Frankenstein [Enriched Classics] by Mary…

Frankenstein [Enriched Classics]

by Mary Shelley

2,197414,448 (3.78)4

Mary Shelley's romantic novel first published in 1818 anonymously has been the inspiration for movie monster makers. Since the first film adaptation in 1823, Shelley's creation has been brought to life over 50 times, not including cameo appearances. Frankenstein is the source of nightmares, but what many don't realize is that Shelley's novel is a classic piece of romantic literature. You may deem me romantic, my dear sister, but I bitterly feel the want of a friend. Victor Frankenstein's experiment is told through a collection of letters and manuscript of events written by Captain Robert Walton to his sister Margaret. Walton's account of Victors life and creation of his monster, often referred to as Frankenstein, ring to life Romanticism. Victor's desire to explore the unknown, all of the character's focus on individuality, the emphasis on nature as well as the individual's surroundings are all tenets of romantic literature. A new species would bless me as its creator and source; many happy and excellent natures would owe their being to me. No father could claim the gratitude of his child so completely as I should deserve theirs. Literary movements aside, is a story filled with love and the significance of a bond between two people. Walton sets out on his voyage to the North Pole in an effort to find himself. His relationship with his sister is strong, but his desire to achieve something of importance in his life is greater. While is primarily that of a narrator, his story is the driving force of the novel. Without his quest to "change his stars," he would never have crossed paths with the man who ultimately changed his life. This manuscript will doubtless afford you the greatest pleasure: but to me, who know him, and who hear it from his own lips, with what interest and sympathy shall I read it in some future day! Victor's life, in contrast, is one filled with more than a fair share of heartache. Driven by the death of his mother, Victor throws himself into science. He undertakes the creation of a human only to be repulsed by the results. The 8' monster with yellow eyes and skin is quickly dismissed by Victor, jumpstarting the rest of the novels series of events. The monster seek vengeance from the moment he is shunned and the speed of the novel keeps up the pace of events until the very end. Seek happiness in tranquility, and avoid ambition, even if it be only the apparently innocent one of distinguishing yourself in science and discoveries.

For this review and more visit my blog: Under Literary Construction
  CJ82487 | Mar 20, 2018 |
A classic but long winded. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
Interesting to read the original - you see adaptations of the book, but it's neat to see the differences. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
It gets lonely when you're a monster. Shelley makes us look at the inhuman aspects of ourselves. When what we create gets out of hand isn't it still our fault? ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
A classic "ghost" story. Victor Frankenstein pursues science to its logical extreme to create life, and he is immediately horrified at his own success. The monster, however, is intelligent and resourceful and comes to understand his own loneliness and therefore seeks revenge on his creator. There are many unexplained occurences (How'd the monster find the ship? or get Henry Clerval's body onto the very shore that Frankenstein would wind up on?) especially for today's more savvy reader, but it's still a masterpiece.

UPDATE October 5, 2012
Simon Vance does a superb job narrating the audio (for Tantor Unabridged Classics). My heart breaks for the monster as he relates his loneliness and despair. Of course, I do not condone his way of trying to fix his condition! ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 20, 2016 |
Apart from the text of the novel, this edition includes more than 150 pages of additional material as follows: Introduction --
Chronology of Mary Shelley's life and work --
Historical context of Frankenstein --
Interpretive notes --
Critical excerpts --
Questions for discussion --
Suggestions for the Interested reader.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743487583, Mass Market Paperback)

Frankenstein, loved by many decades of readers and praised by such eminent literary critics as Harold Bloom, seems hardly to need a recommendation. If you haven't read it recently, though, you may not remember the sweeping force of the prose, the grotesque, surreal imagery, and the multilayered doppelgänger themes of Mary Shelley's masterpiece. As fantasy writer Jane Yolen writes of this (the reviewer's favorite) edition, "The strong black and whites of the main text [illustrations] are dark and brooding, with unremitting shadows and stark contrasts. But the central conversation with the monster--who owes nothing to the overused movie image … but is rather the novel's charnel-house composite--is where [Barry] Moser's illustrations show their greatest power ... The viewer can all but smell the powerful stench of the monster's breath as its words spill out across the page. Strong book-making for one of the world's strongest and most remarkable books." Includes an illuminating afterword by Joyce Carol Oates.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:07 -0400)

Presents Mary Shelley's classic novel "Frankenstein," and contains a concise introduction, chronology of Shelley's life, an outline of key themes and plots, explanatory notes, and critical analysis.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,375,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible