The Adults: A Novel by Alison Espach

The Adults: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Alison Espach

Member:fountainoverflows
Title:The Adults: A Novel
Authors:Alison Espach
Info:Scribner (2011), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*

The Adults by Alison Espach

I read where the author of this book teaches creative writing, what a surprise. In New York, what a bigger surprise, Not. From the city of elitist garbage comes "The Adults" by Alison Espach.
This book was a huge disappointment. It was a "recommended If you liked" Jonathan Tropper" and when I saw it was on sale for $7.00 I bought it. I should have known better when I saw the quote/ hype/ recommendation on the back from The New York Times- " A fierce, tender adolescent narrative". As for the recommended if you liked Jonathan Tropper, comparing these two writers is like comparing the musical talents of Britney Spears to Mozart. The author seems to be incapable of writing clearly. Nearly every sentence is creative for creative sake, oftentimes either completely muddling the point of the sentence or worse contradicting itself.
Example
" she was a skinny but doughy woman, like someone had ripped the muscles out of her body". Was she skinny or doughy? I don't know, and after the first 110 pages, I stopped caring.
James Lee Burke can write a descriptive showy sentence to describe a person or place, this author can't. This book is a perfect example of the type of books reviewers especially those at the New York Times Book Review, latch onto and love. The author narrates Emily (who at the beginning of the book is the 14 year old girl who is the "star" of this boring story) like a 50 year old blue blood would think and speak. Not one character in this train wreck of a book is likable, and most of the story is either disturbing or terribly far fetched. Another really annoying thing about this book is that most of the characters have dumb nicknames. With all the books that are published each year, it is sad that crap like this gets the attention and the hype. ( )
  zmagic69 | Jun 15, 2014 |
"The Adults" started off well. I loved the suburban voice if this coming of age novel, but even as Emily grew, her voice never changed much which bothered me. She seemed intent on staying a child. But then again, maybe that was the point.

Not long after the book starts, she witnesses a neighbor commit suicide, an act that will change her life forever. As she grows up with some very cruel children who think there already adults, a mother who drinks to much, and a philandering father, life if a drag until Mr. Basketball comes into the picture. Then as time goes on, she begins to wonder if anyone really is an adult or if were all just kidding ourselves.

The writing was good in this one, not great, but good. Worth a read but not a re-read. ( )
  Alexander19 | Feb 11, 2014 |
Interesting as a coming of age novel that doesn’t resort to an overly clichéd ending. Modern prose, which took a bit of time for me to get used to, with little episodes of non-chronological additions within the largely linear story. I loved how it looked at what being "an adult" means at different stages in life. At points I was a little frustrated with the problems-of-privilege themes, and the teenage-teacher affair won't be for everyone, but overall it is a solid first novel. ( )
  meganelizabeth | Nov 19, 2013 |
Full of startlingly true observations, made more so by how casually they're stuffed into sentences. Excellently written, heartbreaking and memorable. ( )
  Aleesa | Jun 13, 2013 |
The Short of It:

Sharp. Witty. Acerbic.

The Rest of It:

Fourteen-year-old Emily Vidal and her family host a cocktail party to celebrate her father’s 50th birthday. Everyone in the neighborhood is there despite the oppressive heat and as the guests float in and out of the house, it’s clear to Emily that being an adult is as droll as say… watching paint dry. That is, until she sees her father in a passionate embrace with their next door neighbor, Mrs. Resnick. That night, her parents tell her that they are getting a divorce. It’s said in a very straight-forward manner; a one-two punch to the gut delivered without hesitation. Emily is not surprised after what she’s seen.

Weeks later, Emily invites a group of insipid girls over for a sleepover and in the early morning hours, while getting a glass of water and gazing out her kitchen window, Emily witnesses the suicide of Mr. Resnick as he hangs himself from a tree next door. Her inability to react, to prevent what is about to happen is both alarming and expected. In shock, she drops a glass which shatters across the floor and screams for her father.

The title of this book alone is worthy of discussion. Who are the adults Espach is referring to? Is she talking about Emily’s parents? Her bitter mother, Gloria or her philandering father, Victor? Could she be referring to the Resnicks next door? Another broken family that finds its way into Emily’s immediate circle? Early in the story, I’d say yes. That as we get to know Emily and what makes her tick, we are also given unpleasant glimpses of the adults that form who she is.

With that, let’s talk about Emily. At fourteen, she is wise beyond her years but every now and then her naivety is displayed for all to see. She’s witty, smart and beautiful but at the same time childish and demanding but not in an obnoxious way. Not at all like the friends she hangs out with. They are living caricatures with big heads and a lot of unnecessary banter spewing forth from their mouths. They talk about sex and having sex with various members of the male population, including a teacher by the name of Jonathan.

Emily’s affair with Jonathan is both disturbing and logical. The fact that I just wrote that surprises me, but it’s true. Jonathan’s decision to hook-up with Emily is cringe-worthy but he’s also pretty good to her (if you can forget that he is molesting a child) and although she holds it together fairly well, she is devastated by her parent’s divorce and the distraction of a forbidden romance is what holds her together. But their time together is awkward. There is a lot of fumbling and a lot of sex and although it’s clear that Emily is young and inexperienced, Jonathan doesn’t really pick up on these clues so there are many pages of Emily questioning why he’s so hairy or why he sometimes loses his erection. Her best friend Janice claims to have also slept with Jonathan so it’s not like Emily can just go and ask her about things so she thinks out loud and figures stuff out along the way.

As Emily’s high school years come to a close, I expected the story to end but instead, Espach launches into Emily’s adult life. In college and living in Prague with her father and her half-sister Laura, Emily has once again hooked up with Jonathan and it’s weird. Very weird, because now she is of age, but Jonathan is much older and not nearly as attractive as he used to be. To me, I didn’t need to see Emily as an adult to understand her. Espach’s decision to take us into adulthood was a bold one, but it didn’t work. For one, Emily hasn’t grown all that much. She is essentially the same person and because of this, the relationship between her and Jonathan is even more awkward and forced.

The difference between me loving this one and not loving it, is that jaunt into Emily’s adulthood. I don’t know. I guess I wanted to keep her young in my mind. Isn’t that how it is with high school anyway? You want to hold on to what’s dear and even though her relationship with a teacher was scandalous and perverted, to Emily… it was dear and because of that, I was okay with it. What could have been a great book, was in the end, just good.

Cover note: Don’t let the cover fool you. This paperback cover makes you think it’s for the Young Adult crowd but I’d argue against that. It really does not fall into that category at all.

For more reviews, visit my blog: Book Chatter. ( )
  tibobi | Mar 6, 2013 |

Teenager Emily Vidal tries to navigate through the assortment of eccentric adults at her father's fiftieth birthday party, a celebration organized by her mother, despite her parents' impending divorce.

155 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,483,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible