If You Were Here by Jen Lancaster

If You Were Here

by Jen Lancaster

Recently added byUberButter, Bookiebeth, Kathiroo, private library, kosana, agille37, Connie-D, cygnet81

If You Were Here by Jen Lancaster

★ ★ ★

If you've read Jen Lancaster's many memoirs, your not missing much with her debut novel If You Were Here. Sure – it's cute and funny but it's pretty much just a fictionalized version of Jen's (and her husband's) life – if she bought a mansion with too many issues to fix and the antics that follow. Which I can see happening from reading her memoirs. Good book but nothing great. And I did enjoy the homage to late John Hughes.

As a side note – I listened to the audio version of this book. The voice of narrator grinded on my nerves from beginning to end, which may have dampened my experience of this book. ( )
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
This is not her best work but it was still a fun book to read/listen to. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
3.5 stars

Mia and Mac are married and desperately looking to buy a house and get out of their rental. When they are surprised to come across the mansion that Jake Ryan (the character from Sixteen Candles) “lived” in in their price range, Mia insists on jumping on it. Of course, it's a wreck, so the book follows the trials and tribulations of trying to get the mansion livable + dealing with snobby neighbours + Mia trying to write another book.

I enjoyed this. It is Jen Lancaster's first novel, and yes, Mia and Mac sound very much like Jen and her husband, Fletch. I didn't find it as funny as some of her memoirs, but I still enjoyed it. I listened to the audio and I thought the woman who was narrating did a good job – that is, she sounded just like I felt like Mia (or maybe even Jen!) might sound. ( )
  LibraryCin | Dec 30, 2015 |
A "found" book from somewhere, which I am registering it for BookCrossing. This is an author I tend to like, so was delighted to add this to my TBR pile. However, I gave up on it. The footnoting drove me crazy, and the story just didn't appeal all that much, maybe having been immersed in the world of house hunting and home improvement far too recently. Plus, I didn't particularly like the main character. Another time, perhaps.

Tags: an-author-i-read, thought-i-was-gonna-like, released-unfinished, don-t-want-to-rate
1 vote bookczuk | Sep 14, 2014 |
Thirtysomethings Mia and Mack fall in love with "Jake Ryan's" house (the character from Sixteen Candles) and buy it, despite it being a disaster in terms of needed repairs. The hyperbole of their experiences, from $45 lightbulbs to toilets falling through the ceiling, are funny enough, but Mia's own attitude adds to the hilarity. Basically Mia is Lancaster if she were the author of teen Amish zombie romance novels who also makes poor real estate choices, so if you've liked any of her memoirs, you'll get a kick out of this tale. ( )
  melydia | Jun 21, 2013 |
From the very first page... check that - from the Author's notes, before the very first page, this book was off to a very good start. Having read Jen Lancaster's previous books (memoir style) I could hear her as the voice of Mia and it was hilarious. She was so 'real' that it made each and every step of the process (moving and renovation) so incredibly real that I could see not only Mia (Jen) in that position but also myself. I found that I was laughing out loud at each and every turn of events that Mia and Mac encountered.

Footnotes - normally when a book has footnotes, it is a sure thing that the book has too much detail... having to describe what you are talking about in a 'footnote' generally isn't a good thing. However, the over 100 footnotes in this book were so much fun... each and every one added a personal touch that not only added to the story but made it, once again, so real! The sarcastic comments were perfectly placed. Being a sarcastic person myself, I could actually imagine many of the thoughts myself.

With Mia being a 'Zombie' author, I thoroughly enjoyed all the digs that were taken at Stephenie Meyer (author of the famed Twilight series... aka - vampire). Being a fan of the Twilight series, I loved it! I can imagine Stephenie Meyer reading the book and giggling along with each jab that came her way (or at least I hope she did... see the author's note at the beginning of the book). I was sort of hoping that one of the comments on the book jacket would have been from her.

Overall, a fun, well thought out novel. Jen Lancaster has now officially made her mark in fiction-land and I hope that she is here to stay! Well done!!

"If You Were Here follows Amish-zombie-teen- romance author Mia and her husband Mac (and their pets) through the alternately frustrating, exciting, terrifying-but always funny-process of buying and renovating their first home in the Chicago suburbs that John Hughes's movies made famous. Along their harrowing renovation journey, Mia and Mac get caught up in various wars with the homeowners' association, meet some less-than-friendly neighbors, and are joined by a hilarious cast of supporting characters, including a celebutard ex- landlady. As they struggle to adapt to their new surroundings- with Mac taking on the renovations himself- Mia and Mac will discover if their marriage is strong enough to survive months of DIY renovations"--Amazon.com.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,260,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible