Half-Blood (Covenant) by Jennifer L.…

Half-Blood (Covenant)

by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Series: Covenant (1)

Recently added byWeyona, jeky91, Erina39, private library

Like the many other individuals who have reviewed this book, I definitely got Vampire Academy vibes. However, I also feel that this book is set up and going in a direction much different from VA. While it is slightly predictable, I can't deny that I enjoyed the story and that I'm absolutely falling in love with the characters. I don't what it is about the author, but I find her writing very addictive. I feel like she could write about anything and I would immediately be sucked in. I definitely look forward to the next book! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
The first half of the book was often annoying and difficult to get through as I found myself rolling my eyes every time Alex spoke. Every time she described a guy I rolled my eyes even more! She was often hard-headed and "lusty" but then again, what teenager isn't? About 60% into the book it started to get interesting to me and I couldn't put it down. Not quite sure how I got sucked in but I'm onto the next now and I'm actually excited about reading it! ( )
  samanthamholt | Nov 21, 2017 |
Hi, my name is Emma and I am a HUGE cover snob. It's a serious problem that I cannot seem to control. Half-Blood was published years ago and despite all the positive reviews I refused to read it mainly because I hated the cover. How stupid is that?

Luckily the fates intervened and I won a prize pack full of Armentrout books, two of which came from the Covenant series. The first book wasn't included though so of course I had to find it. I don't just not read books that come my way. That would be crazy.
Half-Blood is about this girl named Alex who is something called a Half-Blood. Did you really not see that coming? You see way back in the day the Gods produced children. . .lots and lots of children, who had traits similar to their own. These children are known as Pue-Bloods. Pure-Bloods who get down and dirty with mortals produce Half-Bloods and Half-Blood are basically mudbloods in the HP world. They have very limited options in life. Basically Alex can either become a Sentinel and kill daimons or she can be drugged for the rest of her life and scrub toliets. She would prefer to be coherent so her choice is obvious.
In order to become a Sentinel you have to train at this school called the Covenant. It's located on this island off of North Carolina and it is one of the only safe places, because here's the thing about daimons, they can't cross water. Weird, right? I never could quite understand why that is the case. Anyway, Alex has been away from the Covenant for quite some time so she is behind everyone else and has to prove her worth. Everything is on the line.

Luckily Alex is being trained by an awesome Sentinel named Aiden. All you need to know about Aiden is that if he weren't a fictional character my husband would be in trouble. Here is another monkey wrench for you. Pure-Bloods like Aiden are not allowed to be with Half-Bloods like Alex. Ah forbidden love. I really like the relationship between Aiden and Alex. The progression seems to be just right and there is just enough romance leaving you wanting more. . .much more. Aiden also happens to say just the right things at the right moments.

As you can probably tell there is A LOT going on. I didn't even fill you in on some of the other things happening. That's really is just the tip, my friends. This book will keep you entertained because so much is happening in such a short amount of time. It's incredibly hard to put down.

My one complaint is this: there seem to be way too many characters. There are a ton of minor characters that are really hard to keep straight simply because they aren't all that developed. Now this is the first book in a series, so that could all change.

Overall:
If you enjoyed Harry Potter or if you even kind of liked the premise of The Mortal Instruments series then I think you will LOVE this! The writing is witty. The plot is exciting. The romance is forbidden. What more could you want?! ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
I found Half-Blood to be extremely predictable yet unexpectedly addictive. I’d definitely classify it as fluff, but it still has the ability to hold your attention.

Jennifer Armentrout tells a tale of a Half-Blood girl who is special, the Pure she is in love with and the Apollon she can’t escape from. Pures are off-springs of demi-gods and Half-Bloods are offspring of pure bloods and humans, the caste doesn’t make much sense to me since demi-gods are off-springs of gods and humans - so Pures have human blood in them, but the politics behind it is Pures are higher ranking and to avoid mixing blood it is forbidden for a Half-Blood and a pure to have romantic relationships.

Alex (our protagonist) was on the run with her mother, unaware of why her mother took her from the protection of the Covenant – their home – when they were attacked and her mother lost. As the story continues we learn why her mother ran way and the meaning of the strange connection between Alex and Seth – the Apollon – who was my favourite character in the book.

My biggest complaint about this story is the characters. With the exception of Seth, I couldn’t love the main characters. Alex was just forever feisty and she didn’t seem to grow as a character. Aiden – the forbidden love interest – was completely flat; I couldn’t really picture him in my head and found his character a little monotonous. Seth, even though he was the typical bad-boy character, was a refreshing change to the others. I’m not unusually a fan of the cocky bad-boy character because they all seem to be the same, but Seth works.

I wouldn’t say the story was fast paced but it kept me engaged enough to want to know what would happen next and this was the main reason for me liking the story. I think Jennifer Armentrout did a neat job with the way she intertwined mythology into her story and I’d love to find out what happens in the end. I’d say Half-Blood is a quick read for a long trip.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
Really enjoyed it. The story is interesting and it reminded me of Vampire Academy which I loved, so I really liked this one. I loved the main character Alex, she is sassy and badass. And I really like Adrien but then there is Seth, soo Grrr I don't know on which team I'm on yet. Will def be continuing with the rest of this series. ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi—pure-bloods—have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals—well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.

Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:

Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.

Unfortunately, she’s crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn’t her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck. (summary from book)

Seventeen-year-old Alexandria has to fight daimons to survive -- and fight her growing attraction to the man she can never have. If she loses either fight, she could lose everything.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,369,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible