty), that each succeeding chapter's theology seems to rival the next, until one's mind is so expanded that one's entire view of God has changed. Author Elizabeth Eliot wrote that amid the lofty content Packer "puts the hay where the sheep can reach it--plainly shows us ordinary folks what it means to know God." Having rescued us from the individual hunches of our ultra-tolerant theological age, Packer points the reader to the true character of God with his theological competence and compassionate heart. The lazy and faint-hearted should be warned about this timeless work--God is magnified, the sinner is humbled, and the saint encouraged. --Jill Heatherly

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:54 -0400)

This book will aid you in actually knowing God, in building our relationship with Him, in drawing us closer to Him in love and worship.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,730,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible