The Name of the Star (Shades of London) by…

The Name of the Star (Shades of London) (edition 2011)

by Maureen Johnson

Member:mugglelibrarian
Title:The Name of the Star (Shades of London)
Authors:Maureen Johnson
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Webquest List

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (kaledrina)
    Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender (Hollerama)
    Ruined by Paula Morris (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both are YA ghost stories set in the present but featuring stories that are linked to the past.
    Les étranges soeurs Wilcox, Tome 1 : Les vampires de Londres by Fabrice Colin (Aleana)
    Pastworld by Ian Beck (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: For those interested in different takes on Jack the Ripper. Pastworld is a thriller set in a dystopian future where London has been turned into a Victorian-era theme park - complete with an eerie serial killer. Name of the Star is a modern/paranormal take on a new set of Jack the Ripper murders as experienced by an American teen studying abroad in Whitechapel.… (more)

With her parents temporarily teaching American law at an English university, Aurora (Rory) has enrolled at Wexford, a private school in London. Just as she is getting acclimated to the school, her roommates and English customs at the start of the school year, the city is stunned by a murder. The victim was killed in the same location and in the same manner as Jack the Ripper's first victim in 1888. When several more copycat murders are committed over the course of the next month, each occurring on the same day, in a similar location and by a comparable method as those from the tragic events of 1888, London goes into panic mode while also simultaneously welcoming the media spectacle. After discovering that she has seen a strange-looking man who was invisible to everyone else, Rory begins to fear for what role she may play in the mystery.

The Name of the Star was both charming and engaging, though I was initially dubious about the subject matter, not being especially enthusiastic about ghosts or the supernatural. I really enjoyed the authentic feel of Rory's first-person narrative from a teenage perspective in the way that the teenagers in Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor & Park rang slightly false. Looking forward to the sequel. ( )
  ryner | Jun 29, 2014 |
Oh I loved it!
Set in a British boarding school, with a spooky touch of Jack the Ripper... Really interesting to see how the threat of a Ripper style killer would play out in the YouTube and laptop age.

The supernatural elements took a while to grow on me, but once I bought in, I was in.
Can I have a sequel? Please? ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
Posted at Novel Reveries

I love Jack the Ripper related stories, so when I started reading The Name of the Star, I knew I was in for a treat. I wasn't disappointed! It sets off with Rory moving from her hometown in Louisiana to London to attend school while her parents live in Bristol on some new jobs they got. Arriving right in the beginning of a mysterious murder investigation that seems eerily similar to the Whitechapel murders of Jack the Ripper. Her culture shock contributed towards her awkwardness and made her personality more interesting as she observed her new surroundings.

"Even Jack the Ripper himself had reappeared as part of the greeting committee." (28)

This book was different in the way that Jack the Ripper was portrayed and it created a great paranormal aspect to the mysterious deaths taking place in London. This was definitely an uncomplicated read and it seemed more like a middle-grade book than a young adult one, but I still liked the simplicity of it and how it was hard to put down.

"There was no escaping the Ripper. He was everywhere." (253)

Although there seemed to be a lot of clichés and stereotypical references, there were also a lot of historical references which shows the author did her research on this matter. She uses this research and creates a grand mystery all of her own as she brings us to knowledge of the secret force called the Shades of London.

First Line:"The eyes of London were watching Claire Jenkins." (1)
Last Line:"That was not an a question I was prepared to answer." (372)
--------------
Quotes:

"The Autumn of 1888 was known as the Autumn of Terror. Jack the Ripper was out there somewhere, in the fog, waiting with his knife. He could strike anywhere, at any time. The thing about autumn this year was that everyone knew precisely when the Ripper was going to strike, if he kept up with the schedule he'd set so far." (81)

"'Fear can't hurt you,' she said. 'When it washes over you, give it no power. It's a snake with no venom. Remember that. That knowledge can save you.'" (260)

"In the distance, I could hear the neer-ner-neer-nerneerner of sirens, the police cars chasing a man they could never see, never catch." (307)
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Posted at Novel Reveries

"There was no escaping the Ripper. He was everywhere." (253)

First Line:"The eyes of London were watching Claire Jenkins." (1)
Last Line:"That was not an a question I was prepared to answer." (372)
--------------
Quotes:

Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Oh I loved it!

Can I have a sequel? Please? ( )
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
For Amsler. Thanks for the milk.
The eyes of London were watching Claire Jenkins.

The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.

Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.

Rory, of Boueuxlieu, Louisiana, is spending a year at a London boarding school when she witnesses a murder by a Jack the Ripper copycat and becomes involved with the very unusual investigation.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible