The Name of the Star (Shades of London) by…

The Name of the Star (Shades of London) (edition 2011)

by Maureen Johnson

1,2841356,108 (4)35
Member:calmclam
Title:The Name of the Star (Shades of London)
Authors:Maureen Johnson
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:boarding school, paranormal, ghosts, urban fantasy

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (kaledrina)
    Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender (Hollerama)
    Ruined by Paula Morris (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both are YA ghost stories set in the present but featuring stories that are linked to the past.
    Les étranges soeurs Wilcox, Tome 1 : Les vampires de Londres by Fabrice Colin (Aleana)
    Pastworld by Ian Beck (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: For those interested in different takes on Jack the Ripper. Pastworld is a thriller set in a dystopian future where London has been turned into a Victorian-era theme park - complete with an eerie serial killer. Name of the Star is a modern/paranormal take on a new set of Jack the Ripper murders as experienced by an American teen studying abroad in Whitechapel.… (more)

This was such a good read! Most of the way through, it dawned on me that I was reading a ghost story, but that's totally not how it started. The narrator's voice and intelligent teenage humor were genuine, and I was drawn in. Loved the details of history, of the Underground, of London's Whitechapel area, of the different characters the MC encounters... great stuff! ( )
  MargaretPinardAuthor | May 23, 2015 |
EHRMEGHEEEEERD it is mara dyer-ish I LOVE IT. ( )
  englisherna | Apr 8, 2015 |
Great book, loved the ending and I cannot wait for the next one in the series! ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
This is only the second book I’ve read by Maureen Johnson. The first being The Bermudez Triangle. I enjoyed that book but it wasn’t the best. It made me want to read more of her books but not right away. This one however, I loved. I seriously loved everything about it.

Well maybe not everything. I’m not sure how I feel about the killer. I was just a tiny bit disappointed in that but I guess it makes sense.

This time I do want to read more by her and soon. I need to get my hands on book two, The Madness Underneath.

Note: This is an older review. So I don’t feel like I can get more into what I liked. Maybe someday I will re-read The Name of the Star and do a better review. I will probably re-read it when I get books two and three. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | Mar 8, 2015 |
I'm interested in the notorious killer named Jack the Ripper and I have studied up on him for a while now. When I heard that this book had a similar tie to Jack the Ripper, I instantly picked it up and I'm glad I have. I do not regret reading this book and I do plan on picking up the next book in the series!

This book was very interesting. The atmosphere felt like you really were in rainy ol' England. What got me hooked was not only the great detail and the supernatural twists, but near the middle where our heroine gained something special! ( )
  SirenRemi | Jan 28, 2015 |
For Amsler. Thanks for the milk.
The eyes of London were watching Claire Jenkins.

The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.

Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.

Rory, of Boueuxlieu, Louisiana, is spending a year at a London boarding school when she witnesses a murder by a Jack the Ripper copycat and becomes involved with the very unusual investigation.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,851,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible