Bloodlines by Richelle Mead
1,8141155,778 (4.12)1 / 30

**Review from July 22nd 2012**
I actually first read this book last year. Unfortunately, I either wasn't a member of goodreads at the time or I simply didn't review it.
I'm glad this is the time I'm reviewing it, though, cuz the first time I read it I didn't notice the thing with Trey.

Sydney is kind of adorable. She just is. She’s so scared of vampires, yet her best friend is Rose and, well, you know, she pretty much hangs out with vampires every day.
Also, she’s so smart about everything but people. She’s chock-full of adorable-ness.

So, the books starts out with Sydney being terrified that she’s being sent to re-education, otherwise known as brainwashing for Alchemists.
She ends up getting sent to Palm Springs to be part of a team working to hide Jill Dragomir/Mastrano, otherwise known as Jailbait, whom I’m sure we all remember from VA.
Eddie is there (yay, Eddie!) as well as Adrian (words can not convey how happy I am about his presence.)
There’s also this Moroi named Clarence Donahue, and he’s a couple crayons short of 24-pack.
Here’s a quote:

“She was killed.” He said. There was a dramatic pause. “By vampire hunters.”
“I’m sorry, by what?” I asked, certain I’d misheard.
“Vampire hunters.” Clarence repeated.

Now, I’m not gonna say anything more on that quote lest I give anything away.
But so, Sydney, Eddie and Jill are enrolled in a private school, Amberwood Prep, as a big family. There’s some dude named Micah who bears an eerie resemblance to our dearly departed friend Mason Ashwood.
Most of this book consists of petty high-school type drama, but it’s good.
Now, I’m really trying not to give anything away, but I do have a couple more things to say before launching into my favorite quotes from the book.
To those of you who will be wondering about it until the secret is revealed on page 355: It’s about Carly. And that’s not a spoiler, that’s a hint.
Also, this next thing isn’t really a spoiler either, but it’s only for those who have already read the book: who here is willing to bet Trey is a vampire hunter? I read the part at the fashion show where Sydney teased him about his sun tattoo, and he acted weird and I remembered Clarence saying something about vampire hunters worshiping the sun and then something in my mind clicked and I’m almost sure he’s a vampire hunter. Thoughts? (comment below, please)
Now, for my fave quotes:

Had I really thought he was a work of art earlier? More like a piece of work.

Three guesses who Sydney’s talking about. That’s right, Adrian. And he IS a work of art. He’s a misunderstood work of art.

It didn’t matter that people expected everything of me and nothing of him. We were still the same, both of us constantly trying to break out of the lines that others had defined for us and be our own person. Adrian Iashkov—flippant, vampire party boy—was more like me than anyone else I knew.

If that right there isn’t proof that they HAVE to be together, than I don’t now what is.

“You look to pretty to be useful.”

Those words so perfectly describe my Adrian I can not even begin to tell you, other than, of course, what Adrian said in response: “Truer words were never spoken,”

And with that, I bid adieu, off to read the Golden Lily.

Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Bloodlines suffers in contrast to the Vampire Academy books. So much so that I had to make a distinct effort to separate them in my mind while reading. That being said, I liked Sydney well enough to keep reading. Watching her change from the Sydney we first met, the "perfect" Alchemist, to someone who questions the beliefs she's been taught is fascinating. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
It was a great book! LOVE Sydrian ( )
  marie2830 | Sep 2, 2018 |
3.8 STARS
I was super excited to start this series because I loved [b:Vampire Academy|18660669|Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)|Richelle Mead|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1381459853s/18660669.jpg|335933] series. Obviously I wish it was focused on Lissa and Rose (and Dimitri FTW), but I understand that this is a branch out of that series. I wished that there had been more action in this book, just because the previous books in this "world" were completely action packed. I am curious to see what happens with Sydney and if her family will ever find out some of the truths that she has been hiding. I'm also curious to see if she's ever going to actually have a love interest (My vote is for Adrian!).

Would I recommend? -- If you were a fan of the original series and want to read more about their world, then yes! ( )
  itswawawhitney | Jun 19, 2018 |
Good! ( )
  EdenSteffey | Mar 14, 2018 |
I couldn't breathe.

Sydney's entangled
Again in vampy affairs.
And look: Adrian!

(TheBooknerd)

When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,528,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible