Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan
Recently added byprivate library, coatsmel, ssschultz, ElizabethFlygare, ms_samparker
    Wish You Were Here by Stewart O'Nan (aunthez)
    aunthez: Strong family dynamics and everyone puts in their two cents when the matriarch prepares to sell the family's long-time vacation home.

Great beach read ( )
  INorris | Jun 22, 2014 |
Although I really love the way Sullivan writes, she did it again---the ending leaves me with question marks---wanting more and yet a little confused with what she meant with the ending provided. The characters were beautifully spelled out---I felt as though I could picture and understand each of them with their conflicting points of view. I listened to all three of Sullivan's books, but not in order----Maine being the last of the three. I would love a sequel, as someone else has already mentioned. ( )
  nyiper | Jan 17, 2014 |
The state of Maine’s license-plate motto is “Vacationland,” and for many New Englanders, its southern coast defines the concept of summer: cottages near small beach towns, long days of family gatherings for barbecues and water play, picnics and the freshest berries and seafood. Three generations of the Kelleher family have spent their summers this way, at their property in Cape Neddick, for sixty years. However, the family dynamics have shifted since patriarch Daniel died a decade ago, and his widow Alice is making plans for the home he left her. So are her son Patrick and his wife Ann Marie. Meanwhile, her daughter Kathleen has made a new life on the West Coast and hasn’t come back to Maine since her father died, although Kathleen’s daughter Maggie finds a sense of home there.

While the central action in Maine occurs over several weeks in early summer, the backstories of these characters are explored at length, and by shifting focus with each chapter between the perspectives of Alice, Ann Marie, Kathleen, and Maggie, Sullivan strengthens her characterizations with the women’s views of one another. It’s a device that rounds them out and helps render each of them more sympathetic, and since none of them really comes across as terribly likable on her own merits, I thought it added depth, interest, and a distinct sense of realism.

READ MORE: http://www.3rsblog.com/2013/06/book-talk-maine-by-j-courtney-sullivan.html ( )
  Florinda | Jan 3, 2014 |
The backstory: After liking J. Courtney Sullivan's first novel, Commencement, I finally got around to reading her second novel, Maine.

The basics: Maine traces the story of the Kelleher family one summer at their Maine beachhouse. Four women share narration: Alice, the matriarch, whose husband Daniel, died ten years ago; Alice's daughter Kathleen, who lives with her boyfriend and runs a worm farm in California; Alice's daughter-in-law Anne Marie, who has become obsessed with dollhouses; and Kathleen's daughter Maggie, who is thirty-two, unmarried and pregnant.

My thoughts: In recent years I've realized how much I enjoy family sagas. I've always enjoyed multiple narrators, so Maine was right up my alley. I love the way Sullivan writes, and she's grew as a writer between Commencement and Maine. There's a maturity to Maine and its characters that I quite enjoyed. While Maine takes place over the span of a little over a month, the action is split equally between the present and explaining the family's history. In many cases, the four narrators had quite varied perspectives on the same events, which made the reader the most knowledgable person in the room. This technique can frustrate me to no end, but Sullivan does it well--the knowledge helped explain each character's perspectives and actions more thoroughly.

Sullivan's characters have interior monologues that kept me laughing out loud: ""What on earth would we talk about?” Arlo asked, as if most people interacted with their families for the riveting conversation." While it's expressed in humor in this passage, the theme of how, why, and when we spend time with family is a powerful theme in this novel.

Favorite passage: "The joy and spontaneity of summers past were gone now. Daniel’s death had ended them as a family. Each had pulled away from the others, and at some point without realizing it, Alice had gone from the matriarch—keeper of the wisdom and the order—to the old lady you had to look in on before the day’s fun could begin."

The verdict: Maine is not a book that made me wish I were vacationing at their Maine beach house alongside the Kelleher family, but I loved the day I spent with them. I kept changing my mind about which narrator or storyline was favorite, which is a testament to Sullivan's characters. ( )
  nomadreader | Jan 2, 2014 |
In the beginning I felt like I needed an illustrated family tree to keep track of all the characters and their relationships. That said, I did not enjoy this one. I was hoping the ending would redeem it for me, but it was a let down after all. ( )
  marymmars | Oct 22, 2013 |
Everyone has dark secrets. It’s why God invented confession and booze, two balms frequently employed in Sullivan’s well-wrought sophomore effort.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 15, 2011)

Four women from the Kelleher family gather at the family beach home in Maine, each hoping to find a new outlook on life as three generations help one another deal with sibling rivalry, alcoholism, social climbing, and good old fashioned Catholic guilt.

Three generations of women converge on the family beach house in this wickedly funny, emotionally resonant story of love and dysfunction.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,702,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible