Frankenstein (Enriched Classics) by Mary…

Frankenstein (Enriched Classics)

by Mary Shelley

It gets lonely when you're a monster. Shelley makes us look at the inhuman aspects of ourselves. When what we create gets out of hand isn't it still our fault? ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
A classic "ghost" story. Victor Frankenstein pursues science to its logical extreme to create life, and he is immediately horrified at his own success. The monster, however, is intelligent and resourceful and comes to understand his own loneliness and therefore seeks revenge on his creator. There are many unexplained occurences (How'd the monster find the ship? or get Henry Clerval's body onto the very shore that Frankenstein would wind up on?) especially for today's more savvy reader, but it's still a masterpiece.

UPDATE October 5, 2012
Simon Vance does a superb job narrating the audio (for Tantor Unabridged Classics). My heart breaks for the monster as he relates his loneliness and despair. Of course, I do not condone his way of trying to fix his condition! ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 20, 2016 |
Victor Frankenstein has lived a charmed life. When he leaves behind Geneva for the colleges of Ingolstodt and his study of the natural sciences he is excited and gifted. Before three years are out he has surpassed all his teachers have to teach him and endeavors to discover the secret of life. To this end he creates for himself a man, cobbled together from the bits and pieces of cadavers. Yet his great success will also prove to be his demise.

An epistolary novel, we learn this story as Frankenstein tells it to Robert Walton, a ship's captain on a voyage of discovery as Walton records it in letters to be sent back to England for his sister. I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. Normally Gothic novels and horror don't work for me, but in this case, I found it quite enjoyable. I do think that it suffers a bit from the fact that everyone already knows this story. If I had been reading it for the first time shortly after publication I think I would have enjoyed it more. I am not disappointed that I finally read this book and will definitely explore more by Mary Shelley. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
None of the characters had much of a personality except for the monster, which Cait thinks is the point. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
While I completely enjoy Mary Shelley's style of writing, I found the main character, Dr. Victor Frankenstein, to be rather annoying and hard to read about. In my honest opinion he's a pansy who can't "take care of business" (so to speak) and doesn't act responsible in any way, shape, or form. I have far more sympathy for his creature, who was a slave to the environment he had been born unto.
  Melumebelle | Aug 8, 2013 |
Apart from the text of the novel, this edition includes more than 150 pages of additional material as follows: Introduction --
Chronology of Mary Shelley's life and work --
Historical context of Frankenstein --
Interpretive notes --
Critical excerpts --
Questions for discussion --
Suggestions for the Interested reader.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743487583, Mass Market Paperback)

Frankenstein, loved by many decades of readers and praised by such eminent literary critics as Harold Bloom, seems hardly to need a recommendation. If you haven't read it recently, though, you may not remember the sweeping force of the prose, the grotesque, surreal imagery, and the multilayered doppelgänger themes of Mary Shelley's masterpiece. As fantasy writer Jane Yolen writes of this (the reviewer's favorite) edition, "The strong black and whites of the main text [illustrations] are dark and brooding, with unremitting shadows and stark contrasts. But the central conversation with the monster--who owes nothing to the overused movie image … but is rather the novel's charnel-house composite--is where [Barry] Moser's illustrations show their greatest power ... The viewer can all but smell the powerful stench of the monster's breath as its words spill out across the page. Strong book-making for one of the world's strongest and most remarkable books." Includes an illuminating afterword by Joyce Carol Oates.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:07 -0400)

Victor Frankenstein has discovered the secret of generating life from lifeless matter, and has created a monster being by using this terrible power.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439475, 0141024445

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,071,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible