My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers

My Utmost for His Highest (1927)

by Oswald Chambers

This book is part of my collection that really focuses in on Biblical Commentary more than anything else (including some well known authors in the theological world). All of these books haven't been read cover to cover, but I've spent a lot of time with them and they've been helpful in guiding me through difficult passages (or if I desire to dig deeper). ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jul 31, 2018 |
I used to really think this was a great book. There are some entries that I still think are great, however, I'm finding myself increasingly frustrated with Chambers being somewhat heavy-handed with works-based doctrine. Unnervingly, he seems heavily rooted in Christian-perfectionism at times, and I find that downright depressing. Worse, Chambers overuses ellipses in his daily scripture quotations to the point at which he frequently has more to say about a verse than what quoted sentence fragment actually supports - context is important, and it is lost in this form of exegesis. ( )
  Adam_Z | Mar 19, 2018 |
One of my few favorite books - timeless, touching, totally true - little snippets of devotion which pull a heart into heavy worship. ( )
  rcalbright | Sep 8, 2017 |
Oswald Chambers was gifted with extracting the essence of biblical principles and condensing them into potent, thought-provoking, and life-changing devotions. They don't take a lot of time to read, but they can infuse you with the timeless truths of the Bible.

In this edition of My Utmost for His Highest, you get updated-language daily devotionals that have become an enduring favorite because Oswald Chambers used his spiritual gifts so wisely and generously.

Compiled from lectures given at the Bible Training College in London, to nightly talks in an Egyptian YMCA during World War I, My Utmost for His Highest will lend a powerful spiritual dimension to your walk with God. ( )
1 vote fredjryder1946 | Oct 25, 2016 |
Allt för Honom är en klassiker inom den kristna andaktslitteraturen. Den har översatts till många språk och kommer nu åter på svenska i språkligt reviderad form. Chambers förkunnelse är Kristus-centrerad och manar till ett överlåtet liv.
1 vote svkkarlskrona | Jan 29, 2016 |
"This book is dedicated to the reader, especially my parents, Gil and Violet, my wife, Pam, my children, Jeremy, Aaron, and Bethany, and each generation of readers they represent. May you know God better and draw closer to Him as a result of applying the truths of God's Word expressed in this book."
"... my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death" (Philippians 1:20).
The original 1927/1935 publication is different from the "Updated Edition in Today's Language." Please don't combine the two.

Leather bound special edition devotional

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0916441822, Paperback)

Oswald Chambers, a Scotsman who converted to Christianity in his teens under the ministry of Charles Spurgeon, has been affecting Christians with his devotional words since My Utmost for His Highest was first published in 1935. This acknowledged classic contains 365 daily readings that take heady doctrine and make it practical, realistic, and intensely personal. With humor and humility, Chambers speaks plainly to the common man struggling with devotion to Christ in daily living. Worldly cares and self-serving desires begin to lose their appeal as Chambers aides the reader in transforming his mind by viewing life through the instruction of God's Word. Richard Halverson, former chaplain of the United States Senate, attests to this: "no book except the Bible has influenced my walk with Christ at such deep maturing levels." This is Chambers's chief desire, directing the reader to "shut out every other consideration and keep yourself before God for this one thing only--My Utmost for His Highest... determined to be absolutely and entirely for Him and for Him alone." --Jill Heatherly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:51 -0400)

For years, millions of Christians the world over have trusted the spiritual companionship of Oswald Chambers' beloved daily devotional, My Utmost for His Highest. The updated text of this timeless devotional makes Chambers' meditations accessible to modern readers while carefully preserving their meaning and style. Includes complete updated text, helpful subject and Scripture indexes, and a brief, inspiring biography of Oswald Chambers and his beloved wife, Biddy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,532,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible