Half-Blood: The First Covenant Novel…

Half-Blood: The First Covenant Novel (Covenant Series Book 1) (edition 2017)

by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Author)

Series: Covenant (1)

Member:ERose207
Title:Half-Blood: The First Covenant Novel (Covenant Series Book 1)
Authors:Jennifer L. Armentrout (Author)
Info:Jennifer L. Armentrout (2017), 304 pages

Half-Blood (Covenant) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Completed 11/5/18 ( )
  ERose207 | Nov 5, 2018 |
3.5 stars ( )
  thepageparamour | Sep 9, 2018 |
Like the many other individuals who have reviewed this book, I definitely got Vampire Academy vibes. However, I also feel that this book is set up and going in a direction much different from VA. While it is slightly predictable, I can't deny that I enjoyed the story and that I'm absolutely falling in love with the characters. I don't what it is about the author, but I find her writing very addictive. I feel like she could write about anything and I would immediately be sucked in. I definitely look forward to the next book! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
The first half of the book was often annoying and difficult to get through as I found myself rolling my eyes every time Alex spoke. Every time she described a guy I rolled my eyes even more! She was often hard-headed and "lusty" but then again, what teenager isn't? About 60% into the book it started to get interesting to me and I couldn't put it down. Not quite sure how I got sucked in but I'm onto the next now and I'm actually excited about reading it! ( )
  samanthamholt | Nov 21, 2017 |
Hi, my name is Emma and I am a HUGE cover snob. It's a serious problem that I cannot seem to control. Half-Blood was published years ago and despite all the positive reviews I refused to read it mainly because I hated the cover. How stupid is that?

Luckily the fates intervened and I won a prize pack full of Armentrout books, two of which came from the Covenant series. The first book wasn't included though so of course I had to find it. I don't just not read books that come my way. That would be crazy.
Half-Blood is about this girl named Alex who is something called a Half-Blood. Did you really not see that coming? You see way back in the day the Gods produced children. . .lots and lots of children, who had traits similar to their own. These children are known as Pue-Bloods. Pure-Bloods who get down and dirty with mortals produce Half-Bloods and Half-Blood are basically mudbloods in the HP world. They have very limited options in life. Basically Alex can either become a Sentinel and kill daimons or she can be drugged for the rest of her life and scrub toliets. She would prefer to be coherent so her choice is obvious.
In order to become a Sentinel you have to train at this school called the Covenant. It's located on this island off of North Carolina and it is one of the only safe places, because here's the thing about daimons, they can't cross water. Weird, right? I never could quite understand why that is the case. Anyway, Alex has been away from the Covenant for quite some time so she is behind everyone else and has to prove her worth. Everything is on the line.

Luckily Alex is being trained by an awesome Sentinel named Aiden. All you need to know about Aiden is that if he weren't a fictional character my husband would be in trouble. Here is another monkey wrench for you. Pure-Bloods like Aiden are not allowed to be with Half-Bloods like Alex. Ah forbidden love. I really like the relationship between Aiden and Alex. The progression seems to be just right and there is just enough romance leaving you wanting more. . .much more. Aiden also happens to say just the right things at the right moments.

As you can probably tell there is A LOT going on. I didn't even fill you in on some of the other things happening. That's really is just the tip, my friends. This book will keep you entertained because so much is happening in such a short amount of time. It's incredibly hard to put down.

My one complaint is this: there seem to be way too many characters. There are a ton of minor characters that are really hard to keep straight simply because they aren't all that developed. Now this is the first book in a series, so that could all change.

Overall:
If you enjoyed Harry Potter or if you even kind of liked the premise of The Mortal Instruments series then I think you will LOVE this! The writing is witty. The plot is exciting. The romance is forbidden. What more could you want?! ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi—pure-bloods—have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals—well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.

Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:

Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.

Unfortunately, she’s crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn’t her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck. (summary from book)

Seventeen-year-old Alexandria has to fight daimons to survive -- and fight her growing attraction to the man she can never have. If she loses either fight, she could lose everything.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,220,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible