The Restorer (The Graveyard Queen) by Amanda…

The Restorer (The Graveyard Queen) (edition 2011)

by Amanda Stevens

Member:AllisonKraft
Title:The Restorer (The Graveyard Queen)
Authors:Amanda Stevens
Info:Mira (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 384 pages

The Restorer by Amanda Stevens

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
Ghosts (50)

English (64)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  All (67)
The Restorer
4.5 Stars

Narration: Khristine Hvam's soft southern accent is perfect for conveying the haunting atmosphere of the story.

The characters, both primary and secondary, are well developed and interesting. Amelia is intelligent and inquisitive but lonely and somewhat emotionally and socially inept due to her "gift" and her upbringing. It is endearing to see her experience new things and slowly come out of her shell with Devlin, who is oh-so sexy and honorable but also dark, haunted and tortured. Their intense physical attraction and burgeoning emotional bond is captivating, although their one intimate scene is a tad too twisted perhaps even bordering on the grotesque, which may not have been what Stevens was striving for.

The mystery is excellent with some clever red herrings that are completely misleading when it comes to identifying the killer although, in hindsight, there are more than enough clues to figure it out.

The graveyard imagery and symbolism is fascinating and the creepy atmosphere and gothic influences definitely give you the shivers.

All in all, an original and compelling premise and I look forward to continuing with the series, which will hopefully provide answers to the numerous unanswered questions left at the end of this installment, such as the secret that Amelia's parents are keeping from her and the precise nature of the ghosts that she can see and the aggressive shadow that she encounters. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Enjoyable gothic style story, encapsulating the creepy atmosphere of the graveyard perfectly. I was impressed in the way the author ended the story; too often I find the girl jumps into bed a complete stranger without thinking. I'm looking forward to reading more of this series. ( )
  yas4735 | May 1, 2018 |
Started out interesting and I thought the main character presented as a strong independent woman. She's not and the plot devolved into a convoluted mess. ( )
  Omegawega | Mar 31, 2018 |
OK, Amelia Grey has an unusual occupation. She restores old graveyards. Amelia also has an unusual ability to see ghosts. Interestingly enough, she doesn't see ghosts in the graveyards that she restores. The ghosts that she sees are the ones that are following others.

This book is the first of three in a series and I really enjoyed it. I liked the way the author had a storyline and stuck with it throughout the entire book. The story ended with a nice wrap up but you know that the characters will continue to the next book. This book made me feel like I was watching an episode of a favorite mystery show on TV.

This was a quick and easy read and I have already started book two, The Kingdom. ( )
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
This was just ok for me. It wasn't quite as spooky as I was expecting. I got a bit confused with all the different "investigations" going on and I thought the resolution was really rushed at the end. Not sure if I will read the next in the series or not. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
I was nine when I saw my first ghost.

Never acknowledge the dead.
Never stray far from hallowed ground.
Never get close to the haunted.
Never, ever tempt fate.

My name is Amelia Gray. I'm a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. In order to protect myself from the parasitic nature of the dead, I've always held fast to these rules passed down from my father…until now.

Detective John Devlin needs my help to find a killer, but he is haunted by ghosts who shadow his every move. To warn him would be to invite them into my life. I've vowed to keep my distance, but the pull of his magnetism grows ever stronger even as the headstone symbols lead me closer to truth and to the gossamer veil that separates this world from the next.

"My name is Amelia Gray. I'm a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. In order to protect myself from the parasitic nature of the dead, I've always held fast to the rules passed down from my father. But now a haunted police detective has entered my world and everything is changing, including the rules that have always kept me safe. It started with the discovery of a young woman's brutalized body in an old Charleston graveyard I've been hired to restore. The clues to the killer--and to his other victims--lie in the headstone symbolism that only I can interpret. Devlin needs my help, but his ghosts shadow his every move, feeding off his warmth, sustaining their presence with his energy. To warn him would be to invite them into my life. I've vowed to keep my distance, but the pull of his magnetism grows ever stronger even as the symbols lead me closer to the killer and to the gossamer veil that separates this world from the next."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,497,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible