Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier

Thirteen Moons

by Charles Frazier

I loved this book, takes place in the time period of early settlement of America. It reminded me of my dad and also made me sort of yearn for a time when things were simpler. I would not have been sorry to have been born a native American, but certainly not this late in their history - maybe a hundred years or so before that when the Americans hadn't begun meddling in their affairs. The main character often lives off of his horse, camping and traveling about, much of the time alone - what a great life that would be. Some element of the mystical only adds to an already good story. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
Basically, Thirteen Moons is about Will Cooper. The book opens with him as a 12 year old being sent to run a trading post on the Indian Nation as a bound boy. Throughout the book you see Will's growth from child to adult to old age. This is a beautifully written book. Charles Frazier has a way with words that really make you feel as though you are in the scene. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 15, 2016 |
this was the slowest reading story I ever tried... SO boring. I thought maybe if I listened to it on disc that it would be more entertaining, so I was listening in my car...and the guy reading it was even *more* boring than ME reading it. I am lucky I didn't drive off a bridge. ( )
  ER1116 | Jan 13, 2016 |
Unlike many of the other reviewers, I haven't read Cold Mountain; this is my first encounter with Charles Frazier.

There is a lot about this book that I liked. The writing is great -- almost poetic at times, ironical at others -- the writing conveyed the mood of the scenes so well. I felt very moved by the stories about the Removal. The author created a sharp sense of time and place.

The story was interesting, telling the life story of Will Cooper, an orphan bound to a merchant who is adopted by an Indian tribe. Will becomes a lawyer and a politician, as well as a leader in the Indian tribe. He has one great love -- Claire -- and that story is captivating.

My only criticism is that I found it hard to really identify with Will, and though the book was a big long as a result. ( )
  LynnB | Nov 23, 2015 |
'Everyone deserves a second chance' is a good aphorism to live by. Several years ago I tried to read Cold Mountain but found it too artsy and self-conscious and wasn't able to get past the first 50 pp. As a result, Charles Frazier slid off my reader screen. That is, until I acquired the CD book Thirteen Moons beautifully read by Will Patton whose voice characterized the tragic star-crossed Will Cooper from bound boy in the 1830s to very old man in the new century.

The plot concerns the struggles of Will and the Cherokee Indians who adopt him to find a way, place, home, and love as they combat villainous gamblers and the legal machinations of the Federal Government to move them from their traditional homeland secreted in the Smoky Mountains of the Carolinas to resettlement in the Oklahoma Territories in what is known to history as the Trail of Tears emigration.

Frazier respects his callow hero and the Indians who accept him and foster his survival in the wilderness. Their native respect for Nature and Will's growing appreciation for the Nation are well portrayed. In fact, the small fault in this novel is the frequent and too rhapsodic descriptions of the environment, which becomes a character in itself. Admittedly, this may be intentional considering the book's title is the Indian calculation of a year -- thirteen phases of the moon.

Frazier combines effective action, tender yearning, and intellectually satisfying exploration of a boy growing into manhood, suffering triumphs and losses, great rewards and bitter betrayals. Will Cooper symbolizes the young United States as its history and his fortunes are traced from the early 19th C. wild and unformed frontier to the railroad-tamed and industrialized early 20th C. developed power, all of which occurs during his lifetime.

Frazier's novel is a grand saga written in depth and with abundant love that will be enjoyed by readers who like to wallow in a rich reading experience that is enhanced by thoughtful contemplation and fully realized characterizations. In short, it's an ideal winter read that invites introspection while enjoying an armchair all-American adventure. ( )
  Limelite | Aug 19, 2015 |

Charles Frazierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smit, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charles O. Frazier and William F. Beal, Jr.
There is no scatheless rapture.

At the age of twelve, an orphan named Will Cooper is given a horse, a key, and a map and is sent on a journey through the uncharted wilderness of the Cherokee Nation. Will is a bound boy, obliged to run a remote Indian trading post. As he fulfills his lonesome duty, Will finds a father in Bear, a Cherokee chief, and is adopted by him and his people, developing relationships that ultimately forge Will’s character. All the while, his love of Claire, the enigmatic and captivating charge of volatile and powerful Featherstone, will forever rule Will’s heart. In a voice filled with both humor and yearning, Will tells of a lifelong search for home, the hunger for fortune and adventure, the rebuilding of a trampled culture, and above all an enduring pursuit of passion.

Named ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR by
Los Angeles Times Book Review, Chicago Tribune,
and St. Louis Post-Dispatch

“A literary journey of magnitude . . . Thirteen Moons belongs to the ages.”
–Los Angeles Times

“A boisterous, confident novel that draws from the epic tradition: It tips its hat to Don Quixote as well as Twain and Melville, and it boldly sets out to capture a broad swatch of America’s story in the mid-nineteenth century.”
–The Boston Globe

“Frazier works on an epic scale, but his genius is in the details–he has a scholar’s command of the physical realities of early America and a novelist’s gift for bringing them to life.”
–Time

“A powerhouse second act . . . a brilliant success.”
–The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

“Compulsively readable . . . a fitting successor to Cold Mountain.”
–St. Louis Post-Dispatch

“Magical . . . fascinating and moving . . . You will find much to admire and savor in Thirteen Moons.”
–USA Today

“Genius.”
–Time

“Mesmerizing . . . a bountiful literary panorama . . . The history that Frazier hauntingly unwinds through Will is as melodic as it is melancholy, but the sublime love story is the narrative’s true heart.”
–Publishers Weekly (starred review)

“Brimming with vivid, adventurous incident.”
–Raleigh News & Observer

“Reading a Frazier novel is like listening to a fine symphony. . . . Take the time to savor Frazier’s work, to take in each thought, to relish the turn of phrase or the imagery of a craftsman.”
–The Denver Post

“[Four stars] . . . Commanding . . . Frazier’s faithful will not be disappointed.”
–People

“Superbly entertaining.”
–Richmond Times-Dispatch

“Fascinating . . . vivid and alive.”
–Newsweek

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:02 -0400)

At the age of twelve, under the Wind moon, Will is given a horse, a key, and a map, and sent alone into the Indian Nation to run a trading post as a bound boy. It is during this time that he grows into a man, learning, as he does, of the raw power it takes to create a life, to find a home. In a card game with a white Indian named Featherstone, Will wins a mysterious girl named Claire. As Will's destiny intertwines with the fate of the Cherokee Indians, including a Cherokee Chief named Bear, he learns how to fight and survive in the face of both nature and men, and eventually, under the Corn Tassel Moon, Will begins the fight against Washington City to preserve the Cherokee's homeland and culture. And he will come to know the truth behind his belief that only desire trumps time.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,143,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible