Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead by…

Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead (2011)

by Sara Gran

Series: Claire DeWitt (1)

5716524,995 (3.56)1 / 78
    New Orleans Beat by Julie Smith (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Zwei sehr verschiedene Krimis, die jeweils in New Orleans spielen.

English (66)  German (1)  All languages (67)
I don’t know if anyone else has written a novel about Katrina. But if someone has, City of the Dead is the standard they have to live up to.

To read my review please visit https://anzlitlovers.com/2018/01/31/city-of-the-dead-a-claire-dewitt-mystery-by-sara-gran-bookreview/ ( )
  anzlitlovers | Jan 30, 2018 |
Detective Claire DeWitt returns to New Orleans to track down a man who went missing during Hurricane Katrina.

I enjoyed Claire's distinctive narrative voice and her unusual approach to detection. Rather than follow logic, she follows instinct, based on synchronicity, dreams, visions, and the obscure methods of a French detective Sillette. This story, set in New Orleans a little over a year after Katrina, is also appropriately dreamlike, as the clues take Claire to various abandoned and storm-ravaged areas of the city, as well as into memories of her past. While I didn't find the mystery itself all that surprising, I enjoyed the journey of getting to the solution very much. Along the way, Gran had some interesting observations to make about the nature of the detective, as well as about guilt and atonement. ( )
  sturlington | Jul 1, 2017 |
I was having lunch in the graduate lounge upstairs and was joined by two girls in my program who were talking Readers Advisory, and we got into genre, the faults and virtues of it, and this book came up as a mystery novel that one of the girls had really liked. Although I had a big Agatha Christie phase when I was young--swapping books back and forth with my best friend, which had already been swapped back and forth between our moms--I don't generally read a lot of mysteries. Books that have murders or mysteries in them, sure, but something you identify first and foremost as a mystery novel? I'd been assured that the main character, Claire DeWitt, is what made the book so good. Complex and hard-drinking, the way that any good detective should be.

Claire DeWitt is a great character to follow through a mystery, especially as we get into her past and the sort of difficult and contradictory circumstances she grew up in. She's definitely not poor and systemically wronged by the structure of poverty the way that many of the New Orleans characters she meets are, but I found myself curious about her weird family upbringing and the unconventional toxicity of it. Even better than Claire DeWitt was exploring New Orleans after Katrina, seeing all these sides of the city and the way that people talk about the flooding and about the justice system there, and how this contrasts with the tourist side of New Orleans.

It was a good mystery with some good false leads. I had my suspicions about where things were going and made a few accurate predictions, but hadn't seen everything. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Excellent reading. Raymond Chandler meets Borges. Sartre throws the I Ching ( )
1 vote TCBard | Dec 31, 2016 |
Enjoyed it! The protagonist is an anti-heroine, very flawed and taken to using drugs and unconventional methods of getting the job done - but, she does get the job done. I enjoy anti-heroines much better than goody-goodie heroines, so this series will be a "win" for me! ( )
  denisemnola | Aug 25, 2016 |

Gran, Saraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Monda, CarolReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"It's my Uncle."

Claire DeWitt is not your average private investigator. She has brilliant deductive skills and is an ace at discovering evidence. But Claire also uses her dreams, omens, and mind-expanding herbs to help her solve mysteries, and relies on Détection — the only book published by the late, great, and mysterious French detective Jacques Silette.

The tattooed, pot-smoking Claire has just arrived in post-Katrina New Orleans, the city she’s avoided since her mentor, Silette’s student Constance Darling, was murdered there. Claire is investigating the disappearance of Vic Willing, a prosecutor known for winning convictions in a homicide- plagued city. Has an angry criminal enacted revenge on Vic? Or did he use the storm as a means to disappear? Claire follows the clues, finding old friends and making new enemies — foremost among them Andray Fairview, a young gang member who just might hold the key to the mystery.

Littered with memories of Claire’s years as a girl detective in 1980s Brooklyn, Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead is a knockout start to a bracingly original new series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:45 -0400)

Augmenting her brilliant deductive skills with dream analysis, marijuana, and the written work of a mysterious French detective, private investigator Claire DeWitt reluctantly returns to post-Katrina New Orleans to solve the disappearance of an unpopularprosecutor.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sara Gran's book Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead - AUDIO EDITION was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,626,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible