Squish #1: Super Amoeba by Jennifer L. Holm

Squish #1: Super Amoeba

by Jennifer L. Holm

Series: Squish (1)

I wanted to like this book. But I found the bullying themes hard to find. "The courage to stand up" is pretty much as far as it went. I also don't love graphic novels. This one lacked color variation so that might play a role in why I didn't like it. However, lots of kids like graphic novels so this has its place.
  Gabrielle_Stoller | Oct 27, 2016 |
I had high expectations for Squish because I love Babymouse so much and I wasn't disappointed. The graphics are entertaining and engaging. The plot was interesting and of course, the characters were the best bit. Although I was unsure about Peggy being so happy and enthusiastic all the time. That felt a bit like stereotyping. But otherwise, another adorable series by the Holm siblings. For children who don't like Babymouse, you can always recommend Squish! For those that love Babymouse, you can recommend Squish when they run out of Babymouse books. ( )
  LoisHaight | Mar 18, 2014 |
FUN! with a few science facts thrown in for good measure. ( )
  alidevnz | Apr 1, 2013 |
Z and J read this today after picking it up at Third Place (thanks to a spot-on recommendation from a friend). The boy loved it, naturally, since he actually wears a shirt in honor of volvox colonies at least once a week.

Bonus: Z's invented a new superhero as a result. Beetleman, who has 4 arms available for fighting (two of his six limbs are for standing), compound vision, and the ability to become the size of Darkling Beetle when the need arises. There may be a franchise in this somewhere. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 31, 2013 |
Holm, J.L. & Holm, M. (2011). Squish: Super Amoeba. New York: Random House.

94 pages.

Appetizer: Squish is a young amoeba who loves comic books and twinkies. His best friend, Pod, is planning to fix global warming, but only after Squish agrees to trade lunches with him. Their friend Peggy is a paramecium who is happy all of the time.

When Lynwood, a particularly big and mean amoeba, targets consuming Peggy amoeba style (as opposed to eating with a mouth, human style) Squish tries to stand up to the bully and finds himself pressured to help Lynwood cheat in science class in his effort to do the right thing.

I liked many of the elements of Squish. The scientific facts were subtly included, preventing the book from becoming annoying. I liked the arrows that provided a lot of details and gave the book a pseudo-academic voice (but that were really quite funny). I also like that Squish was a comic book fan and aspired to be like his favorite hero, Super Amoeba.

My one big complaint about the book is that--I can't believe I'm saying this, but--I wished it'd been a little more didactic about providing suggestions to deal with bullying. The conflict with Lynwood is resolved in a quick and humorous way that wee-bullied kids can't rely upon.

I can't believe this is happening...I'm always so opposed to everything teachy and preachy. (There is a brief suggestion about telling a teacher...and that's fine...I just wish it hadn't occurred after Squish asked for help from his dad whose response was to initially offer no help at all.)

I also could have used more character development with Pod and Peggy. Peggy's ceaseless optimism was annoying. Plus, when Lynwood almost eats her...she doesn't even notice. I get that Squish has to be the one to save the day, but it'd be nice if this paramecium could be a little more self-aware. Hopefully the rest of the series will include some more development for these supporting characters.

In contrast to the Holm siblings' other series, Babymouse, Squish is arguably a graphic novel series that will appeal more to boys while including subtle facts from a microbiology lesson.

I'm very excited to see the other books in the Squish series mix-up the color scheme a little more. ( )
  SJKessel | Jul 6, 2012 |

Introducing SQUISH—a new graphic novel series about a comic book-loving, twinkie-eating grade school AMOEBA trying to find his place in the world (or at least trying to make it through a school day). Inspired by his favorite comic book hero, SUPER AMOEBA!, Squish has to navigate school (bullies! detention! Principal Planaria!), family (dad: Hates to wear a tie. Secretly listens to heavy metal in the car), and friends (Peggy-rainbows! happy all the time! and Pod . . . who's . . . well, you just have to meet him). Can Squish save the world—and his friends—from the forces of evil lurking in the hallways? Find out in Squish: Super Amoeba—saving the world, one cell at a time!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:17 -0400)

Squish, a meek amoeba who loves the comic book exploits of his favorite hero, "Super Amoeba," tries to emulate him when his best friend is threatened by a bully.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,757,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible