The Name of the Star (Shades of London) by…

The Name of the Star (Shades of London) (edition 2011)

by Maureen Johnson

Member:calmclam
Title:The Name of the Star (Shades of London)
Authors:Maureen Johnson
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:boarding school, paranormal, ghosts, urban fantasy

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (kaledrina)
    Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender (Hollerama)
    Ruined by Paula Morris (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both are YA ghost stories set in the present but featuring stories that are linked to the past.
    Les étranges soeurs Wilcox, Tome 1 : Les vampires de Londres by Fabrice Colin (Aleana)
    Pastworld by Ian Beck (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: For those interested in different takes on Jack the Ripper. Pastworld is a thriller set in a dystopian future where London has been turned into a Victorian-era theme park - complete with an eerie serial killer. Name of the Star is a modern/paranormal take on a new set of Jack the Ripper murders as experienced by an American teen studying abroad in Whitechapel.… (more)

My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | May 27, 2016 |
It felt like a mash-up of things I liked in other ghost stories and books about people with abilities. It's a bit funny that the MC had her ability activated when she was choking. Here she was hacking a piece of meat one moment and the next second, she was seeing ghosts. ( )
  Ayanami_Faerudo | Mar 27, 2016 |
[Thursday, ‎March ‎08, ‎2012] I just begun this book yesterday night reached chapter 10, I already watched a horror movie (I don't like horror movies) and now I suspect that ghosts are involved in this book, basically I couldn't sleep until two or three in the morning, I freaked myself out!! But the book is actually capturing all my attention, I need to research Jack the Ripper.

[Saturday, ‎January ‎26, ‎2013] The ending was so cool... it left an opening to the next book. This book is un-put-down-able good! With so many goosebumps creepy moments! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
A decent boarding school fic that was, oddly enough, made remarkably less interesting by the introduction of a ghost plot. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

★ ★ ★

This was a fun YA paranormal mystery. I enjoyed the storyline and found the beginning and middle part quite suspenseful. However, The last 1/3 of the book was less than surprising for me. It was a quick read. However, I did find the characters to be fairly flat and actually enjoyed the secondary characters (such as Jo and Alistair) more than many of the main characters -which seemed to come and go into the storyline with little difference. I will probably read the next in the series though whenever it is released. ( )
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
For Amsler. Thanks for the milk.
The eyes of London were watching Claire Jenkins.

The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.

Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.

Rory, of Boueuxlieu, Louisiana, is spending a year at a London boarding school when she witnesses a murder by a Jack the Ripper copycat and becomes involved with the very unusual investigation.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,538,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible