My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers

My Utmost for His Highest (1927)

by Oswald Chambers

Oswald Chambers was gifted with extracting the essence of biblical principles and condensing them into potent, thought-provoking, and life-changing devotions. They don't take a lot of time to read, but they can infuse you with the timeless truths of the Bible.

In this edition of My Utmost for His Highest, you get updated-language daily devotionals that have become an enduring favorite because Oswald Chambers used his spiritual gifts so wisely and generously.

Compiled from lectures given at the Bible Training College in London, to nightly talks in an Egyptian YMCA during World War I, My Utmost for His Highest will lend a powerful spiritual dimension to your walk with God. ( )
1 vote fredjryder1946 | Oct 25, 2016 |
Allt för Honom är en klassiker inom den kristna andaktslitteraturen. Den har översatts till många språk och kommer nu åter på svenska i språkligt reviderad form. Chambers förkunnelse är Kristus-centrerad och manar till ett överlåtet liv.
1 vote svkkarlskrona | Jan 29, 2016 |
My favorite daily devotional ( )
1 vote That_Looney_Lady | Aug 9, 2013 |
PASSAGES MARKED WITH INK PEN BY PREVIOUS OWNER.
  saintmarysaccden | Feb 25, 2013 |
My Utmost for His Highest is a devotional book. This means that each day has a small, easy-to-digest piece of theology attached to it. I’ve read many of these before, hardly ever in the way they’re intended (instead, I barrel through, doing months in a single day). While this may alter the outcome of what I get from the volume, I find this a more efficient way of reading many books in less time.

Nevertheless, I found some of Chambers’ points to be atypical of what I expected to see in a devotional. Many times he emphasized making disciples of men versus getting people to believe what you believe. I for one found this to be a breath of fresh air (albeit, one that is about 100 years old) among all the books and materials that are about converting to believe what you believe down to the last letter. I agree with Chambers in this light, as with Christianity, there is so much that is left to interpretation that is not vital for being a Christian. If there was some subtle nuance to getting Christianity “right,” it would devalue the importance of Jesus and make Christianity more akin to the card game Mao than the straightforward walk it is.

While I’m not a fan of devotionals (for the reason stated above), I did think that Chambers had some pretty good ideas that I think today’s Christian may find useful. ( )
1 vote aethercowboy | Jan 9, 2013 |
"This book is dedicated to the reader, especially my parents, Gil and Violet, my wife, Pam, my children, Jeremy, Aaron, and Bethany, and each generation of readers they represent. May you know God better and draw closer to Him as a result of applying the truths of God's Word expressed in this book."
"... my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death" (Philippians 1:20).
The original 1927/1935 publication is different from the "Updated Edition in Today's Language." Please don't combine the two.

Leather bound special edition devotional

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0916441822, Paperback)

Oswald Chambers, a Scotsman who converted to Christianity in his teens under the ministry of Charles Spurgeon, has been affecting Christians with his devotional words since My Utmost for His Highest was first published in 1935. This acknowledged classic contains 365 daily readings that take heady doctrine and make it practical, realistic, and intensely personal. With humor and humility, Chambers speaks plainly to the common man struggling with devotion to Christ in daily living. Worldly cares and self-serving desires begin to lose their appeal as Chambers aides the reader in transforming his mind by viewing life through the instruction of God's Word. Richard Halverson, former chaplain of the United States Senate, attests to this: "no book except the Bible has influenced my walk with Christ at such deep maturing levels." This is Chambers's chief desire, directing the reader to "shut out every other consideration and keep yourself before God for this one thing only--My Utmost for His Highest... determined to be absolutely and entirely for Him and for Him alone." --Jill Heatherly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:51 -0400)

1 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,518,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible