Spinster Goose: Twisted Rhymes for Naughty…

Spinster Goose: Twisted Rhymes for Naughty Children

by Lisa Wheeler

A collection of poems describing all the different naughty children at Spinster Goose's school for "uncouth youth."
  Emackay24 | Mar 16, 2015 |
This book highlights the unusual punishments that Mother Goose's sister, Spinster, delivers to naughty children. You will encounter Ba Ba Black Sheep who loves to swear, you will be sick and tired of Peas Porridge, and Mary Mary who is not only quite contrary, she interrupts, along with many other familiar characters.
  BrandiMichelle | Apr 4, 2014 |
There is power in being a naughty child! In poetry sake's at least. I never have encountered this type of poetry for the elementary reader. A brilliant twist and good 'dark' side of Mother Goose. I like how the text and modern interpretations of traditional tales are contrasted by bright and obvious white or empty space. The good versus bad theme and allowing young minds to enjoy the whole framework of poetry is essential. I love this book and it is part of my personal library and future classroom curriculum. What makes classic literature more relevant and relatable is the alternative or opposite that can be healthily discussed. Bravo for this book.
  cpwpsu | Mar 16, 2014 |
I found this book to be hilarious, somewhat twisted and dark, cleverly written, and thoroughly entertaining. I shared this book with a group of fourth graders, and they all looked at me as though I were the Spinster Goose who may have something not-so-pleasant in store for them if they were to misbehave. I found their reaction to be just as hilarious as the poems in this collection! The illustrations reminded me of those by Tim Burton, with whimsical yet dark characters rendered with soft edges and sly expressions. This book, which is sort of like the opposite of Mother Goose, and tells what happened to those children that Mother Goose couldn't handle, could be used in a classroom with older elementary or even middle school students in a discussion about behavior, consequences, or to compare with the more classic Mother Goose rhymes. ( )
  SweetBeeBecky | Dec 3, 2013 |
I think it is a great book to discipline children without having them be afraid of the teachers. The rhymes and the rhythm is terrific and storyline is great as well. I think the children will enjoy this, without being too frightened!
  kurumy | Nov 26, 2013 |

For children that are simply too naughty for Mother Goose to handle, her sister Spinster Goose knows just how to deal with these uncouth urchins. Fans of Mother Goose are sure to delight in these devilishly twisted alternatives to classic rhymes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,784,712 books! | Top bar: Always visible