Maine: A Novel by J. Courtney Sullivan

Maine: A Novel

by J. Courtney Sullivan

Wish You Were Here by Stewart O'Nan (aunthez)
    aunthez: Strong family dynamics and everyone puts in their two cents when the matriarch prepares to sell the family's long-time vacation home.

Kathleen, Ann Marie, Maggie and Alice are three generations of the same family. This family has mega problems. Alice has a mean streak, Kathleen is the black sheep, Ann Marie is the daughter in law who fakes it to make it and Maggie is the granddaughter trying to become her own person. The family has a house in Maine that Alice stays in during the summer and the rest of the family spends a month at a time up there. One month all 4 women end up there at the same time and what ensues is a family drama rich with details that you can't put down! ( )
  Lisa_Boys | Feb 8, 2016 |
This just whined on and on. I felt no affection for any of the characters. ( )
  ellenuw | Jan 27, 2016 |
Was really looking forward to this book. Not only did it sound interesting but we often vacation in the area. The book had interesting characters but I felt that the story/plot never really took off for me. It seemed a bit flat and ended abruptly without resolving most of the family drama. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
I found this slow going mainly because I never really connected with the characters. ( )
  cjservis | Jan 17, 2016 |
Everyone has dark secrets. It’s why God invented confession and booze, two balms frequently employed in Sullivan’s well-wrought sophomore effort.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 15, 2011)

Alas, a mother is never afraid, of speaking angrily to any child, since love, she knows, is justified of love.  --Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Aurora Leigh
Just do everything we didn't do and you will be perfectly safe.  --a letter from F. Scott Fitzgerald to his daughter, Frances
For Trish
Alice decided to take a break from packing.

Four women from the Kelleher family gather at the family beach home in Maine, each hoping to find a new outlook on life as three generations help one another deal with sibling rivalry, alcoholism, social climbing, and good old fashioned Catholic guilt.

Three generations of women converge on the family beach house in this wickedly funny, emotionally resonant story of love and dysfunction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,192,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible