The Name of the Star (Shades of London) by…

The Name of the Star (Shades of London) (edition 2011)

by Maureen Johnson

Member:mugglelibrarian
Title:The Name of the Star (Shades of London)
Authors:Maureen Johnson
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Webquest List

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (kaledrina)
    Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender (Hollerama)
    Ruined by Paula Morris (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both are YA ghost stories set in the present but featuring stories that are linked to the past.
    Les étranges soeurs Wilcox, Tome 1 : Les vampires de Londres by Fabrice Colin (Aleana)
    Pastworld by Ian Beck (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: For those interested in different takes on Jack the Ripper. Pastworld is a thriller set in a dystopian future where London has been turned into a Victorian-era theme park - complete with an eerie serial killer. Name of the Star is a modern/paranormal take on a new set of Jack the Ripper murders as experienced by an American teen studying abroad in Whitechapel.… (more)

I always read "adult" books must slower than "young adult" ones. The pacing is different. The sentence structure takes just a little longer to comprehend. Usually there are fewer jokes. Having just read (the incredibly slow for me) "The Magicians" this book swept past me in mere hours. I wish it would have lasted just a little longer (good thing there's a sequel!). Maybe it's because I had just read the Magicians, where the major conflict of the book doesn't really get started until about halfway through, but I found this book fairly straightforward and predictable.

The plot got started right away: someone is reenacting Jack the Ripper killings in modern day London, starting just as the protagonist, Rory, arrives at boarding school in London (she's from Louisiana). Who's the killer? How can Rory survive culture shock and still get good grades at this competitive school? And why can she see people no one else can?

It's a delightful mix of English culture seen through the eyes of an American teenager, with some London history thrown into the mix. I love Maureen Johnson's dry humor and outsider observations of English culture (as an Anglophile, it's sometimes good to take a step back and see how the things I love are actually a little weird.) Like most people, I have a passing knowledge of Jack the Ripper, and this book made me go to wikipedia for more information. I even want to go read history books now or something. My main complaint is that the plot was predictable, but somehow in the end, I didn't see "Jack the Ripper"'s motivations as logical at all. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
Check out this review,and others like it on my blog http://acascadeofbooks.blogspot.co.uk/

I have followed Maureen Johnson on twitter for a little while now, without really realising that I owned one of her books and hadn't read it yet. You can follow her here if you want!!

When I found the book on my TBR pile I dived into it excitedly. The fact that the novel is set in London and features Jack the Ripper just further cemented how cool Maureen Johnson is.
The plot for this novel revolves around our main character Rory, who is an American coming to an English boarding school. I really enjoyed the boarding school element, it all seemed very quaint and Mallory Towers-ish to me! I also enjoyed how some of Rory's American-isms were met with confusion from many of her fellow students.
It becomes quickly obvious that this is more than a normal murder mystery novel when Rory discovers she can see people that no one else can. Although the ending was a tad predictable, overall I really enjoyed the plot, it had some nice twists and the Jack the Ripper theme appealed to my macabre interest in all things gruesome!
I felt that I could really hear Rory's voice throughout this novel, and the fact that her American accent stood out so much in England. I also enjoyed some of the things the other students said, although some were a little cliché, it was nice to see some British characters in YA.
There also wasn't too much romance in this novel, instead of the relationships taking centre stage, they were pushed to the back to allow for a better and more developed plot.
Overall I really enjoyed this novel, and I really want to pick up some more of Maureen Johnson's novels if they are anywhere as good as this one was! ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
Fantastic. Starts off as a book about boarding school the "thriller" and "supernatural" elements creep up gradually making this a good crossover book even if someone isn't specifically looking for this genre. Those who liked Holly Black or Maggie Stiefvater will dig this. love the touch of Rory's Louisiana roots. ( )
  mbrandone | Aug 27, 2016 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | May 27, 2016 |
It felt like a mash-up of things I liked in other ghost stories and books about people with abilities. It's a bit funny that the MC had her ability activated when she was choking. Here she was hacking a piece of meat one moment and the next second, she was seeing ghosts. ( )
  Ayanami_Faerudo | Mar 27, 2016 |
For Amsler. Thanks for the milk.
The eyes of London were watching Claire Jenkins.

The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.

Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.

Rory, of Boueuxlieu, Louisiana, is spending a year at a London boarding school when she witnesses a murder by a Jack the Ripper copycat and becomes involved with the very unusual investigation.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,639,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible