The Name of the Star (The Shades of London)…

The Name of the Star (The Shades of London) (edition 2011)

by Maureen Johnson

Member:Librarianlacey
Title:The Name of the Star (The Shades of London)
Authors:Maureen Johnson
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:to-read

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (kaledrina)
    Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender (HollyMS)
    Ruined by Paula Morris (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Both are YA ghost stories set in the present but featuring stories that are linked to the past.
    Les étranges soeurs Wilcox, Tome 1 : Les vampires de Londres by Fabrice Colin (Aleana)
    Pastworld by Ian Beck (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: For those interested in different takes on Jack the Ripper. Pastworld is a thriller set in a dystopian future where London has been turned into a Victorian-era theme park - complete with an eerie serial killer. Name of the Star is a modern/paranormal take on a new set of Jack the Ripper murders as experienced by an American teen studying abroad in Whitechapel.… (more)

I'm easily frightened so I don't think it was wise for me to read this book so late at night. In spite of the fear that followed my reading sessions before I laid down to sleep, I really enjoyed the book. I feel that the Maureen Johnson has a certain aspect of her writing that allows readers to run through it smoothly, no matter the subject matter. I'm very excited to read the next book in the series! Overall, 4.5 stars! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
Update: Finished. *Really* liked it. Johnson's main story starts out like a typical boarding school novel, but then WHAM it's not. And guess what? No vamps! Winding the mythology of Jack the Ripper with current time murder and normal boarding school shenanigans, Johnson goes a little "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" on us and the result is really, really good.

about 1/2 way through.
liking it so far. after all I've said about being "done" with series, I'm very glad there will be more to this one. I like how things, while getting a bit other-worldly, aren't going out of control. I'm holding my breath that there won't suddenly be witches, werewolves, vampires, and curses... ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
I found this book to be quiet enjoyable and am looking forward to reading the next in the series. I found it a little slow at some points and that it was very quick to end but the overall story was enjoyable. I hope in the following books it explains the plot a little more. ( )
  Sammi.Smith | Mar 19, 2018 |
addictive. sherlock holmes meets Louisiana voodoo and ghost busters and ghost whisperer in a haunting tale ( )
  murphyrules | Feb 23, 2018 |
This is only the second book I’ve read by Maureen Johnson. The first being The Bermudez Triangle. I enjoyed that book but it wasn’t the best. It made me want to read more of her books but not right away. This one however, I loved. I seriously loved everything about it.

Well maybe not everything. I’m not sure how I feel about the killer. I was just a tiny bit disappointed in that but I guess it makes sense.

This time I do want to read more by her and soon. I need to get my hands on book two, The Madness Underneath. ( )
  TheTreeReader | Jan 15, 2018 |
For Amsler. Thanks for the milk.
The eyes of London were watching Claire Jenkins.

The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.

Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.

Rory, of Boueuxlieu, Louisiana, is spending a year at a London boarding school when she witnesses a murder by a Jack the Ripper copycat and becomes involved with the very unusual investigation.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Maureen Johnson's book The Name of the Star was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,807,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible