Malcolm Gladwell: Collected by Malcolm…

Malcolm Gladwell: Collected (edition 2011)

by Malcolm Gladwell

Member:andrew.zirkin
Title:Malcolm Gladwell: Collected
Authors:Malcolm Gladwell
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2011), Hardcover, 768 pages

Malcolm Gladwell: Collected by Malcolm Gladwell

I have finished listening to The Tipping Point and have decided to listen to something else before listening to the next book. I was fascinated by Gladwell's examination of what causes products and ideas to tip i.e. become wildly successful. I don't think I'll ever look at a Hush Puppies ad the same way again since that was the first product that he examined.

I have now finished listening to Blink. Lots of interesting stuff about how we form first impressions and whether they are right or wrong. Gladwell discusses everything from a fake Greek statue to marriages to Coke and Pepsi to police errors.

Now I have finished Outliers, the third book in this "boxed set". It was very interesting too and bears out something that I have felt myself. Gladwell shows how most successful people owe a lot to being in the right place at the right time. He first examines elite Canadian hockey players because it was noticed that an overwhelming majority of them were born at the beginning of the year. (I checked--Wayne Gretzky was born January 26, 1961) Gladwell posits that this gives them the edge in hockey because they have better co-ordination, are bigger and more developed than their age cohort who were born later in the year. Of course these players work hard and develop skills but even their ability to access special training is enhanced because of their birth month. The same argument is made about Jewish lawyers, Silicon Valley entrepreneurs, Asian math whizzes and even Gladwell's own mother. Timing is everything according to Gladwell.

This book ended with an interview with Gladwell which didn't really add anything new once you had read the book so I'm not sure why it was included. I did like Gladwell as a narrator and would recommend listening to these books if you have the opportunity to do so. If you don't want to listen to them reading them would work too. ( )
  gypsysmom | Sep 24, 2013 |
Contains "The Tipping Point", "Blink", and "Outliers".

In the past decade, Malcolm Gladwell has written three books that have radically changed how we understand our world and ourselves: The Tipping Point, Blink, and Outliers. Regarded by many as the most gifted and influential author and journalist in America today, Gladwell's rare ability to connect with audiences of such varied interests has ensured that each title become a phenomenal bestseller with more than ten million copies in print combined.

Now, Gladwell's landmark investigations into the world around us are collected together for the first time. Beautifully repackaged and redesigned, including for the first time illustrations throughout each book, MALCOLM GLADWELL: COMPLETE is a perfect treasury of prose and provocation for Gladwell fans old and new.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:03 -0400)

Presents a box set of three titles that will help listeners understand the world around them, including "The Tipping Point," which explains how minor changes in ideas and products can increase their popularity and how small adjustments in one's immediate environment can alter group behavior.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,682,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible