Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Tao of Travel: Enlightenments from Lives…

The Tao of Travel: Enlightenments from Lives on the Road

by Paul Theroux

191661,769 (3.52)6

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
This is a very engaging sampler of passages from a wide array of travel writers. Theroux groups his selection into interesting categories: Writers and the Places They Never Visited, Perverse Pleasures of the Inhospitable, Everything is Edible Somewhere. Wonderful variety from classic and modern travel writing. I enjoyed it all. Well, some of the passages about what was eaten had to be skipped. ( )
  Rayaowen | Jun 24, 2013 |
Not what I was expecting. Quotes from fellow travelers. Interesting. Just not the Theroux I was expecting. ( )
  co_coyote | Dec 23, 2012 |
Largely a series of excerpts on travel and travel writing from other writers over the years. Some gems, but a book to be sampled rather than read cover to cover. ( )
  jacoombs | Nov 9, 2011 |
A nice collection of travel philosophy compiled by master travel writer Paul Theroux. ( )
  Gantois | Aug 21, 2011 |
I have a confession to make – the reason why I wanted to read The Tao Of Travel was simply because I love traveling and I love writing. To find these two themes in one book lured me in and admittedly I started reading with a slightly more critical eye than I usually do.
One of the best known travel writers of our time, Paul Theroux, takes the reader on a wonderful tour of the genre in this collection of not only his own, but of other writers' works, ranging from the well-known, such as Mark Twain, to the underappreciated, such as Samuel Johnson. While it's usually risky to compile such an anthology without making the result look like a wild and inconsistent mix, this one is an utter delight.
This great compilation of quotes and excerpts dips into themes like railway travels, travelers who never went alone, traveling as an ordeal, and even imaginary journeys, and it is seasoned with travel wisdoms by people like Freya Stark and Robert Louis Stevenson. Apart from being a wonderful book that is not only a philosophical guide, but also reminiscent of the early days of ethnological works, it literally made me want to grab a notebook and hop onto the next train to a far away land. I expected a lot when I first opened this book and I got more than I could have ever asked for.
In short: This work belongs on every travelers bookshelf. Delightful and profound! ( )
  BLehner | Apr 4, 2011 |
Equally engaging are the author’s brief rumination on disgusting meals and how they tasted and his quick peek into the lives of the spouses, friends and lovers who went along for the ride as largely invisible sidekicks on some of history's great travel adventures. Alternatively pious and irreverent, this is an uneasy almanac of favorite quotes and advice for the would-be tourist that broadly features travel as a trope for personal enlightenment.
added by John_Vaughan | editKirkus (Jul 21, 2011)

Theroux himself says: “From an early age I longed to leave home and to keep going. I cannot imagine not traveling.” Here he comes home to his library and takes us on a journey around his favorite authors. Most books clearly belong on bookshelves, and some on coffee tables. Others are known in Britain as “loo books” — ideal companions for those sedentary moments of solitude. “The Tao of Travel,” part compendium of quotations, part miscellany of literary pondering, might be one of those. Yet it’s also a more philosophical undertaking than that might imply.
added by John_Vaughan | editNY Times, Henry Shukman (Jul 14, 2011)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0547336918, Bonded Leather)

Paul Theroux celebrates fifty years of wandering the globe by collecting the best writing on travel from the books that shaped him, as a reader and a traveler. Part philosophical guide, part miscellany, part reminiscence, The Tao of Travel enumerates “The Contents of Some Travelers’ Bags” and exposes “Writers Who Wrote about Places They Never Visited”; tracks extreme journeys in “Travel as an Ordeal” and highlights some of “Travelers’ Favorite Places.” Excerpts from the best of Theroux’s own work are interspersed with selections from travelers both familiar and unexpected:

Vladimir Nabokov           J.R.R. Tolkien
Mark Twain                     Anton Chekhov
Bruce Chatwin                  John McPhee
Freya Stark                      Peter Matthiessen
Graham Greene                Ernest Hemingway

The Tao of Travel is a unique tribute to the pleasures and pains of travel in its golden age.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:24 -0400)

A collection of writings from Paul Theroux's fifty years of travel. Included are writings from other travelers such as Charles Dickens, Eudora Welty, Anton Chekhov, Ernest Hemingway and many others.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241144647, 0141044268

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,702,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible