Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead by…

Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead (2011)

by Sara Gran

Series: Claire DeWitt (1)

5156519,696 (3.55)1 / 74
    New Orleans Beat by Julie Smith (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Zwei sehr verschiedene Krimis, die jeweils in New Orleans spielen.

English (66)  German (1)  All (67)
A fantastic book launching a new mystery series featuring Claire deWitt who solves her mysteries with intuition, drug use, and dream interpretation, along with the usual intellectual deduction. I thought Claire was an intriguing and complex protagonist. Her wisely cynical worldview - which she still keeps open to magical ways of thinking - is an appropriate companion for the reader through the broken city of New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The mystery - and the characters Claire meets along the way of solving it - are involving and complex. The voice is original. It's even quite funny sometimes -- I got a kick out of Claire going on and on about some detection method she was sure would work and then having it fail immediately upon application. I really loved (being a rare book person) that Claire was so deeply influenced by a mysterious mid-century book about detection from an elusive French private eye. The quotes from that book-within-a-book - and Claire's responses to it - were a delightful part about reading City of the Dead. I'm very excited for book two!
  wintersdoor | Jul 2, 2017 |
Detective Claire DeWitt returns to New Orleans to track down a man who went missing during Hurricane Katrina.

I enjoyed Claire's distinctive narrative voice and her unusual approach to detection. Rather than follow logic, she follows instinct, based on synchronicity, dreams, visions, and the obscure methods of a French detective Sillette. This story, set in New Orleans a little over a year after Katrina, is also appropriately dreamlike, as the clues take Claire to various abandoned and storm-ravaged areas of the city, as well as into memories of her past. While I didn't find the mystery itself all that surprising, I enjoyed the journey of getting to the solution very much. Along the way, Gran had some interesting observations to make about the nature of the detective, as well as about guilt and atonement. ( )
  sturlington | Jul 1, 2017 |
I was having lunch in the graduate lounge upstairs and was joined by two girls in my program who were talking Readers Advisory, and we got into genre, the faults and virtues of it, and this book came up as a mystery novel that one of the girls had really liked. Although I had a big Agatha Christie phase when I was young--swapping books back and forth with my best friend, which had already been swapped back and forth between our moms--I don't generally read a lot of mysteries. Books that have murders or mysteries in them, sure, but something you identify first and foremost as a mystery novel? I'd been assured that the main character, Claire DeWitt, is what made the book so good. Complex and hard-drinking, the way that any good detective should be.

Claire DeWitt is a great character to follow through a mystery, especially as we get into her past and the sort of difficult and contradictory circumstances she grew up in. She's definitely not poor and systemically wronged by the structure of poverty the way that many of the New Orleans characters she meets are, but I found myself curious about her weird family upbringing and the unconventional toxicity of it. Even better than Claire DeWitt was exploring New Orleans after Katrina, seeing all these sides of the city and the way that people talk about the flooding and about the justice system there, and how this contrasts with the tourist side of New Orleans.

It was a good mystery with some good false leads. I had my suspicions about where things were going and made a few accurate predictions, but hadn't seen everything. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Excellent reading. Raymond Chandler meets Borges. Sartre throws the I Ching ( )
  TCBard | Dec 31, 2016 |
Enjoyed it! The protagonist is an anti-heroine, very flawed and taken to using drugs and unconventional methods of getting the job done - but, she does get the job done. I enjoy anti-heroines much better than goody-goodie heroines, so this series will be a "win" for me! ( )
  denisemnola | Aug 25, 2016 |

Sara Granprimary authorall editionscalculated
Monda, CarolReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"It's my Uncle."

Claire DeWitt is not your average private investigator. She has brilliant deductive skills and is an ace at discovering evidence. But Claire also uses her dreams, omens, and mind-expanding herbs to help her solve mysteries, and relies on Détection — the only book published by the late, great, and mysterious French detective Jacques Silette.

The tattooed, pot-smoking Claire has just arrived in post-Katrina New Orleans, the city she’s avoided since her mentor, Silette’s student Constance Darling, was murdered there. Claire is investigating the disappearance of Vic Willing, a prosecutor known for winning convictions in a homicide- plagued city. Has an angry criminal enacted revenge on Vic? Or did he use the storm as a means to disappear? Claire follows the clues, finding old friends and making new enemies — foremost among them Andray Fairview, a young gang member who just might hold the key to the mystery.

Littered with memories of Claire’s years as a girl detective in 1980s Brooklyn, Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead is a knockout start to a bracingly original new series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:45 -0400)

Augmenting her brilliant deductive skills with dream analysis, marijuana, and the written work of a mysterious French detective, private investigator Claire DeWitt reluctantly returns to post-Katrina New Orleans to solve the disappearance of an unpopularprosecutor.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sara Gran's book Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead - AUDIO EDITION was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,165,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible