The Twelfth Insight: The Hour of Decision by…

The Twelfth Insight: The Hour of Decision (2011)

by James Redfield

English (11)  Hungarian (1)  All (12)
Thin plot doesn't dim the thrill of genuine spiritual discoveryJames Redfield's story-telling skills haven't improved in his third novel since The Celestine Prophecy. Fortunately, his ability to touch the reader's spirit and inspire our higher selves has not lessened, which makes this thin story a tale worth reading nonetheless.Spiritual/metaphysical content: High. Redfield continues to expand on the nine insights detailed in The Celestine Prophecy in 1993. For a quick recap, see Insights from The Celestine Prophecy. His fourth book builds somewhat on those first nine insights by adding twelve "integrations," which extend a few of the original insights by demonstrating practical applications and illustrations that play out in the story line. The first five integrations Redfield calls the foundation to spiritual consciousness. The remaining seven are the "rise to sacred influence." For a quick summary, see Integrations from The Twelfth Insight.The first integration is the principle of synchronicity, which plays a large role in The Twelfth Insight. The idea is that if you consciously expect synchronicity, and stay in a state of “expectant alertness,” events of synchronicity will occur. This spiritual principle rang true for me, along with another of Redfield's favorite quotes from Kant: "Act and be as though how you are dictates that everyone else will be that same way."My take: Redfield's spiritual development has deepened considerably since the nine insights of The Celestine Prophecy--so much so that many of his integrations will leave his original readers bewildered and wondering how the story line has moved from personal growth to international conspiracy theory. Although I understand and agree with the spiritual evolution of his ideas, does Redfield really believe that 144,000 people must work through the twelve integrations to prevent the Mayan prophecy that the world will end in 2012, or is it merely a convenient plot device? Either way, the story is thinly developed and seems over the top.Despite that, Redfield still delivers soul-felt descriptions of spiritual experience that remind me why I started reading new age fiction in the first place. The thrill of spiritual discovery is still there, and The Twelfth Insight is worth reading just to be reminded of that.For more reviews of new age novels, see Fiction For A New Age. ( )
  PJSwanwick | Sep 14, 2011 |
Los protagonistas de La duodécima revelación reciben un pedazo de un antiguo manuscrito que contiene el secreto de la nueva espiritualidad que será revelada a la humanidad durante la segunda década del siglo xxi. El documento sólo está disponible en fragmentos y para entender el significado de su contenido es necesario encontrarlos todos. Este hallazgo, unido a la necesidad de entender el cambio de espiritualidad que se anunciaba ya en las antiguas profecías mayas, y entender el significado que comporta marcarán el inicio de una búsqueda apasionante que los llevará a descubrir el mensaje en su totalidad. A medida que avanzan en su viaje —un recorrido iniciático que los conducirá hasta las profundidades de su alma— se enfrentarán a fuerzas políticas y religiosas extremas que aparecerán a medida que alcancen cada una de las revelaciones espirituales pero también encontrarán guías que los ayudarán a avanzar y a entender lo que sucede tanto fuera como dentro de sí mismos. ( )
  ARICANA | Sep 2, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read the first two of these books when they were first published and really enjoyed it. however, this one just doesn't live up to the standard set by the previous books in this series. The book seemed rather muddled, with too much information crammed into the book itself. Warning to those who haven't read the Celestine series: Read the first two first otherwise this one will just leave you feeling confused! ( )
  CozyLover | Jul 21, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read the very first "insight" book many years ago, and found it enriching and enlightening. This book was okay, although I have been away from the story for a while. That factor made it difficult for me to get into the book right away - just a heads up to those who have never read any of the Celestine books, or who have not read them for some time. The problem I had with this book is that it tried to cram too much information and even new ideas in only 220something pages, leaving me feeling a bit overwhelmed and unsatisfied. I intend to go back and refresh my memory, and read the novels in order, and see if it improves my understanding. ( )
  Readerwoman | May 25, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Although this book 'may' stand alone I would definitely recommend reading James Redfield's other Novel's before diving into this one. Personally I enjoyed his first one (Celestine Prophecies) & third one (Secrets of Shambala) the most but this one is more relevant to current ideas.

While Redfield's other books took us to other countries this one stays here in the USA for about 1/2 of the novel, setting the location in Sedona, AZ which is considered one of the most 'spiritual' places in the USA. The second half takes us to Egypt which by some in the spiritual community is like a sister location to Sedona so it was interesting to see how the book linked this. The foundation of this novel like Redfield's others are enlightenment thoughts & beliefs. This novel focuses more on the idea of Armageddon & the 2012 philosophies.

Like in his previous novel there are ancient documents that surface throughout the book, each uncovering a new idea or philosophy that shares more about, in this case, how to avoid/prepare for Armageddon.

Although I enjoyed this novel, the focus was a little more specific than previous novels which I felt were useful for many areas of spiritual growth & enlightenment. I would however recommend this to Redfield fans as an addition to his other novels. ( )
  IndigoWings | May 24, 2011 |

On December 21, 2012, the Mayan calendar will end. Many see it as an apocalyptic sign.

But is it?

In The Twelfth Insight, the long-awaited fourth book in the beloved Celestine Series, we again follow our Hero and his close friend Wil. They have just received a portion of another ancient and mysterious manuscript that describes a secret approach to spirituality that is silently arriving in the second decade of the 21st Century. But the manuscript is only available in fragments.

To understand its full meaning for mankind, our Hero and Wil begin an urgent search to find the message in its entirety. As they embrace the power of Synchronicity and begin their search, they are confronted by powerful political forces and religious extremists that stand in the way of these spiritual revelations.

Utilizing what he calls the "parable effect," and based on his own sources, James Redfield explores the similarities and differences that exist among the world religions, revealing the essential messages contained within them that can energize our experience of spirituality-- and produce a new wave of integrity and reform that can transform our lives and our world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:51 -0400)

"The fourth book in the Celestine Series, this is an adventure tale, both suspenseful and contemplative, that describes a new wave of religious tolerance and integrity that is arriving, in reaction to years of religious warfare and political corruption"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Twelfth Insight: The Hour of Decision by James Redfield was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,299,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible