Cybill Disobedience by Cybill Shepherd

Cybill Disobedience

by Cybill Shepherd

Other authors: Aimee Lee Ball

As celebrity autobios go, I think this one is pretty excellent. I didn't know much about Cybill Shepherd before reading it, but I liked the pun in the title. I'm now quite anxious to check out "Moonlighting," the TV show she did with an all-but-unheard-of Bruce Willis, and a few of her movies. The book itself was thoughtful and amusing, managing to drop plenty of names without seeming to do so gratuitously.

Also, I had no idea she was rather an outspoken feminist activist, and I found myself unexpectedly moved to admiration a few times by the choices she made (though other parts of the book, like her matter-of-fact promiscuity, were interesting without being at all appealing). ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
I found the story about her childhood interesting, but on the whole I didn't really enjoy this book. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
I'm glad I didn't pay for this; the Kindle version was free.

This book is about two things, basically: one, how many men Cybill Shepherd has been with in her life (and she brings to mind a phrase I've heard my mother use about people like her: "She'd sleep with a snake if someone held its head still"), and two, how many people in Hollywood hate her without reason.

She is not particularly interesting, and neither is her story.

I give it two stars because I did manage to finish it, and a few parts were interesting. Overall, though - don't waste your time. ( )
  MSFJones | Apr 1, 2013 |
I remember hearing that Cybill Shepherd's autobiography was a major tell-all when it was released back in 2000. I love celebrity gossip but somehow never got around to reading it so when it was offered as a free Kindle book last year I snagged it.

Cybill definitely tells all about her sexual escapades but didn't tell very much about anything else. I would have liked to know more about the more personal aspects of her life. This book was basically, "Here is the project I worked on and who I slept with while I was working on it." There was an extra big dose of ego throughout as well.

Another large part of the book was Cybill trying to disprove her difficult to work with reputation. I thought it was kind of funny - if almost everyone you work with has a problem with you, maybe you should look inward. Because the book came out right after the television series Cybill came out, Cybill spends a disproportionate amount of the book writing about that series and her conflicts with the network, director, and her costars.

I recommend this book to only the most die-hard US Weekly readers or Cybill Shepherd fans. ( )
  mcelhra | May 7, 2012 |
A fun read, but a little defensive at times. It seemed as if she wrote this book to say "All those people who didn't like me just didn't understand what I was going through at the time". There is one common denominator in all her failed work relationships, herself. But still a fun read, just a little uber-defensive. ( )
  bookwormteri | Jul 16, 2007 |

Shepherd, Cybillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ball, Aimee Leesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

How I Survived Beauty Pageants, Elvis, Sex, Bruce Willis, Lies, Marriage, Motherhood, Hollywood, and the Irrepressible Urge to Say What I Think.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:10 -0400)

This successful beauty queen, movie star, model, television comedienne, mother, cabaret singer, and champion of women's rights reminisces about her past three decades in the public eye.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,493,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible